When is the right time to switch careers/go back to school?

Wanted to get some input from you guys.

I just graduated in May, started working this month (good salary + benefits). I'm not sure if it's just the transition of college --> work, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the 9-5 lifestyle. I understand that I'm blessed to have a job, especially in this economy, but I'm finding it hard to see my job as anything more than just a paycheck. Btw, I'm 22 years old

So my question is, what are the key things to think about when making a decision on whether to switch careers, go to graduate school, etc. Anybody with similar/previous experiences, please feel free to share. I know they say the best time to look for a job is when you already have one, so I'm not feeling any type of time pressure. I just want to make sure I look ahead because I can't see myself working at my current job for more than a year, tops.

P.S. I'm not contemplating leaving my job right away, I'm just looking ahead. I would only leave my job if there was something solid to replace it (another job or grad school).

I just graduated in May, started working this month (good salary + benefits). I'm not sure if it's just the transition of college --> work, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the 9-5 lifestyle. I understand that I'm blessed to have a job, especially in this economy, but I'm finding it hard to see my job as anything more than just a paycheck. Btw, I'm 22 years old

So my question is, what are the key things to think about when making a decision on whether to switch careers, go to graduate school, etc. Anybody with similar/previous experiences, please feel free to share. I know they say the best time to look for a job is when you already have one, so I'm not feeling any type of time pressure. I just want to make sure I look ahead because I can't see myself working at my current job for more than a year, tops.

P.S. I'm not contemplating leaving my job right away, I'm just looking ahead. I would only leave my job if there was something solid to replace it (another job or grad school).

As far as grad school goes, most people go within the first two years upon completion of undergrad. A number of people I knew in school are headed right into grad school in a few weeks while others like myself are going to work, accumulate funds and then go back to school. It isn't cheap at all. The financial aid at the grad level isn't as generous as it was on the undergrad level.

Honestly, it depends on what you want to go back for though. I've heard from people getting their MBAs and the financial sector, that a MBA is useless without any real world experience. The average age of the 1st year law student is 27. Med school is immediate because you'll be damn near 30 by the end of your residency.

As far as careers go, I can't help there but if you have a good salary and benefits in the economy's current state, you're better off putting up with that job rather than quitting after a year and looking for one like everyone else.

As far as grad school goes, most people go within the first two years upon completion of undergrad. A number of people I knew in school are headed right into grad school in a few weeks while others like myself are going to work, accumulate funds and then go back to school. It isn't cheap at all. The financial aid at the grad level isn't as generous as it was on the undergrad level.

Honestly, it depends on what you want to go back for though. I've heard from people getting their MBAs and the financial sector, that a MBA is useless without any real world experience. The average age of the 1st year law student is 27. Med school is immediate because you'll be damn near 30 by the end of your residency.

As far as careers go, I can't help there but if you have a good salary and benefits in the economy's current state, you're better off putting up with that job rather than quitting after a year and looking for one like everyone else.

What degree did you graduate with and what job are you working at now? It's still very early, you've only been working for a couple of months. Maybe you just need more time to get used to the routine to where it becomes natural. I'm about to be a senior this year...if I can land a job fast like you did then I'll be pretty happy, even if it sucks. Entry-level FTL but ya gotta start somewhere
ohwell.gif

What degree did you graduate with and what job are you working at now? It's still very early, you've only been working for a couple of months. Maybe you just need more time to get used to the routine to where it becomes natural. I'm about to be a senior this year...if I can land a job fast like you did then I'll be pretty happy, even if it sucks. Entry-level FTL but ya gotta start somewhere
ohwell.gif

I graduated Dec. '09, and I would say a good time frame to go back is within a year or two. After two years, I think its harder to put yourself back in that school mode you know? The longer you wait, the higher chance you'll feel like ehh I'm not feeling school. I would suggest take a small break from school, enjoy it a bit, and see how you feel afterwards.

I'm currently pursuing graduate school myself. I kinda miss it (school/work). Yeah I know. But anyways, you JUST graduated so I would just continue with that job you have for awhile until you're absolutely sure grad school is for you. Do your research. Graduate school is expensive!

And oh, congrats on the job, btw. They're definitely hard to come across these days.

I graduated Dec. '09, and I would say a good time frame to go back is within a year or two. After two years, I think its harder to put yourself back in that school mode you know? The longer you wait, the higher chance you'll feel like ehh I'm not feeling school. I would suggest take a small break from school, enjoy it a bit, and see how you feel afterwards.

I'm currently pursuing graduate school myself. I kinda miss it (school/work). Yeah I know. But anyways, you JUST graduated so I would just continue with that job you have for awhile until you're absolutely sure grad school is for you. Do your research. Graduate school is expensive!

And oh, congrats on the job, btw. They're definitely hard to come across these days.

I'm wondering the same thing myself, I graduated this June and I got started with an internship last month, just trying to find a full-time gig in the meantime. Ideally, I'd like to go to grad school in 2-3 years after getting some work experience, but things can change. I don't even know what I'd wanna do for grad school yet.

I'm wondering the same thing myself, I graduated this June and I got started with an internship last month, just trying to find a full-time gig in the meantime. Ideally, I'd like to go to grad school in 2-3 years after getting some work experience, but things can change. I don't even know what I'd wanna do for grad school yet.

I would say, the right time would be when you've tried and put your all into your first choice, things didnt work out, and you have the time and resources to make a change now.

That is the case with me right now.

I would say, the right time would be when you've tried and put your all into your first choice, things didnt work out, and you have the time and resources to make a change now.

That is the case with me right now.

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

whoop there it is...

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

whoop there it is...

Back
Top Bottom