Who here has studied abroad? vol. Pimpin all over the world

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

Originally Posted by MetallicNitro

Studied in London for 3 weeks in '09. Best time of my life 
pimp.gif
. It was about 20 of us including our professor. She completely changed her whole syllabus. Cancelled the first week's assignment, and shortened the 2nd and 3rd week assignments from a minimum of X to  "just make it good" and went out drinking with us. I spent so much money going out, getting drunk, hanging out with the guys who worked at the pub... all in the 1st week and half. 
I met so many people from different parts of the world. I enjoyed that more than anything. Talking about life and getting to see the world from a whole different perspective just changed me. I will never ever forget those three weeks (other than the times I blacked out 
laugh.gif
)
One of my boys did a semester in London and you basically described his experience word for word
laugh.gif
If you don't mind me asking, about how much did you spend (above program expenses/tuition)?
He didn't happen to go to SUNY Albany did he? 
nerd.gif

I think I spent about $1200 those three weeks. It was around the end of week 2 that I started to budget my money. There were people there who ran out of money and had to borrow from our professor and there were those who had plenty left over. It's a smart idea setting a budget for the various expenses.

To anyone planning on studying summer abroad, do not waste your summer on it.

Do study abroad during the fall/spring. You summers should be reserved for internships. That's how you build a beastly resume.

Do study abroad during the fall/spring. You summers should be reserved for internships. That's how you build a beastly resume.

community college FTL
frown.gif
not at all a big fan of universities but this is the only thing i wish i could have done.........

community college FTL
frown.gif
not at all a big fan of universities but this is the only thing i wish i could have done.........

Funny you made this thread today. I literally just got back to California today from studying abroad in London for 4 months. Easily the best time of my life. Essentially took courses based on London itself (ie. London Museums, British Cinema, Theatre in London, London: Society and Space) so we went to a ton of plays and museums and really learned about the city and history of London's culture. Then on the 3-day weekends just dipped out to Spain, France, Italy, Netherlands, Germany, etc.

I spent a lot of money on clubs, drinks, travels, so at times it felt like I wasn't focusing on school, but just being in a foreign country for 4 months, meeting different kinds of people from all over the world, and just seeing yourself handle your business and not crumble under change is really what helped me grow as a person, really opened my eyes to opportunities I thought never existed, ie. im now considering applying for grad school back in London or some other foreign metropolis. You should definitely make your way out to another country. Hope this helps.

Funny you made this thread today. I literally just got back to California today from studying abroad in London for 4 months. Easily the best time of my life. Essentially took courses based on London itself (ie. London Museums, British Cinema, Theatre in London, London: Society and Space) so we went to a ton of plays and museums and really learned about the city and history of London's culture. Then on the 3-day weekends just dipped out to Spain, France, Italy, Netherlands, Germany, etc.

I spent a lot of money on clubs, drinks, travels, so at times it felt like I wasn't focusing on school, but just being in a foreign country for 4 months, meeting different kinds of people from all over the world, and just seeing yourself handle your business and not crumble under change is really what helped me grow as a person, really opened my eyes to opportunities I thought never existed, ie. im now considering applying for grad school back in London or some other foreign metropolis. You should definitely make your way out to another country. Hope this helps.

my buddy went to switzerland and im 98% sure he only did it to bag them swiss girls
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

my buddy went to switzerland and im 98% sure he only did it to bag them swiss girls
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
. It was about 20 of us including our professor. She completely changed her whole syllabus. Cancelled the first week's assignment, and shortened the 2nd and 3rd week assignments from a minimum of X to  "just make it good" and went out drinking with us. I spent so much money going out, getting drunk, hanging out with the guys who worked at the pub... all in the 1st week and half. 
I met so many people from different parts of the world. I enjoyed that more than anything. Talking about life and getting to see the world from a whole different perspective just changed me. I will never ever forget those three weeks (other than the times I blacked out 
laugh.gif
)
One of my boys did a semester in London and you basically described his experience word for word
laugh.gif
If you don't mind me asking, about how much did you spend (above program expenses/tuition)?
nerd.gif

