When did Concert/Comedy Show Prices Get Out Of Control?

Tix for Lil TJay show in my area are $70 a pop + fees

Tix for Lil Durk are $175 + for preferred seating (all the GA seating is sold out)

Durk got a couple a records I mess with but this seems out of control.

Lil TJay outside of the feature he did about a year ago that blew up on that one song (can't think of the name right now) I don't know very much about him.

I was just looking for something to do to get out the house but this ain't the move.

I want to say around 2012/2013 onwards they started ramping up hard.

I’m guessing the decline of physical album sales made tour money even more of a priority?

But i first noticed Drake, Beyonce, Rihanna (mega stars) were charging OD dollar for shows and it’s kinda trickled down from there.

Pandemic definitely adds another level to that.

Comedy has definitely been in a bubble the last 6-7 years.

Netflix flooded the market with content. Comics building big followings with podcasts and social media etc...

So now you gotta pay Prince playing a stadium money to see some herb crack jokes for an hour.

Last edited:
The only artist i would pay 200-300 for a ticket was prime kanye during graduation/mbdtf tours.

but most rap artist are trash performers and dont utilize the platform. So to pay to see these new bum *** rappers more than a dollar is a waste.

I want to say around 2012/2013 onwards they started ramping up hard.

I’m guessing the decline of physical album sales made tour money even more of a priority?

But i first noticed Drake, Beyonce, Rihanna (mega stars) were charging OD dollar for shows and it’s kinda trickled down from there.

Pandemic definitely adds another level to that.

Comedy has definitely been in a bubble the last 6-7 years.

Netflix flooded the market with content. Comics building big followings with podcasts and social media etc...

So now you gotta pay Prince playing a stadium money to see some herb crack jokes for an hour.

I was thinking about the completely opposite way. I figured there would be such a saturation of artists/comedians looking to get some show money that venues/promotes would have the leverage do negotiate booking lower fees and thus lower the cost of ticket prices.

Back in 2011 I paid $50 to see Wiz, Mac Miller (RIP), Big Krit, Spitta, and Big Sean during the Rolling Papers tour. I really wanted to see Anderson .Paak live a couple years ago but not for no $200...

Last concert I went to was Gary Clark Jr. Paid $80 which I thought was fair.

My wife spent wild money on Lady Gaga tickets ($350+ per ticket). Only silver lining it got her in a raffle and she won airfare and tickets toa Gaga stadium show too. All that **** got canceled though.

The only artist i would pay 200-300 for a ticket was prime kanye during graduation/mbdtf tours.

but most rap artist are trash performers and dont utilize the platform. So to pay to see these new bum *** rappers more than a dollar is a waste.
Best concert I’ve been to was Flatbush zombies/underachievers . They know how to put on a show, so much energy :pimp: fbz specifically
$175 to see little durk :lol:
Nah I’ll wait till Spitta comes in town and pay my lil $20-$30
was gonna say the same thing
I’ve been to a few currensy concerts and I’m pretty sure I’ve paid $30-40 each time
Got my am1 signed by him too. We both had on bape camo jackets and he gave me that Obama meme “not bad” face when i handed him my shoe
Nice little moment :lol:

4B91935A-7295-4FEC-8B2B-9D93B785575D.png

Last edited:
If an artist is on tour I will try to catch them at MetLife versus MSG. Floor seats at MetLife are dirt cheap but at MSG they can start at 1k on a big artist.

A lot of concerts are only $30-40 for smaller artists. Big artist concerts cost a lot so I try to catch them during festivals instead.

more than $700 for the two of you?!! was that regular or scalp price?!!!

Resale through Ticketmaster, so more or less a scalp. As soon as the Vegas show tickets for her residency drop they sell out immediately from what my wife tells me. I feel like the normal price was supposed to be $150-200.

She came out on top ultimately, they refunded her and she’ll get to buy regularly priced tickets when they drop for the reschedule. And the raffle was tickets to Wrigley Field show with airfare paid by ticketmaster. That’ll get rescheduled too, but they refunded her the money for those tickets too (I thought it had to be a mistake).

Insane either way, I personally hate going to live shows these days.

Paid $200 a ticket for the Run The Jewels & Rage Against The Machine. Concert been pushed back twice.

Now won’t see them until 2022.

I’ll pay $750 for Sade. $250 for Buju Banton or Damian Marley.

I was thinking about the completely opposite way. I figured there would be such a saturation of artists/comedians looking to get some show money that venues/promotes would have the leverage do negotiate booking lower fees and thus lower the cost of ticket prices.

Good point.

They might well be negotiating lower fees but that probably just equates to bigger margins for the artist/production.

sports games count here? my last NFL game was in 2014 and I was delighted to find a pretty decent seat on the 40 for under $150.

I can only imagine what fools are paying these days to sit and suffocate in the sun while sneaking bites of hot dog under mask.

US live entertainment scene is pretty broken.

A lot of concerts are only $30-40 for smaller artists. Big artist concerts cost a lot so I try to catch them during festivals instead.

I’ve never paid more than $32 for a concert. The largest concerts I’ve ever been to were at Central Park and Prospect Park and those were free. I prefer small to mid size venues. Never really liked festivals even though I live near the Meadows Festival in Queens. I just don’t like the idea of paying so much for a show and having to choose between stages if I want a good view.

I wouldn't pay more than $50 to see most artists, honestly. Especially considering that the higher ticket cost usually means a bigger name artist, which means a bigger venue and less intimacy.

Always hated shows in big arenas.

Everything is up in price nowadays.

The fact that you can FINANCE a pair of sneakers is all you need to know

it's half that, half "people are down in money nowadays"...I remember when I went to buy a shirt online and it offered me the option to pay in 4 installments of $11.13 or some ****.

the fact that tech has advanced and wages have stagnated into digital layaway is wild.

Back
Top Bottom