What's in a name?

I got a question for NT...I always thought of this board as having a dynamic range of users, from all over the planet with different backgrounds, from different scenes, in different points of their lives. But we all seem to have certain characteristics that help us all get along.

Anyways.. has anyone here ever legally changed their name? (more specifically, their last name). Not on some Metta World Peace *!+*, but like John Doe to John Jones.

The reason being....I've always believe that as part of the human existence..there's a life we're birthed into, and then the life we create. Very esoteric/hippy stuff I know. My relationship with my father, who's last name I inherited..well let's just say I've never been proud. Changing my name has always been interesting to me, and the idea of creating your own identity per say is intriguing.

So any of you guys know anyone who has changed their last names? Other than marriage reasons, something more personal.

i too would like to hear some stories 
nerd.gif

in for stories.

very intriguing topic.

i had a rocky relationship with my pops growing up, but now that i am an old man myself, the relationship is a lot better. i am proud of being able to carry on the family name and passin it down to my own kids when the time comes.

No but since I'm the 4th. My father was named after his and his after his and I'm named after my father. I plan to do the same to my son

Your name is your history and your identity. Its the first true mark given to you by your parents. If you feel your ties to it are that weak then change.

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

No but since I'm the 4th. My father was named after his and his after his and I'm named after my father. I plan to do the same to my son

Your name is your history and your identity. Its the first true mark given to you by your parents. If you feel your ties to it are that weak then change.

Not related, but my name is very...

Caucasian ... people are surprised when I say my real name ...

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ricky409

Not related, but my is very...

ohwell.gif

man u have no ++#*** idea...last time i picked up a pizza from pizzahut the lady said "oh yea i remember u cause u the real dark skinned guy wit the white boy name"

pimp.gif
Dope topic.

Are you high?

I don't know anyone personally who has changed their name though.

Originally Posted by GRideBounca11

My relationship with my father, who's last name I inherited..well let's just say I've never been proud. Changing my name has always been interesting to me, and the idea of creating your own identity per say is intriguing.

So any of you guys know anyone who has changed their last names? Other than marriage reasons, something more personal.

I didn't have a good relationship growing up and now don't have a relationship with either of my parents. I've thought about changing my last name to set myself apart from my family but haven't done it because it's a lot of work and then you have to explain why.

To give myself a little piece of mind I use a pseudonym when getting credit for various things I work on. I'm a programmer and any credit rolls for software or games I've developed list me under the pseudonym.

Not related, but my name is very...

ohwell.gif
Similar situation here. I've been told my name on paper sounds
pimp.gif
. The man in person once you get to know him is even more
pimp.gif

Serious tho, I thought this thread was about the meaning of people's names and not what it means to them. Eh, either way the first definition I thought about was the meaning Ricky should be the one who in on a neverending quest for yambs.

Oh yeah, thanks for the genuine cool story bro from yesterday. Shorty had mass too 
devil.gif

laugh.gif
 @ Ruxxx's response

Its something that I may very well have to do in the future. Not for personal reasons but because of a need. I have a twin and our names are very similar. I'm talking our first names are one letter different and our intital breakdown is the exact same. These arent our real names but imagine two people name Aubrey and Audrey and the initial breakdown is ALJ and ALJ. If any of you have twins, do not make this mistake trust me.
Its caused a ton of problems for the both of us in terms of living. He actually got denied from a college simply because they thought it was me trying to apply twice with fake info. Sometimes people just dont through checking everything and having different socials isnt enough. I'm looking into at the very least switching my middle and first names around to see if that will solve the issue. I wouldnt want to get rid of the name I was given though but I can see why you and others would.

Originally Posted by Antidope

Its something that I may very well have to do in the future. Not for personal reasons but because of a need. I have a twin and our names are very similar. I'm talking our first names are one letter different and our intital breakdown is the exact same. These arent our real names but imagine two people name Aubrey and Audrey and the initial breakdown is ALJ and ALJ. If any of you have twins, do not make this mistake trust me.
Its caused a ton of problems for the both of us in terms of living. He actually got denied from a college simply because they thought it was me trying to apply twice with fake info. Sometimes people just dont through checking everything and having different socials isnt enough. I'm looking into at the very least switching my middle and first names around to see if that will solve the issue. I wouldnt want to get rid of the name I was given though but I can see why you and others would.

