What was life like in the 90s? Vol. Old heads chime in

When yo-yos were cool this was the one I messed with
1659481327119.jpeg

I had a Duncan one as well but I didn’t like it too much. :lol:

Thought and still think J-lo is overrated. People made a big deal about her cakes in that green dress but it looks average to me
That’s like saying 80’s rappers are overrated compared to todays rappers. J’lo’s *** in the mainstream was groundbreaking. Yeah she wasn’t crazy back in the day either, but we don’t get to Nicki and Megan level assess today without J’lo’s *** in that green dress first.

Depending on which part of the world you were living in.

In the Philippines
- Early 90s
- listening to NWA for the first time as a kid, just mesmerized with all the cursing
- MTV was awesome, just getting to see new music videos and to see which artists was awesome. Plus you didn't need cable TV to see it. The antenna signals could pick it up.
- cable TV: the house that had cable TV was a chill spot for everyone. Eventually, everyone got cable. Speaking of which, CNN was the bible for all news at that time. Whatever CNN reported, people believed it right away.

In Canada

- second half of the 90s
-going to the US was awesome, it had all the cool stores like Niketown, Champs, Footlocker etc. All the clothing brands were cooler too and cheaper. Lugz, phat farm, enyce, avirex etc. Even the nike gear was better in the US.
- Always enthralled with all the clothing advetisements I saw at The Source Mag
- listening to CDs at HMV to preview the album
- making mix tapes
- got a cd writer, so I was able to burn CDs instead and sell mix CDs
- alternative music
- nirvana from the early 90s
- green day
- silverchair
- offspring (before the "pretty fly for a white guy" hit)
- Rap and Hip Hip Drama
- snoop and dr dre's first album in 93
- death row records
- death row vs bad boy at the source awards
- other artists warren g, big pun, outkast, tribe called quest until the love album, q tip going solo after

- hearing underground artists like ugk and spice 1
- no limit takeover with master p, c murda, silk the shocker, mystikal (before "shake that a$s")
- wu tang and the solo careers of their members - back then Meth was considered the best. But looking back, ghost face killer rose up further imo, ODB had his niche, and I came to apppreciate GZA's liquid swords album more. And RZA's producing skills.
-2 pac and big dying - which led to the bad boy era - they pretty much ruled until the 2000.
- puff daddy and mase
- donald trump and puff daddy being buddy buddies

- MTV and MuchMusic for music videos. MTV music awards and MTV Movie awards were the best
- photoshop at school. Started learning Photoshop on Photoshop 4.0 in PowerPCs.
- pirated software and music mp3 files via mIRC ( it was discord before discord ). That's where hashtags started so you can easily search through history since it's just channels and chat rooms galore.
- ICQ (the original messenger chat app before msn, yahoo messenger, and aol). I still remember my ICQ# like its my phone number.
- chat rooms from the big search engines back then (yahoo, excite, lycos, angelfire [google didn't blow up yet and they didnt have chat rooms]).
- it was all about picking up girls at the mall, had a pad and pen ready LOL.
- home line, making sure no one listening on the other phones i'm talking to girls
- when playing ball, my bball shoe had to last 1 year. My outdoor shoe was the same as my indoor shoe.
- NBA - jordan era and start of the iverson, kobe, duncan, garnett era
- NHL - gretzky and Lemiuex still playing (for those of you that care)

Late 90s around 98-99
- In the philippines, every high school senior had a cell phone. Text msging galore. Nokia 5100 series phones ruled. Custom ringtones casings, accessories etc. It was a status symbol too. If you were balling, you had the $1000 nokia 8810 phone. Everyone was obsessed with how much txt and minutes they got left. Other countries outside asia eventually followed the pattern starting in the 2000s.

In the Philippines
- Early 90s
- listening to NWA for the first time as a kid, just mesmerized with all the cursing
- MTV was awesome, just getting to see new music videos and to see which artists was awesome. Plus you didn't need cable TV to see it. The antenna signals could pick it up.
- cable TV: the house that had cable TV was a chill spot for everyone. Eventually, everyone got cable. Speaking of which, CNN was the bible for all news at that time. Whatever CNN reported, people believed it right away.

In Canada

- second half of the 90s
-going to the US was awesome, it had all the cool stores like Niketown, Champs, Footlocker etc. All the clothing brands were cooler too and cheaper. Lugz, phat farm, enyce, avirex etc. Even the nike gear was better in the US.
- making mix tapes
- alternative music
- green day
- silverchair
- Rap and Hip Hip Drama
- death row records
- other artists warren g, big pun, outkast, tribe called quest until the love album, q tip going solo after

- no limit takeover with master p, c murda, silk the shocker, mystikal (before "shake that a$s")
- wu tang and the solo careers of their members - back then Meth was considered the best. But looking back, ghost face killer rose up further imo, ODB had his niche, and I came to apppreciate GZA's liquid swords album more. And RZA's producing skills.
-2 pac and big dying - which led to the bad boy era - they pretty much ruled until the 2000.
- puff daddy and mase

- MTV and MuchMusic for music videos. MTV music awards and MTV Movie awards were the best
- pirated software and music mp3 files via mIRC ( it was discord before discord ). That's where hashtags started so you can easily search through history since it's just channels and chat rooms galore.
- ICQ (the original messenger chat app before msn, yahoo messenger, and aol). I still remember my ICQ# like its my phone number.
- chat rooms from the big search engines back then (yahoo, excite, lycos, angelfire [google didn't blow up yet and they didnt have chat rooms]).
- home line, making sure no one listening on the other phones i'm talking to girls
- when playing ball, my bball shoe had to last 1 year. My outdoor shoe was the same as my indoor shoe.

