Which is the Best Version of Kanye West so far?

This cat

...I was 17 years old when I first heard of Kanye. I remember jamming that Kanye West Roc mixtape, when he ripped over that "Love You Better" joint.After I heard "Through the wire" and found out he was responsible for "Guess Who's back" I knew dude was something special...this wasearly 03. I'm 23 now, and I still remember how great I thought dude whole persona was back then. I arrived at college hyping dude up, and people looked atme like I was crazy. Next semester, College Dropout drops, and all I hear is Kanye. Truth be told. I still think dude is a musical genius, but he's notblazing the trail as he once did. He's becoming more so a product of the environment.... Although still very distinguish.

Kanye 03-05 > Kanye today.

Originally Posted by toast1985

This cat

...I was 17 years old when I first heard of Kanye. I remember jamming that Kanye West Roc mixtape, when he ripped over that "Love You Better" joint. After I heard "Through the wire" and found out he was responsible for "Guess Who's back" I knew dude was something special...this was early 03. I'm 23 now, and I still remember how great I thought dude whole persona was back then. I arrived at college hyping dude up, and people looked at me like I was crazy. Next semester, College Dropout drops, and all I hear is Kanye. Truth be told. I still think dude is a musical genius, but he's not blazing the trail as he once did. He's becoming more so a product of the environment.... Although still very distinguish.

Kanye 03-05 > Kanye today.

�How do you figure dude isn't still blazing the trail? Graduation = Stadium music. He may not be as raaaw as his TCD days, but dude is still beingoriginal. People calling the GITD the best tour of any music genre in years. That says alot to what Kanye has accomplished and what he is becoming.� Dude hasgotten beyond being just your average rapper. He's becoming a predominant figure in pop culture in general. Can't hate on that. I still love LR 'Yelike craaaazy though.

I'm not going back and forth on whether I think did is a pioneer or not, because his influence on our culture in general is tremendous. Today I seen somekid wearing those silly glasses in the mall, I laughed so damn hard. But watching dude develop throughout the years, I can definitely say his music doesn'tstrike me as it did in years past. The fact that dude has separated himself from the pack doesn't necessarily mean his crushing his own potential.

Late_registration_cd_cover.jpg

FTW!

I'll take the music from Late Registration. But the humbleness soulful/backpack attitude from College Dropout. The whole egotistic big head attitude he hasnow has gotten old and not really funny anymore.

Originally Posted by toast1985

I'm not going back and forth on whether I think did is a pioneer or not, because his influence on our culture in general is tremendous. Today I seen some kid wearing those silly glasses in the mall, I laughed so damn hard. But watching dude develop throughout the years, I can definitely say his music doesn't strike me as it did in years past. The fact that dude has separated himself from the pack doesn't necessarily mean his crushing his own potential.

Word. This is the part that has me the most
eyes.gif
about Kanye'scontinued success.

It has now become the 'in' thing to be a fan of Kanye's now. It amazes me how when I was bumping TCD back in the day, dudes were giving me the
indifferent.gif
left and right. Even when LR dropped, people were like'ahh...he'll never catch on...a bear as his symbol??
laugh.gif
'

Now with Graduation dropping, you have those same dudes rocking the shutter shades and looking to cop the LV Millionaires.

Well this is the case with almost anything that sees success....but ah...screw it.

But good post though man...I feel you on everything you're saying.