Yikes. What were your parents thinking. From what you described, that's crazy. Wow.

Originally Posted by eashawty

ohwell.gif

man u have no ++#*** idea...last time i picked up a pizza from pizzahut the lady said "oh yea i remember u cause u the real dark skinned guy wit the white boy name"
Is your name Cody?

Originally Posted by Luong1209

ohwell.gif

Is your name Cody?

laugh.gif
ive got a black friend named trevor. Whitest name ever

Originally Posted by cs02132

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Is your name Cody?

laugh.gif
ive got a black friend named trevor. Whitest name ever
Trevor isnt THAT white of a name.  There are black people named Trevor, (Trevor Ariza, Trevor Berbick).
Now Cody on the other hand... cant say I've ever seen or heard of a black Cody before.

I changed my last name 3 years ago, at the age of 26...

My last name has always been tied to who my mom was married to... right before I got married I changed it back to my biological last name (mom and dad were never married)

I have had 3 last names in my lifetime...

I was SUPER close to creating a last name and starting from scratch, but the more you try and think of a new last name, the more difficult it gets

HERE IS THE CRAZY PART:

to legally change your last name you need to do a few things... 1) fill out forms that get signed by the governor of your state 2) place a public ad in the newspaper stating the name change

OP - PM me if you need help doing it...

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

My last name has always been tied to who my mom was married to... right before I got married I changed it back to my biological last name (mom and dad were never married)

I was SUPER close to creating a last name and starting from scratch, but the more you try and think of a new last name, the more difficult it gets

HERE IS THE CRAZY PART:

to legally change your last name you need to do a few things... 1) fill out forms that get signed by the governor of your state 2) place a public ad in the newspaper stating the name change

You really have to put an ad in the paper stating the change?
eek.gif
 That's crazy.

ohwell.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Funny as hell, cuz I know this dude.

My name is a "black name" I guess.

Originally Posted by beh235

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

HERE IS THE CRAZY PART:

You really have to put an ad in the paper stating the change?
eek.gif
 That's crazy.

that's what I said!  I am guessing it has something to do with the old 13 colony days...

Aside from all the legal documents..the paperwork... the court house appearances, think beyond that. You can pay a lawyer a stack and he'll handle all that for you. (to a certain extent). I'm saying, how amazing would it be to travel the world, with your own made up identity? Seeing plane tickets made out to your own name that you created. Maybe it's a childhood fantasy of being a undercover secret agent or something that we could only carry out so far in the "real world".

Like "I can't be Spider-man, so i guess I'll settle for ______."

I understand that for some of you guys, family values and tradition are at the forefront of every decision, but I'm all about creating your own life, differing from traditional thinking.

And when I ask people I know about this.. some variation of "What you tryna hide?" comes up as a response. I ain't hiding nothing. It's just another form of expressing myself.

I agree that names are important. That's the whole first impression right there. When you're given a unique name, often times, people will ask you to repeat that, because they didn't understand you the first time. You'll asy it again, but this time you make it clear. Trust me, this builds character. To be affirmative with yourself. Best believe I'm not wasting the opportunity of naming my child by going with a regular ol' John or Jacob (great solid names, just too plain for me). But it won't be Apple or Blanket either.

Anyways I went on a tangent.

I guess If I feel strongly enough about it, I'll go through with it. rayray good looks, stay posted within the next 5 years.

man, thats dumb, just keep your name unless youre going to change it to your mothers name/maiden name other than that dont do it
and come on guys Cody? thats not even close to unheard of for a black guy, dig deeper guys

If you read my name of a piece of paper you would automatically assume I was black (which I am). I like my name.
And I've only met one black Cody in my entire life 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom