What was your starting salary after college?

Internships in college is so crucial. I wish they stressed this more in high school.

That being said, I start med school in August, so I won't be getting a salary for awhile. Maybe anti-salary (debt) :lol: .

As for side hustles, I have some side businesses. Currently looking into investing in an avocado farm with some friends :pimp:

This. Wish college and high school stressed this. Internship during college, graduate then boom first legit offer from that internship.

I really stressed work/internships for my sister when she was an undergrad at UCR, later transferring to UCSD, but my mom was all about getting a good GPA and whatnot. I told her, when it comes to work, it's about experience, and sometimes, college internships open up a whole world of doors for you whereas if you graduate without one, it's REALLY tough. Especially nowadays, when a lot of companies look for younger people for their internships, you can't even land one if you wanted to and/or are qualified as a slightly-older individual.

Now she's paying the price for it, but still making strides. If she worked towards an internship, though, her career path would be significantly different.

Internships in college is so crucial. I wish they stressed this more in high school.

That being said, I start med school in August, so I won't be getting a salary for awhile. Maybe anti-salary (debt) :lol: .

As for side hustles, I have some side businesses. Currently looking into investing in an avocado farm with some friends :pimp:

This. Wish college and high school stressed this. Internship during college, graduate then boom first legit offer from that internship.

I really stressed work/internships for my sister when she was an undergrad at UCR, later transferring to UCSD, but my mom was all about getting a good GPA and whatnot.
you're supposed to do both :lol: they're not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

I really stressed work/internships for my sister when she was an undergrad at UCR, later transferring to UCSD, but my mom was all about getting a good GPA and whatnot.
you're supposed to do both :lol: they're not mutually exclusive.

I know. What I meant to say was, my mom's opinion was that internships/experience was insignificant and that a strong GPA would compensate.

Interesting, I will surely take advantages of all the opportunities that the college presents to me. But quick questions, how was the first year as an analysts? Were the hours as grueling or hard as hyped? Also in terms of the MBA or no MBA argument, that makes sense. I want to work at a hedgefund and I have read that hedgefunds do look for experience that is of course unless I somehow got lucky and received a job offer out of undergrad.
The first year is always the hardest but it does get better; the mix of getting up the learning curve and being at the bottom of the IB totem pole leads to a lot of time spent on improving your skills and having a lot of work given to you. After your first year, you will be a lot faster and smarter about your work and will also have a new class of first year analysts that will take on a lot of the menial work. 

If your interest is going to work at a HF, have you looked into getting your CFA? I currently work at HF, in a separate VC/PE unit, and most of the HF traders started out from undergrad (post-banking or S&T); the few exceptions that have an MBA either went into S&T after their MBA or went directly into the role post-MBA (all H/S/W grads). 

I saw that you go to Rutgers, I know a couple ex co-workers that went there for undergrad; are you part of LIBOR (Little Investment Bankers of Rutgers)? They've both told me that it was helpful for them in building their network in school.  

I'm a Physical Therapist Assistant in Alabama. Graduated and passed the boards last year, so I have about 9 months of experience. First job I was making a little over 47k in a SNF. My current job I will make a little over 52k in acute care. Full benefits for both jobs. Will be making a move out of Alabama eventually.

Any other physical therapist or physical therapist assistants on here?

SNF/Acute make the most other than home health. Problem is that once you are in SNF/Acute, it's hard to get out. I had a lot of friends that chose to work at a SNF or Acute because it paid the most, but they didnt want to do it. Now, theyre doing max assist transfers all day, and not happy.

About to graduate with a master in Electrical Engineering and the highest offer I received was $83k. I'm already committed to going the PhD route though. I want to remain in academia and hope to become a tenured professor as well as a respected researcher. So most likely I won't be making the big bucks for quite some time.

4n0YX.gif

@SneakerReaperfellow EE man and i gotta shout u out. mad respect to ur chosen oath and hope it all goes well. hope u become a professor that can simplify ****, don't be that em fields professor that hands u the textbook and be like 'test in 2 weeks' and not teach **** :smh:

graduated and got a hookup as a design engineer for an architecture and engineering design firm in midtown manhattan. >D chill work environment and most of the office was 30 or under.

starting salary for grads was :x 45k but doesn't include overtime. *shrug* it was my first job. autocad boring as hell lol.

currently in school studying cardiac electrophysiology and device therapy. looking to become a clinical engineer. :nerd:

County corrections officer in central NJ. My dept has a ridiculous amount of overtime. Freeholders would rather pay us overtime than hire new people giving them benefits, pensions, etc. Ill have the option to retire @ 45yrs old with 65% pension + benefits. A NJ law enforcement career is the way to go
I'll be working local LE in MA in two months. If everything goes well, 80% with benefits at 50 years old. Plus all the overtime available is nuts. Our top pay with a bachelor's is $77K. There are regular patrolmen making $100K easily, and forget it if you go up the ranks. Bosses cake it. It'll be worth all the work in the long run.

