Who else out there thinks fraternities are just glorified gangs?

Frats, gangs, same sentence....?

LOL most I have met or seen are knobs so I dk about calling frats 'gangs'

indifferent.gif

You kids have no idea what you're talking about.
laugh.gif

Can somebody explain the whole buying friends? Pardon my ignorance I didn't know joining a frat had a price.

^^yes, some of us do know what we're talking about. That's the reason sooo many organizations/ chapters are banned/ suspended/ on freeze... because of the gang mentality.
And you know it's true.

@Quincy Powell- all greek letter organizations have initiation costs that are usually at least $500-1000.  In addition, initiates are encouraged to take part it [illegal] underground activities to deepen the bond with the organization.  Most pledges feel that it is necessary to participate in these rites of passage to be completely accepted by the organization.

Originally Posted by Quincy Powell

Can somebody explain the whole buying friends? Pardon my ignorance I didn't know joining a frat had a price.
These organizations are still a business. $ keeps these businesses afloat. Every fraternity/sorority has to pay dues to maintain a good standing with the university, district, and national headquarters.

I'm a member of Alpha Phi Alpha. My dues paid for my membership and the insurance we need to throw events/fundraisers and is sent straight to the national headquarters. Those "friends" I supposedly bought don't even see that $. Try again.

Chapter dues pays for those events to be thrown, where we can profit off of and give back to our campus/community...as well as do whatever we please with.

And these idiot organizations that are banned/suspended or whatever are doing it all wrong and going against what they were initially founded for. Put that up with them...not the ones who are actually doing it right.

On a related note, I know a guy who crossed, dropped out of college, and still attends functions like 5 years after he failed out of college
Son you have no job, no degree, no future and you're still strolling?
eek.gif
laugh.gif

It's like he went to college just to pledge.
indifferent.gif
eyes.gif

A clear case of College:
bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

And these idiot organizations that are banned/suspended or whatever are doing it all wrong and going against what they were initially founded for. Put that up with them...not the ones who are actually doing it right.

It's still gang mentality fam
laugh.gif
the ones that get caught are just sloppy with their's. No matter what you say, it's not gonna change that fact, whether you want to accept it or not. I don't even feel like explaining why right now, but it's fairly obvious. Were the organizations founded on those prinicples? No. Unfortunately, it just evolved into that over the years.

Also, I don't think that the phrase 'paying for friends' implies that they pay the actual chapter, it just says that they are paying period. However, I don't agree with that 'paying for friends' stuff anyway.

I won't say I agree but I can definitely see why some would view it as such. When you have cats who were loners, bookworms, never partied, never got any play from females all of a sudden gets letters and transform into a whole new person. They only !@$% that irks me is when it's a frail dude who starts poppin off at the mouth and starting !@$% because he knows he has backup.

I've heard from too many people that are in frats/ sororities that it's highly over rated and that if they could go back and do it again, they wouldn't have joined in the first place.

I don't really have a problem with any of these organizations, I just have a problem with how fake a lot of the people become when they get their "letters".

As for me, I don't do well with comformity and being obligated to spend time with people that I probably would have never befriended if it wasn't for this experience, so with that I say PASS.

But to each its own.

Originally Posted by hellaones

I won't say I agree but I can definitely see why some would view it as such. When you have cats who were loners, bookworms, never partied, never got any play from females all of a sudden gets letters and transform into a whole new person. They only !@$% that irks me is when it's a frail dude who starts poppin off at the mouth and starting !@$% because he knows he has backup.
Even us in organizations point out the same nonsense...dudes that have some new found courage because they know (or think) they have their boys to back them up.

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

Originally Posted by hellaones

Even us in organizations point out the same nonsense...dudes that have some new found courage because they know (or think) they have their boys to back them up.
This happens all the time, you gotta overlook those people. Other than that, frats get so much negative press that people completely disregard the positive effects that we have on the community. I won't go beating that horse. I can't explain it to you if you've already formulated your opinion anyways.

