When Magic and Jordan locked horns at the 92 Olympics **MUST READ**

Did a search and didnt find anything. But man what a great read. It's a damn shame there is no footage of this.

http://lakers.topbuzz.com/a-499.html
Today, when players are asked who the best player ever is, the politic, self effacing answer is Michael Jordan. But do they really feel that way in their hearts? I doubt it. After all, men like Mikan, Russell, Oscar, Wilt, Baylor, Magic, Kareem, Kobe, Bird and others played the game at the highest level imaginable. They could do things on the court as they wanted, when they wanted. Why would they really feel any player was as good as themselves, let alone better?

What do they really think when they are alone, out of camera and microphone range? When they can express their true feelings?

That scenario played out in a most interesting fashion back in 1992 during the Dream Team assault on the Olympics. And it involved two of the greatest players in NBA history-Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson.

Let me set the milieu for you so we can understand the context of this confrontation and what brought it about:

At the time of 92 Olympics, the NBA hierarchy was in a state of change. The Magic-Bird era had just ended, the Jordan ascendancy was blossoming. Magic had retired two years ago, involuntarily, because of the HIV virus. He had lost his last finals to Jordan in 90. Being the competitor that he was, no doubt Magic felt that if he could have continued to play, Jerry West would have made a few tweaks the Lakers and he (Magic) would have led them back to the mountaintop, winning more championships and taking his accustomed individual place at the top of NBA totem pole. In fact, Magic still had visions of this; he intended to come back to basketball after the Olympics, a revanchist strategy that would be spiked in no small part due to Dream Team teammate Karl Malone and Phoenix Sun GM Jerry CoAngelo. So at this point, Magic, who though no longer close to the player he was in his prime, still had very formidable skills, was a prideful and disillusioned man, feeling his career had not been fulfilled and ended as it should. He felt circumstance had given Jordan what should still be his. Neither Magic nor anyone else at this time knew just how great Jordan and his bulls would become. At the time of these Olympics, Magic had to feel he was the King in forced exile from his realm.

Jordan on the other had was rising the sun. He felt that Magic and Bird were the setting sun. He had played long and hard to get where he was and wanted recognition for his accomplishments. The Dream team was seen as a final exposition and good bye tour for the two seminal greats of the NBA: Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Jordan understood this and did not begrudge the two fading legends as they received the lion’s share of the pre Olympic publicity. But in private, he wanted it understood in no uncertain terms that he was now the king of the league.

These dynamics came into play in a very intense and interesting series of events that took place during the 92 games.

One night, during a long conversation, the elephant in the room came alive. The participants where Magic, Jordan, Bird, Barkley, Ewing and erstwhile NFL pro bowl wide receiver Ahmad Rashad.
Bird posed a simple question: Which NBA team was the greatest ever?
Ewing said Russell’s Celtics with their 11 rings. Rashad countered by saying Bird’s 86 team had the greatest front line ever. Barkley agreed saying that that line was “Brutal.

Did a search and didnt find anything. But man what a great read. It's a damn shame there is no footage of this.

http://lakers.topbuzz.com/a-499.html
Today, when players are asked who the best player ever is, the politic, self effacing answer is Michael Jordan. But do they really feel that way in their hearts? I doubt it. After all, men like Mikan, Russell, Oscar, Wilt, Baylor, Magic, Kareem, Kobe, Bird and others played the game at the highest level imaginable. They could do things on the court as they wanted, when they wanted. Why would they really feel any player was as good as themselves, let alone better?

What do they really think when they are alone, out of camera and microphone range? When they can express their true feelings?

That scenario played out in a most interesting fashion back in 1992 during the Dream Team assault on the Olympics. And it involved two of the greatest players in NBA history-Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson.