Last edited:
I'm a Physical Therapist Assistant in Alabama. Graduated and passed the boards last year, so I have about 9 months of experience. First job I was making a little over 47k in a SNF. My current job I will make a little over 52k in acute care. Full benefits for both jobs. Will be making a move out of Alabama eventually.

Any other physical therapist or physical therapist assistants on here?

SNF/Acute make the most other than home health. Problem is that once you are in SNF/Acute, it's hard to get out. I had a lot of friends that chose to work at a SNF or Acute because it paid the most, but they didnt want to do it. Now, theyre doing max assist transfers all day, and not happy.

I'm content with acute care to be honest. I really do not find it difficult as most people think it is. But I did not like SNF because like you said that max to dependent transfers all day is no joke and I was not going to keep doing that. I did work at an outpatient clinic when I did my clinical rotation and it was too slow for me. I enjoyed it at times but really enjoyed seeing my patients making progress but all that damn paper work :x.

I'm content with acute care to be honest. I really do not find it difficult as most people think it is. But I did not like SNF because like you said that max to dependent transfers all day is no joke and I was not going to keep doing that. I did work at an outpatient clinic when I did my clinical rotation and it was too slow for me. I enjoyed it at times but really enjoyed seeing my patients making progress but all that damn paper work :x.

I was at a SNF for my first internship and hated it. Too assembly line for me. I have never been in a ortho clinic where it was slow, it probably has to do with the differences in location. In NYC you are expected to see about 15 patients a day at minimum unless there is cancellations.

Starting salary after graduating with my Master's was $40k (degree was in Sports Management, bachelors was the same though in hindsight I wish I had gotten 1 of my degrees in a different major)

Been out a year, still not employed on a salary job. Looking to get my masters if I don't find one before the new year

Econ major here, 2013 graduate. Just started a manager trainee position making 42k in the retail industry.

I pray I find an entry-level analyst position soon.

I'm content with acute care to be honest. I really do not find it difficult as most people think it is. But I did not like SNF because like you said that max to dependent transfers all day is no joke and I was not going to keep doing that. I did work at an outpatient clinic when I did my clinical rotation and it was too slow for me. I enjoyed it at times but really enjoyed seeing my patients making progress but all that damn paper work
sick.gif

I was at a SNF for my first internship and hated it. Too assembly line for me. I have never been in a ortho clinic where it was slow, it probably has to do with the differences in location. In NYC you are expected to see about 15 patients a day at minimum unless there is cancellations.
15 only? NYC has a high rate or insurance fraud. people overbook everywhere here. the clinics i've seen have about 3-4 patients an hour

Graduated May '13. BS in Economics. Tons of internship experience.

Started as a full-time Investment Analyst at $48K base. Got a raise after 5 months.

15 only? NYC has a high rate or insurance fraud. people overbook everywhere here. the clinics i've seen have about 3-4 patients an hour

15 was the minimum. You are scheduled like 20. I was seeing 3-4, sometimes 5 at a time on my internship. Private insurances dont care how many you see at a time, only medicare does, and the people with medicare get scheduled accordingly. Some places give bonuses if you average a certain amount of case load for a month.

Brooklyn has the highest rate of medicare fraud in the country.

Last edited:
Has anyone worked ticket sales for a NBA team?

Ticket sales, is the bottom of the sports industry. It's how many have worked their way up to where they are now. It doesn't pay well.

Last edited:
I know. What I meant to say was, my mom's opinion was that internships/experience was insignificant and that a strong GPA would compensate.
Yup and thats where people go wrong. They think that having a 4.0 GPA will land them their dream job, which is not the case at all. I know a handful of people that are going through this now. I've always stressed the importance of internships/co-ops , because without them the job/internship hunt is much harder. Just because you have a 4.0 doesn't mean that you can perform well in the workplace. Companies would much rather have the candidate with 2+ internships and a 3.0+ GPA, than someone with a 3.6+ GPA and no experience.

Last edited:
The offer I took was for $51k back in '06. I think I did ~$65 that first year, after signing bonus and profit share bonus. Was very very fortunate to graduate before the financial crisis hit. 

Back
Top Bottom