What was the most anticipated Album in Hip-Hop? Vol. Doggystyle?

Listening to some old G-Unit mixtapes and it had me thinking how 50 had the game on lock circa 2002.
His buzz prior to "Get Rich or Die Tryin" was ridiculous, probably the most anticipated that i could remember. I'm 20 BTW.

I Just wanted to know what you guys think? I heard Nas had a big buzz around the time of "Illmatic"
As well as Snoop for "Doggystyle", from what i read, might have been the most anticipated.
Wayne sold a Million in a week with "Tha Carter III" with a big buzz as well.

So from what i can see, the cream of the crop when it comes to Most anticipated is:

Tha Carter III
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Marshall Mathers LP
Doggystyle
Illmatic

Which ones am i missing? cause i'm doing this off the top of my head and

Which album was most anticipated?

nerd.gif

Yeah, i would imagine, at this point..the vast majority(outside of Dre loyalists) could give a %%@@ about "Detox"

Myself included.

ohwell.gif

Doggystyle did have a lot of hype, as wellas Cube's Death Certificate. But I seriously doubt ANYONE has ever created a buzz like 50 had for Get Rich Or DieTrying. I was a sophmore in college and I swear to you, everyone from white, black, asian....etc was bumping this album for months! And people were mad hypefor this album to drop. Carter 3 buzz dropped off a lil cuz of how many times it was pushed back. Black Album buzz was pretty strong also. But 50 had itlocked!

Originally Posted by jmansmc23

Doggystyle did have a lot of hype, as wellas Cube's Death Certificate. But I seriously doubt ANYONE has ever created a buzz like 50 had for Get Rich Or Die Trying. I was a sophmore in college and I swear to you, everyone from white, black, asian....etc was bumping this album for months! And people were mad hype for this album to drop. Carter 3 buzz dropped off a lil cuz of how many times it was pushed back. Black Album buzz was pretty strong also. But 50 had it locked!
GRODT/ Thread
I mean theres really been no buzz like it. He had his own buzz on top of Em and Dre's respectivally just off of the cosign.
Too bad his hunger has been fed.
tired.gif

Get Rich or Die Tryin'

Every single person was playing this, this was just insane. It would have done over a million in it's first week if they shipped enough copies. Mad placessold out, it did 870K first week and then another 870K it's second week
eek.gif

Tha Carter 3 was highly anticipated by a lot of people but I didn't hear anyone playing this album but a few girls playing Lollipop
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

Get Rich or Die Tryin'

Every single person was playing this, this was just insane. It would have done over a million in it's first week if they shipped enough copies. Mad places sold out, it did 870K first week and then another 870K it's second week
eek.gif

Tha Carter 3 was highly anticipated by a lot of people but I didn't hear anyone playing this album but a few girls playing Lollipop
laugh.gif
No way,

This album was the soundtrack to the summer of '08. And i hated it
sick.gif

Out of all the albums i mentioned above, with great anticipation, Musically, this is probably the only disappointment.
The rest are undeniable classics.

I remeber LIFE AFTER DEATH having everybody on pins n needles after B.I.G died.

I cant remember needing to hear an album so badly.

Originally Posted by MJsaver

I remeber LIFE AFTER DEATH having everybody on pins n needles after B.I.G died.

I cant remember needing to hear an album so badly.

Came in here to post that...

Plus "All Eyez On Me" with Pac on Death Row and out the bing and "Stillmatic" during the Jigga riff. Esco had a lot at stake - if that %*#%was wack, Nas was done.

...and "American Gangster" after all the early reviews was sicin' it so hard.

All Eyez On Me IMO. The California Love single had dropped almost 2 months before the album. Once the video I was on the she waiting for the album.

OP I'm closer to your age so I don't remember either but I've never heard anyone say Illmatic was even close to heavily anticipated. It Was Writtenon the other hand is a different story, even I remember that.

But you right on point with GRODT. That #!$@ was amazing, stations completely disregarded the idea of singles, the whole thing was gettin pushed on the radioand that was out here on the west coast.

Originally Posted by StarkyL0ve

OP I'm closer to your age so I don't remember either but I've never heard anyone say Illmatic was even close to heavily anticipated. It Was Written on the other hand is a different story, even I remember that.
Actually, i never heard of anticipation for "Illmatic" neither, it wasn't til i seen it on NT. so i just put it up there.

this is the OP, btw.
laugh.gif

Hov's Kingdom Come would definitely fit this list. That was the "comeback album," but it disappointed many.

I remember all eyez on me. Every1 and they momma was waiting on that. I recall them doing a special about it cause kids was leaving skipping school to get itadd that 2 the fact a new pair of jordan 11's came out(i think it was the black and reds).Every1 around lunch time had a pair of jays on there feet and acopy of pac in they cd walkman.

The most hype surrounded a album (that I can remember) was definitely It was Written...

Back
Top Bottom