When will hip hop/rap return back to its thuggish/hood/hardcore gangsta street violent aggressive ro

Man that raw **** still out there. You just gotta find it. Turn off the radio.

Also check out Vado, if you haven't already.

not that i'm one to tell another what to do, but if you grew up in the 80's/90's, it may be time to broaden your horizons. maybe it's time you close the door on rap and realize that your version of it is a thing of the past.

i grew up with all those dudes you're talkin about...pac, cube, n.w.a., wu tang, etc.... i just realized (about 8-9 years ago) that that era is over. i can either live with it and move on or i can sit there and reminisce and try to call out a bunch of ppl that have no interest in it whatsoever. our time for music is over.

what is it that they say? 'every generation thinks that they invented good music and sex'

I think we need more conscious rap than anything. Not that I'm this super political dude or anything.
I just prefer my hip hop to actually have meaning. Like I'm a huge Mos Def fan.

gangsta rap is long gone, i agree with conscious music tho we need more positive music with story telling about life struggles because as of right now this world is a mess. there is too much music about material things and stuff that we don't need to hear.

Conscious rap >>>>>>>>>>

I don't wanna see a bunch of dusty ****** on stage not saying ****...I'm starting to feel like Steve Harvey on Original Kings of Comedy.

Now if you're addressing societal issues a la NWA then that's cool...P.E. fine...Dead Prez I'm all for it.

Because they were conscious at the same time rebellious...but to be thuggish with no agenda is pointless.

Dudes talking about killing their own but they don't want to kill the root cause of injustice.

How ignorant is that?

i agree with op for the most part....

i think the emasculation of hip hop has been evident the past decade really...

it aint always gotta be shoot em up/i sell crack and pipe broads....but when did it become leapard print everywhere, tiny jean wearing, furr ugg boot rocking? like why is that the in thing??

honestly, if this was the year 2000... half of todays artist (including kanye,c4 wayne) would be laughed out of hip hop and nobody would take them serious...

i mean we got openly gay artists, rappers with  two toned hair, and it seems like people are forced into accepting it...like nobody wants to point and say 'that aint right, that aint how it should be'..mad suspect ish, def isnt what i was raised on...

to each his own tho...i notice i like fewer new artists as the years go on...just stick to what i kno

man goon rap is still out there. just download anything from these new chicago dudes and that should hold you down for ignorance

I like gangsta rap just as much as the next person...but you get tired of it after awhile.

still there, theres just new types of rap/hiphop comin out, u dont gotta like it calm your fool self down PAPI

OP, artists like Meek Mill, Jay Rock, Tech N9ne, Chief Keef, Lil' Mouse, & 2 Chainz are relevant and are street/gangsta. Listen to them.
laugh.gif

**** ignorant music. Honestly , no one is living that lifestyle anymore. I want to listen some "real" not some fake *** ****** music.

i agree with op for the most part....

i think the emasculation of hip hop has been evident the past decade really...

it aint always gotta be shoot em up/i sell crack and pipe broads....but when did it become leapard print everywhere, tiny jean wearing, furr ugg boot rocking? like why is that the in thing??

honestly, if this was the year 2000... half of todays artist (including kanye,c4 wayne) would be laughed out of hip hop and nobody would take them serious...

i mean we got openly gay artists, rappers with  two toned hair, and it seems like people are forced into accepting it...like nobody wants to point and say 'that aint right, that aint how it should be'..mad suspect ish, def isnt what i was raised on...

to each his own tho...i notice i like fewer new artists as the years go on...just stick to what i kno

Word.

Can't rock with alot of new artists.

Only "new" cats I listen to regularly are Cole, Krit and Wale (when he ain't talkin some simp ****).

All this other stuff ain't for me. Not that I need to blast ignorant music 24/7, but way too much of this new stuff reeks of suspectness.

On a whole different subject though, lets talk about how R&B has gone to s**t. Everybody has gone to some techno-pop stuff (Usher, Chris Brown) or trying to half rap-half piss poor sing (Trey Songz). And the most popular R&B artist of today is singing about men :smh:

Take me back to the early 2000's already.