I remember when Late Registration came out, so many of my friends (mainly dudes) thought that it was a wack album. I felt as though outside of the internet, Iwas the only person feeling it. I felt like that album was just amazing. I felt the same way with The College Dropout also. The first time I heard "FamilyBusiness" I thought it was the dopest song out. To me, Kanye has been someone that has changed throughout every album-making process he's beeninvolved in. In terms of style of dress, I think I would take the TCD Kanye because he was like an ordinary dude but with more fashion sense. The 'Lo Kanyewill always be classic to me. I dunno though, as long as he keeps getting better with the music I could care less what he looks like although I do think thiswhole "hipster" trend is getting to be a bit much.

to me, his music is all about progression...

so if i have to pick a best kanye.. i'll pick NEXT kanye

all day.

kanye this:

[color= rgb(0, 153, 204)]I say !@#$ the police, thats how I treat em[/color]
[color= rgb(0, 153, 204)]We buy our way out of jail, but we can't buy freedom[/color]
[color= rgb(0, 153, 204)]We'll buy a lot of clothes when we don't really need em[/color]
[color= rgb(0, 153, 204)]Things we buy to cover up what's inside[/color]
Cause they make us hate ourself and love they wealth
That's why shorty's hollering "where the ballas' at?"
Drug dealer buy Jordans, crackhead buy crack
And a white man get paid off of all of that
But I ain't even gon' act holier than thou
Cause !@#$ it, I went to Jacob with 25 thou
Before I had a house and I'd do it again
Cause I wanna be on 106 and Park pushing a Benz
I wanna act ballerific like it's all terrific
I got a couple past due bills, I won't get specific
I got a problem with spending before I get it
We all self conscious I'm just the first to admit it!

It's on I'm packin weight like nina simone
Piano flow
It's like a Michaelangelo painted a portrait of Maya Angelou
And gave it to a sick poet for they antidote
If music gets you choked up this is the tree and the rope
This is Chi, **$@$, I mista all of that
!@#$ a map, let's put this @#%%! on the almanac
Dice what they hittin' for, 'lacs what you sittin' on
Tracks who you spittin on, rap till we get it on
And don't let nobody with the power to sign
Ever tell you you ain't got the power to rhyme
They used to tell me toughen up
Put some bass in your voice
They used to tell me lighten up
Put some Mase in your voice
Lord willin' I ain't killed nobody
But I have a feelin' this album
That I'm gonna make a killin'
Or not a shillin'
This is love it or hate it music
But, at least we made it music
And we didn't make it industry
(can he say that now?
smh.gif
)
This is gon' be interesting
This'll be the end of me or I'm finna be an entity
Kanye, Jay-Z, Mos Def, and Kweli
We are not makin' songs no more
We're makin' history

> whatever other kanye out there exists or will ever exist

smh.gif
tired.gif

but i guess that comes in territory when it comes to progression of an artist. you can't expect to have a bigger fanbase and a stronger more solidlongevity if you stay the same and i'ma have to commend him on that standpoint. he's evolved into a worldwide phenomenon. he's livin his dreamright now. but still, college dropout kanye literally sh__s on all other kanyes in terms of providing music the soul that it should...he understood thatbefore...i don't know if we'll ever get that 'ye back though. don't get me wrong, i'm still a fan.but i enjoy cd kanye more than anything he's become...

people don't realize the financial strategy involved with this dudes progression.

Why is the Glow In The Dark Tour the greatest tour in recent years? Mainly because of Graduation.

Where does an artist make their money these days? Tours. Live Music. Selling stadium tickets, not albums.

the dude kanye never lost his hunger. thats for sure. dude is still hungry for more, and thats the best thing about him imo. he never comes out with some half+%! stuff.

but if i were to choose? i couldnt. but i can say this...

college dropout soul + late registration beats + graduation swag = kanye in his best.

i can pretty much say dude is probably my favorite rapper outside of jay. i enjoy all of his music and can play it on repeat.

im interested in the direction he will take next. would be dope if he took on full live orchestras as his next venture.

Originally Posted by DC SOUNDS

people don't realize the financial strategy involved with this dudes progression.

Why is the Glow In The Dark Tour the greatest tour in recent years? Mainly because of Graduation.

Where does an artist make their money these days? Tours. Live Music. Selling stadium tickets, not albums.

