What You Cuttin With NT? Vol. I Need A Knife Set

Looking for a good block set with steak knives, pairing knives, an all purpose kitchen knife ect. Any good brands to look for? Trying not to spend TOO much on a set since I've already dropped more than I wanted to on my new crib.

Any help would be
pimp.gif

Don't buy a set.

Get a block, big %%* cutting board, sharpener/honing steel, 8/10" chef's knife + paring knife and your straight. Add in a bread knife and 6" utility knife if you want to have some versatility; more cutlery as your knife skills develop. You could probably put together a nice set of much higher quality with less unnecessary items for about the same price (likely much less) as you would spend on a block.

Victorinox Forschner, Zwilling Henckles, and Wustof make quality entry-level knives ( with Forschner being the best value )
edit: i personally feel that your cooking knives should be completely set aside from your dinner knives, so steak knives obviously would be a different endeavor entirely

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

Don't buy a set.

Get a block, big %%* cutting board, sharpener/honing steel, 8/10" chef's knife + paring knife and your straight. Add in a bread knife and 6" utility knife if you want to have some versatility; more cutlery as your knife skills develop. You could probably put together a nice set of much higher quality with less unnecessary items for about the same price (likely much less) as you would spend on a block.

Victorinox Forschner, Zwilling Henckles, and Wustof make quality entry-level knives ( with Forschner being the best value )
edit: i personally feel that your cooking knives should be completely set aside from your dinner knives, so steak knives obviously would be a different endeavor entirely
This is the best advice i've seen yet and it makes a ton of sense.
Most sets seem to have a ridiculous number of pointless knives within them.

How many different serrated edges or blades do I need? I just need somethings sharp when I need it. 

One big one, one small one. 
laugh.gif

All those knives wont make people better chefs either. 
eyes.gif

I only use serrated knives for cutting bread.....or anything that has a soft center but a firm outer layer

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I have these:

http://www.cutleryandmore...-knife-block-set-p115696

best advice I could give you would be to go into a store and hold them.. see how it fits in your hand.

I was almost all set on getting a different set until I held onto these. So comfortable in my hand and how I grip the knife.
Cosign these knives. My first chef's knife was a Henckels Twin, and I've only had to sharpen it twice. I've had the knife for three years 
pimp.gif
 Great balance as well.
Originally Posted by iYen

What are some good sushi cutting knifes?

Any sharp chef's knife will work well for sushi, it all depends on your personal preference. Usually, people like to go with santoku blades for the reduced friction (sushi sticking to the knife), but it also depends on how comfortable you are with a blade that isn't rocked.  Tojiro makes some pretty sweet japanese cutlery, you should check them out. You can get a traditional chef's knife with a hollow edge as well, which will reduce friction in the same way.

Don't buy a set.

Good advice.
I recently got a Henckels chef's knife and paring knife for Christmas and they're fantastic. I have a basic set of knives but I haven't needed to use any of them, other than a bread knife occasionally.

as stated you don't need a set.  cop a chef knife, paring knife, bread knife and a boning knife and you're straight.  my chefs knife is a mac.  here's a link. don't get cutco, cop german or japanese only.

Amazon product ASIN B000N5H2XU
i'm going to cop a carbon steel knife soon i think.  probably this one.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kielcagy21.html

can't go wrong with mac though. alot of chefs i work with swear by them.  they are sharp as hell and not that much money.  don't cop a set.  take the money you'll save and get a big cutting board and an allclad mc2 pan or something.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I have these:

http://www.cutleryandmore...-knife-block-set-p115696

best advice I could give you would be to go into a store and hold them.. see how it fits in your hand.

I was almost all set on getting a different set until I held onto these. So comfortable in my hand and how I grip the knife.
Cosign these knives. My first chef's knife was a Henckels Twin, and I've only had to sharpen it twice. I've had the knife for three years 
pimp.gif
 Great balance as well.
Originally Posted by iYen

What are some good sushi cutting knifes?

Any sharp chef's knife will work well for sushi, it all depends on your personal preference. Usually, people like to go with santoku blades for the reduced friction (sushi sticking to the knife), but it also depends on how comfortable you are with a blade that isn't rocked.  Tojiro makes some pretty sweet japanese cutlery, you should check them out. You can get a traditional chef's knife with a hollow edge as well, which will reduce friction in the same way.
Thanks for the advice/recommendation bro.

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

as stated you don't need a set.  cop a chef knife, paring knife, bread knife and a boning knife and you're straight.  my chefs knife is a mac.  here's a link. don't get cutco, cop german or japanese only.

So true...so many gimmicks out there. Most people fail to realize if you just take the time to learn how to sharpen your knives you only need a few and a serrated. I really only use 2 at work, rarely use a paring and boning, just the chef knife and the serrated...that honing steel puts in work though

that's not really a bad deal but they are bottom of the barrel wusthof. i'd rather cop a little higher end knives that i'll actually use. i mean who uses a birds beak paring knife at the crib? no one is sitting around carving fruit at the pad.
laugh.gif
same with that carving knife, you could use the bread knife or chef's knife for that. utility knife? pass... i'm just saying he's not going to use even half those knives.

Back
Top Bottom