VA757 said it best regarding the emasculation of the genre and what's being pushed to the mainstream.

The genre has been neutered and while it may show that ferocity every once in a while, it doesn't have that spark anymore.

A lot of the new **** out sucks whether it be the new trap rappers like Keef to the stoner rapper like Wiz.

Don't get me started on the ******** known as Frat Rap :x

And the most popular R&B artist of today is singing about men mean.gif

rap itself is becoming ASSSSS......they recycle each otherz barz <-----when the **** was that ever cool? just to let a ***** use 3 of ya barz on his new song, off of ya new song

rap is losing direction, itz not about being the best no more itz about who got the most money.....all these labelz wit no competition.....6 ****** on a song and they all say they the best and none of em care waat the people think......thatz where the anger went in rap, thatz where ****** lost the drive and hunger! ****** jus give the title to hov big and pac, they dont care bout bein legendzd no more.....they jus want money #wackassrapperz

ayooo now that im listening to this track you might be on to something jhawk..I never thought about it like that

I miss the days where it was rare to have 2-3 big name cats on tracks & they would a proper video for the song

Last edited:
laugh.gif
What are you dudes talking about? There are 2 cliques running rap right now.

MMG is one of them, and their music is the epitome of what you people are asking for . . . sans Omarion
laugh.gif

GOOD is the other . . . How are you not feeling Common, Ye, or Push . . . all rap legends. Big Sean and CyHi are nice at times too . . . GOOD gotta nice mix of drug rap (Pusha), conscious (Common, Ye at times), and cocky rap (Big Sean).

What more do y'all want?

Last edited:
I honestly thought OP was trolling throughout his entire post. Then I read his second post and realized he was dead serious. :stoneface:

You're what's wrong with hip-hop fans today. You're holding back progress. You're stuck in the mud, stuck in the past. Nobody's forcing you to listen to a certain artist. There are more options than ever, actually.

IT'S OKAY TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. You can be successful in rap without making up fake gangsta stories. You can be yourself. How many fools in the gangsta rap era were exaggerating? Nearly 100%.

You'd rather encourage fakes and liars like Rick Ross? There are still jokes like him out there. Go ahead and spin Chief Keef.

And leave all this anti-gay stuff behind. It's 2012, fam. They're not going away any time soon, and as far as we know, none of the dudes you mentioned as "suspect" are actually gay. You hate Lil B, that's fine, you don't have to listen to anybody. But he's different and pushing the envelope. He broke a rap law by naming his album "I'm Gay". There aren't rules to this game anymore, and that's what's going to keep it alive, believe it or not.

This is the most disturbing part of your post...

when i was growing up listening to 80-90's rappers.....I wanted to be like them....i thought they were cool....i related to them..dress like them...act like them....pac, kool g rap, ice cube, eazy e...

You're right... kids in Chicago should look up to Chief Keef and the rest of his crowd. Sell drugs, get face tats and if someone disagrees with you, shoot 'em. ****

:rolleyes these conservative rap fans acting like Republicans... DON'T EVER CHANGE. THIS ISN'T HOW IT USED TO BE. Rap is like 35 years old at the most, it's going to change.

Btw go ahead and name all of these openly gay artists... don't worry, I'll wait.

Me personally I ****** with Gangsta rap back in the day & I still do to be real tho the thing with Rap today is to many cats FAKIN THE FUNK & nobody checking them for it..IT's like back in the days you were held accountable for you lyrics that's why they never named dropped back in the day cause you could get smoked saying the wrong name on wax....These days rap has turned the streets soft when you got ROSS name dropping & not being checked for it you know something is wrong with the streets...Back in the day rappers wanted to be like the hustlers & dope dealers now seems like the dope dealers wanna be rappers doing crimes posting them on worldstar, beefing with cats on social networks etc...The only way to bring back the real hard gangsta aspect of the game dudes gon have to start getting check Like ROSS, WAYNE, all these clowns thats perpetuating the real..

Back
Top Bottom