Have at it NT.

getting beat in... check
colors... check
hand signs... check
(this may not imply to all but) beight taught to hate the other groups... check

I'm mainly talking about the black greeks, btw, mainly undergrad. Not sure how the others get down.

Originally Posted by dunks87

I've heard from too many people that are in frats/ sororities that it's highly over rated and that if they could go back and do it again, they wouldn't have joined in the first place.

I don't really have a problem with any of these organizations, I just have a problem with how fake a lot of the people become when they get their "letters".

As for me, I don't do well with comformity and being obligated to spend time with people that I probably would have never befriended if it wasn't for this experience, so with that I say PASS.

But to each its own.
That's probably because they just joined some organization to join...with little to no acknowledgment of the history they joined or legacy they followed...and probably didn't join or get picked up by whom they wanted to join with anyways.

I still kick it with dudes I went to HS with or people that aren't in the same organization as me. That !+#% doesn't matter. People get fake because they're fake people. The letters didn't do that.

I make the letters. The letters never made me. I was known before all that %++**#%! and was never super "Greek" out here. Everyone reacts to it and does what they want to do at the end of the day. I know dudes that joined up because their daddy was one and you rarely saw them again. I was never obliged to kick it with nobody and I was VP of the chapter. Take care of business and do whatever I want to do...

Coming from someone who grew up very close to "street gangs" and having some of my best friends be in frats, they are very similar. You really can't argue that. One is inherently bad and the other isn't for the most part, but they share alot of similarities.

These organizations are still a business. $ keeps these businesses afloat. Every fraternity/sorority has to pay dues to maintain a good standing with the university, district, and national headquarters.

I'm a member of Alpha Phi Alpha. My dues paid for my membership and the insurance we need to throw events/fundraisers and is sent straight to the national headquarters. Those "friends" I supposedly bought don't even see that $. Try again.

Chapter dues pays for those events to be thrown, where we can profit off of and give back to our campus/community...as well as do whatever we please with.

I'm not saying that all frats are detrimental to the community. I know that there a lot out there that actually work to help out others and themselves. I'm mainly taking about those fraternities like my bros that seem to have no special to offer but drinking, smoking, partying, and who would kill themselves if they lost a football game to their rival frat. I just don't understand how serious this has to be. I'm all for pride in the organizations that your involved in but damn at one point the lines can get blurry.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

getting beat in... check
colors... check
hand signs... check

I'm mainly talking about the black greeks, btw, mainly undergrad. Not sure how the others get down.
We joke around and call ourselves a gang/cult all the time so...I'm failing to see why this matters.

Sure...there are similarities. And?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by LABolt317

I'm not saying that all frats are detrimental to the community. I know that there a lot out there that actually work to help out others and themselves. I'm mainly taking about those fraternities like my bros that seem to have no special to offer but drinking, smoking, partying, and who would kill themselves if they lost a football game to their rival frat. I just don't understand how serious this has to be. I'm all for pride in the organizations that your involved in but damn at one point the lines can get blurry.
Sounds like basic stereotyping to me. Sure...the KKK was around. Does that make every White person racist? No.

There will be a few fools for every bunch. It is what it is.

MisterP0315 wrote:Post a reply Yuku
Originally Posted by sooperhooper

getting beat in... check
colors... check
hand signs... check

We joke around and call ourselves a gang/cult all the time so...I'm failing to see why this matters.

Sure...there are similarities. And?
laugh.gif

and what? that's what most of us are arguing.

just because you seem like a normal guy in a normal frant doesn't mean that the majority of frats that act like pseudo gangs. you know those frats of a bunch of people but would never shoot the fair but when those drunk balls kick in and they got 4 of their brothers with them, then it's go time.

those kids that never sold weed but got a ill hook up purely by being in the frat and go on to act like they are escobar reincarnated. those frats that beat the living @@*@ out of each other over dumb stuff. usually over a girl or someone steppin on their shoes. theres gang tendencies in all frats, some more than others.

Originally Posted by dunks87

Back
Top Bottom