Let me set the milieu for you so we can understand the context of this confrontation and what brought it about:

At the time of 92 Olympics, the NBA hierarchy was in a state of change. The Magic-Bird era had just ended, the Jordan ascendancy was blossoming. Magic had retired two years ago, involuntarily, because of the HIV virus. He had lost his last finals to Jordan in 90. Being the competitor that he was, no doubt Magic felt that if he could have continued to play, Jerry West would have made a few tweaks the Lakers and he (Magic) would have led them back to the mountaintop, winning more championships and taking his accustomed individual place at the top of NBA totem pole. In fact, Magic still had visions of this; he intended to come back to basketball after the Olympics, a revanchist strategy that would be spiked in no small part due to Dream Team teammate Karl Malone and Phoenix Sun GM Jerry CoAngelo. So at this point, Magic, who though no longer close to the player he was in his prime, still had very formidable skills, was a prideful and disillusioned man, feeling his career had not been fulfilled and ended as it should. He felt circumstance had given Jordan what should still be his. Neither Magic nor anyone else at this time knew just how great Jordan and his bulls would become. At the time of these Olympics, Magic had to feel he was the King in forced exile from his realm.

Jordan on the other had was rising the sun. He felt that Magic and Bird were the setting sun. He had played long and hard to get where he was and wanted recognition for his accomplishments. The Dream team was seen as a final exposition and good bye tour for the two seminal greats of the NBA: Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Jordan understood this and did not begrudge the two fading legends as they received the lion’s share of the pre Olympic publicity. But in private, he wanted it understood in no uncertain terms that he was now the king of the league.

These dynamics came into play in a very intense and interesting series of events that took place during the 92 games.

One night, during a long conversation, the elephant in the room came alive. The participants where Magic, Jordan, Bird, Barkley, Ewing and erstwhile NFL pro bowl wide receiver Ahmad Rashad.
Bird posed a simple question: Which NBA team was the greatest ever?
Ewing said Russell’s Celtics with their 11 rings. Rashad countered by saying Bird’s 86 team had the greatest front line ever. Barkley agreed saying that that line was “Brutal.

My man Mike
pimp.gif

Magic didn't want it
laugh.gif

Not sure about the legitimacy of this story, but I have to say, I wouldn't be surprised if this line was true:
Barkley was about to speak when Bird piped up, “Quiet!! You haven’t won a thing. You have no say in this. Same with Patrick and Ahmad. Your all gone! You guys have no championships so just sit there and be quiet and maybe you will learn some things.

Not sure about the legitimacy of this story, but I have to say, I wouldn't be surprised if this line was true:
Barkley was about to speak when Bird piped up, “Quiet!! You haven’t won a thing. You have no say in this. Same with Patrick and Ahmad. Your all gone! You guys have no championships so just sit there and be quiet and maybe you will learn some things.

David Halberstam writes about one of those legendary scrimmages in his book Playing for Keeps. He also does it about a million times better than whoever wrote that bedtime story.

David Halberstam writes about one of those legendary scrimmages in his book Playing for Keeps. He also does it about a million times better than whoever wrote that bedtime story.

I don't believe this
laugh.gif

Cool if it would've happened but it aint like Magic was in his prime in this scrimmage and Jordan is flat out better anyway.

I don't believe this
laugh.gif

Cool if it would've happened but it aint like Magic was in his prime in this scrimmage and Jordan is flat out better anyway.

Article sound like it was made up. However i believe in trash talk during scrimmage. Jordan was probably super dirty and throwing shots left and right

Originally Posted by Master Zik

I don't believe this
laugh.gif

I haven't seen magic play live, but i can say for a fact that Jordan is not "flat out better." He's better, but not by that much

Article sound like it was made up. However i believe in trash talk during scrimmage. Jordan was probably super dirty and throwing shots left and right

Originally Posted by Master Zik

I don't believe this
laugh.gif

I haven't seen magic play live, but i can say for a fact that Jordan is not "flat out better." He's better, but not by that much

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Took the exact words out of my mouth.

You can tell whoever wrote this is an amateur. Right off the bat I knew this version wasn't gonna be as good.

He had lost his last finals to Jordan in 90.
Come on now. At least get the goddamn years right.

For people saying it's fake, it's not, it's just poorly written. You guys need to pick up a copy of this:

2sab588.jpg

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Took the exact words out of my mouth.

You can tell whoever wrote this is an amateur. Right off the bat I knew this version wasn't gonna be as good.

He had lost his last finals to Jordan in 90.
Come on now. At least get the goddamn years right.

For people saying it's fake, it's not, it's just poorly written. You guys need to pick up a copy of this:

2sab588.jpg

Back
Top Bottom