I think I spent about $1200 those three weeks. It was around the end of week 2 that I started to budget my money. There were people there who ran out of money and had to borrow from our professor and there were those who had plenty left over. It's a smart idea setting a budget for the various expenses.
Nah but pretty close
laugh.gif
SUNY Binghamton

Thats not too bad considering how expensive London is. I'm still in the stages of figuring out where I'm studying but hopefully I can keep the personal expenses under a few thousand

on_line.gif
SlamCity
Good stuff man. Its gotta be pretty nice to look back and say you immersed yourself in a totally new culture for that long...one of the main reasons I wanna go abroad.

pimp.gif
laugh.gif
)
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

Nah but pretty close
laugh.gif
SUNY Binghamton

Thats not too bad considering how expensive London is. I'm still in the stages of figuring out where I'm studying but hopefully I can keep the personal expenses under a few thousand

on_line.gif
SlamCity
Good stuff man. Its gotta be pretty nice to look back and say you immersed yourself in a totally new culture for that long...one of the main reasons I wanna go abroad.

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

I wanted to go to Trinidad but nobody from my schools down to go. Now Im thinking Mexico wit a couple peeps. Mexican women are
pimp.gif
especially when you got a thing for latinas like I.

what part of Mexico? Depending where, it may not be a good time to to considering their current situation

I wanted to go to Trinidad but nobody from my schools down to go. Now Im thinking Mexico wit a couple peeps. Mexican women are
pimp.gif

what part of Mexico? Depending where, it may not be a good time to to considering their current situation

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

pimp.gif

Monterrey, which the website says is pretty safe
laugh.gif
 I aint worried though, grew up in east africa and go back every now and then so its nothing new, probably nicer Im thinkin

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

pimp.gif

Monterrey, which the website says is pretty safe
laugh.gif
 I aint worried though, grew up in east africa and go back every now and then so its nothing new, probably nicer Im thinkin

Originally Posted by Inspectorgadget13

I was in Spain this summer it was the best time of my life. Study abroad/travel when the world cup is going on
pimp.gif

NICE. Spain is one of the destinations I'm looking at...any things you wish you knew before going?

And Grim I feel you on the academics. I've heard it both ways i.e. classes are super hard/easy but hopefully I can balance the experience and actually doing work
laugh.gif
Service in Spain is very slow. I would be at a restaurant waiting for service and getting the bill would always take days. Oh yeah they have 2 siestas(naps) a day so shops wouldnt be open during certain hours. It's not like the US where shops/restaurants are open all the time. I experienced the good and bad but it was well worth it. If you're going to be there during the summer be sure to check out Ibiza. There are two things you need to do in college and that is to get laid and study abroad
laugh.gif

I was in Spain (Barcelona) studying abroad this summer too. Did 6 weeks. I missed out in undergrad and this was my last chance so I jumped at it. Definitely one of the best times I've had in my life. Being out there for the world cup victory was a great stroke of luck as well
pimp.gif
. For my experience the classes were conducted in a serious matter but the professor's grading was way more lenient. I suspect this would be the same with most programs for two reasons: 1) the professors know that you are also out their to enjoy the experience and immerse yourself in the foreign culture, so od'in on the academics would be a messed up thing to do; and 2) schools want to attract people to study abroad and no one will want to spend all that money and study abroad if they hear that half the students got terrible grades. Anyways, I didn't experience the bad service or anything like that but maybe its because my Spanish is pretty decent. Overall I was able to immerse myself in the culture and got to enjoy one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to (the food and architecture were
eek.gif
). My only regret was not making it to Ibiza. I spent a few of my weekends traveling to other European cities such as Amsterdam (twice), Paris and London. I didn't have enough time during the week to head out to Ibiza but I'm sure this won't be my last time in Spain so I'll get it on the next go around.