Thats EXACTLY what I've been screamin. Without Graduation this tour wouldn't be assuccessful as it is now. You can't truly justify Graduation without goin to the GITD tour for yourself. Like I said in the other thread Can't Tell MeNothin, I Wonder, Good Morning, Good Life, Flashing Lights LIVE is amazing! Damnit Ye' said it himself.

Y'all are bugging if you don't think LR 'Ye is him at his finest.

I'ma go as far to say that Late Registration is THE best hip hop album this decade, EASY.

I have to go with the College Drop Out, his Lyrics were the best out of any albums first and foremost, He was still egoistical and all but sill kind of hadthat humble laid back vibe, then i would take Late Registration, talked about some meaningful stuff on the album and i enjoyed the more instrumental productionwith Jon Brion. I mean i still like Kanye West and all but his lyrics don't have the same feeling that they use to, On graduation the production wasamazing and unique but some of the lyrics were just awful and corny, that nazi line in flashing lights, the whole beginning of I Wonder, I'm lookingforward to the GITD tour this Friday at Chicago and everything but not as much as i would of been seeing him after CD or LR. (probbaly after seeing him livewill change my mind about him a little but we'll see). Also i really enjoyed that video on the last page brought back memories when i first heard Throughthe Wire on MTV, when it was you hear it first, and then i remember going on the Internet to find out more about him and getting hooked, sophomore year of highschool CD was my soundtrack.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

^A Helluva statement there, fam
laugh.gif

Far from it. What hip hop album that's dropped since 1/1/00 is better than LR?

Not The Blueprint.
Not Stillmatic.
Not Stankonia.
And DEFINITELY not College Dropout.

The closest competition is Supreme Clientele and LR is still far better.Mind you this is coming from someone who has Hov, Kast & Ghost in his top 5 (WITH HOV #1).

Originally Posted by Tuff G0ng

^A Helluva statement there, fam
laugh.gif

Far from it. What hip hop album that's dropped since 1/1/00 is better than LR?

Not The Blueprint.
Not Stillmatic.
Not Stankonia.
And DEFINITELY not College Dropout.

The closest competition is Supreme Clientele and LR is still far better. Mind you this is coming from someone who has Hov, Kast & Ghost in his top 5 (WITH HOV #1).

whoa... calm down there. Late registration is an amazing album but... BP is a classic album. stillmatic was a heater, and stankonia was crack aswell. iloved late registration, but it didnt get the airtime BP got. even when LR released, i still bumped BP.

LR was hot, #2 maybe. but the blueprint was better in my eyes.

How about all of the above?
laugh.gif

I was a fan of Kanye's early production and pre-college dropout era so of course I can see why a lot of you really like the C.D. era because of the rawsoulfulness to it. LR helped me through my freshman year in college and the growth from his first album to his sophomore album was reallywell-defined/sculptured and more relevant as well imo.

Now Graduation....he brought it to a whole new level and turned his album into a lifetime story/movie...or at least I'm being a little biased after goingto the Glow in the Dark Tour.

To look back, I think every true Kanye fan has to at least appreciate the progress and growth Kanye; the kid from the chi who was signed just for hisbeats to becoming a household name to being one of the top, if not the top, artist in the world.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Music wise he is getting better but Soul Sample 'Ye will always be #1 i'm sure most people in here will agree with that...

Always #1 in muh book 2 ..........

Originally Posted by thagreatj

Great thread. I'll chime in more later when I get home.

For now, I'll just say that I don't think CD Kanye couldn't entertainment a stadium like he could now. He transcended from jusr a fly rapper to an all around artist.
\ not true, he killed the confessions tour.
Far from the truth juss cuz the glow in the dark tour was the first time u saw Ya perform live dont mean nothin .............

College Dropout Kanye > High Fashion Kanye (LR era) > Hypebeast Kanye (Graduation - present)

I think it's just a testament of his versatility that he go go through three changes of musical and still be hot...
but soul beats kanye ftw.

Back
Top Bottom