Late 90s around 98-99
- In the philippines, every high school senior had a cell phone. Text msging galore. Nokia 5100 series phones ruled. Custom ringtones casings, accessories etc. It was a status symbol too. If you were balling, you had the $1000 nokia 8810 phone. Everyone was obsessed with how much txt and minutes they got left. Other countries outside asia eventually followed the pattern starting in the 2000s.
The feel of listening to an album at the CD store before you purchase the CD was an amazing feeling! A lot of times they always had the edited version for you to listen, but it still was a good experience lol. Music today is too accessible, which isn’t a bad thing, but you appreciated it more back then because it wasn’t as accessible.

Last edited:
Thought and still think J-lo is overrated. People made a big deal about her cakes in that green dress but it looks average to me
100% overrated. It was bigger than average white girls and she wasn't a black woman. So the media acted like it was the greatest thing ever

No Fear bumper stickers. Not sure what was up with that, but I guess it's sort of self explanatory.

I really miss getting excited for an upcoming album, then rushing to a record store as soon as I could when it came out.

No Fear bumper stickers. Not sure what was up with that, but I guess it's sort of self explanatory.

I really miss getting excited for an upcoming album, then rushing to a record store as soon as I could when it came out.
It was a clothing brand. If it was around today it would be what the reflective colored Oakley crowed would be wearing.

In the Philippines
- Early 90s

In Canada

- second half of the 90s
- making mix tapes
- alternative music
- green day
- silverchair
- Rap and Hip Hip Drama
- death row records

- puff daddy and mase

Late 90s around 98-99
90's hockey you also had Nike buying the major hockey gear company Canstar & releasing those weird white skates. also I am unsure if that's when Nike's use of the "Vapor" term started, Bauer was the heaviest Canstar brand in da 90s & Bauer Vapor Skates came out about 1998 believe. Nike never eliminated Bauer branding & would eventually sell Canstar in like 2008.

Originally from the Gulf Coast in Mississippi...No limit, Cash money, ugk, dj screw, Scarface nas, mobb deep, noreaga Capone, ghost face, raekwon, method man, OutKast, trick daddy, 3-6, Tupac, rap city, yo mtv raps, polo, tommy, Nautica, Karl kani, iceberg, girbaud, pelle pelle, Jordans, Huarache, deions, Barkley's, pippens, Penny's, starter, Rockport, Eastland, uncle's were heavy in the game so european cars, bbs rims, triple gold spokes, gold teeth, gold chains, bmx bikes with matching color mag rims, mongoose with gold spokes, candy lady's, frozen cups, Mj, Primetime Deion, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, saved by the bell, fresh prince, family matters, step by step, Martin, living single, Doug, Rugrats, Simpsons, Daria, beavis & butthead, tecmo bowl, NBA jam, dirt cheap lbs from Texas, sports from Sun up to Sun down. Clear beepers, Nokia phones, Sums up my 90's

Back in the late 90s .. kids were outside, parks we're filled.. footballs.. basketball..
Neighborhood filled the street with kids playing.. riding Rollerblades/bikes.. hide and seek. Tag.

I was one of those kids. :pimp:

its interesting to me to be in a time where people couldn't keep tabs on you 24/7

you would just call the house and leave a message if you wanted to reach someone

i feel like internet has made ppl feell they can live far apart yet "feel" closer together and i think its the complete opposite, i have fam who even live 60 miles away and it feels like they aren't part of my life anymore even though we speak every day

Average by what standards?

The average woman doesn't have a backside like that.

#NTExtremes

What I would say is much like Kim she was praised for something black woman have possessed since the beginning of time.

But nothing about J.Lo's bACKSIDE was AVERAGE.

90's hockey you also had Nike buying the major hockey gear company Canstar & releasing those weird white skates. also I am unsure if that's when Nike's use of the "Vapor" term started, Bauer was the heaviest Canstar brand in da 90s & Bauer Vapor Skates came out about 1998 believe. Nike never eliminated Bauer branding & would eventually sell Canstar in like 2008.

CCM Tacks for life :pimp: Had the pumps, regulars, kevlar joints with the greenish stiching. Uff-da.

Well if there's one thing I don't miss is you were still considered a bit of a weirdo if you played video games. Sure you could play them, but it had better be mainly sports games, and you needed to assure your circle you weren't like "those other kids" who played games.

I also remember people would say damn near anything to each other without there being a fight. We were pretty brutal to each other with words looking back now.

CCM Tacks for life :pimp: Had the pumps, regulars, kevlar joints with the greenish stiching. Uff-da.
word I have the wide forefoot/narrow heel thing going on, Tacks were perfect. liked the gel in the ankles of Bauer 1000 range (had the 4000's actually) but they were kinda narrowish, Micron Air 90's were good but broke down after a season. I still have the impossibly stiff Kevlar reinforced CCM 952 Tacks but the toe caved in on em last time I checked. haven't skated in 10+ years just don't have the time or $$$$, I can't believe how expensive new skates are these days you're easily spending $1000. can see why Nike thought hockey gear was a good gamble it's very niche/ expensive

Last edited:
I agree one of the better things from the 90s is the fact that you couldn't be accounted for at all times, all you had to do was be patient and wait for a response. It's not the case now, and it's horrible.
So true, if you were MIA for a while no one would really think anything. But now theres social media, texting and all that where people can try to reach you and expect an immediate response.

Back
Top Bottom