My advice to you OP is if you want to go to Spain, make sure you find a good deal on a place to stay that's located near the metro. They hustle real estate out there just like we do and the brokers are just looking to make a buck, but there are some deals to be had. Also, it definitely helps to know basic Spanish but if not you can still survive. A decent amount of people speak English. Hell what caught me off guard was how many people spoke Indian languages. My roommate was Indian and between me and him we had the game on lock lol. It seemed like at least 50 percent of the shop owners and workers were Indian and he could talk to all of them while I covered the Spanish ones. One last piece of advice, don't stare at the ******* on the beach
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

Meh I don't necessarily agree with that. Study abroad is a valuable resume chip that sets you apart from the pack. If you have a good amount of work experience and a choice between study abroad or working a third or fourth internship for free, I say study abroad. If you don't have work experience though you should definitely work.

I was in Spain this summer it was the best time of my life. Study abroad/travel when the world cup is going on
pimp.gif

NICE. Spain is one of the destinations I'm looking at...any things you wish you knew before going?

And Grim I feel you on the academics. I've heard it both ways i.e. classes are super hard/easy but hopefully I can balance the experience and actually doing work
laugh.gif
Service in Spain is very slow. I would be at a restaurant waiting for service and getting the bill would always take days. Oh yeah they have 2 siestas(naps) a day so shops wouldnt be open during certain hours. It's not like the US where shops/restaurants are open all the time. I experienced the good and bad but it was well worth it. If you're going to be there during the summer be sure to check out Ibiza. There are two things you need to do in college and that is to get laid and study abroad
laugh.gif

I was in Spain (Barcelona) studying abroad this summer too. Did 6 weeks. I missed out in undergrad and this was my last chance so I jumped at it. Definitely one of the best times I've had in my life. Being out there for the world cup victory was a great stroke of luck as well
pimp.gif
. For my experience the classes were conducted in a serious matter but the professor's grading was way more lenient. I suspect this would be the same with most programs for two reasons: 1) the professors know that you are also out their to enjoy the experience and immerse yourself in the foreign culture, so od'in on the academics would be a messed up thing to do; and 2) schools want to attract people to study abroad and no one will want to spend all that money and study abroad if they hear that half the students got terrible grades. Anyways, I didn't experience the bad service or anything like that but maybe its because my Spanish is pretty decent. Overall I was able to immerse myself in the culture and got to enjoy one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to (the food and architecture were
eek.gif
). My only regret was not making it to Ibiza. I spent a few of my weekends traveling to other European cities such as Amsterdam (twice), Paris and London. I didn't have enough time during the week to head out to Ibiza but I'm sure this won't be my last time in Spain so I'll get it on the next go around.

My advice to you OP is if you want to go to Spain, make sure you find a good deal on a place to stay that's located near the metro. They hustle real estate out there just like we do and the brokers are just looking to make a buck, but there are some deals to be had. Also, it definitely helps to know basic Spanish but if not you can still survive. A decent amount of people speak English. Hell what caught me off guard was how many people spoke Indian languages. My roommate was Indian and between me and him we had the game on lock lol. It seemed like at least 50 percent of the shop owners and workers were Indian and he could talk to all of them while I covered the Spanish ones. One last piece of advice, don't stare at the ******* on the beach
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

Meh I don't necessarily agree with that. Study abroad is a valuable resume chip that sets you apart from the pack. If you have a good amount of work experience and a choice between study abroad or working a third or fourth internship for free, I say study abroad. If you don't have work experience though you should definitely work.

My homie did a semester in Tokyo This year and he loved it said he wants to move there to teach english he tried to sneak a samurai sword back thru customs and got arrested lol

My homie did a semester in Tokyo This year and he loved it said he wants to move there to teach english he tried to sneak a samurai sword back thru customs and got arrested lol

Back
Top Bottom