Who is the most beloved athlete of All-Time?

when you were a kid playing whiffle ball who did you always say you were? almost always babe ruth or the kid. thats where my votes would go

LOL@ anyone lefting MJ here. i mean how many of you guys bought his shoes cuz he worn em

clemente.jpg

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

I've always though Griffey was a little overrated. It's commonly thought that injuries sidetracked his career. However, he didn't become a Disabled List All Star until his 30s. And since he broke into the majors at 19 and was named an all-star the next year, Griffey had over a decade of prime years. Yet he only won 1 MVP award and his career .284 batting average and .370 on-base percentage are pretty pedestrian compared to other all-time greats. Frank Thomas was a much better hitter and he's about as free of PED suspicion as it gets.
His lack of MVPS can be attributed to how bad the Mariners were for years and the fact they were in the NW. If Griff played for the Yankees, 3 MVPs, minimum.

Originally Posted by MBen32

JPZx Although i recognized his greatness, I HATED Jordan during his playing days.

Another one I can think of who is beloved by fans of all teams.
Penny_Hardaway.jpg
eek.gif
 Never seen those Penny AJ9 PE before 
pimp.gif

Griffey Jr. 
pimp.gif
 & MJ 
pimp.gif

Football:
Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
Walter Payton(R.I.P)
Reggie White(R.I.P)
Joe Montana
Jerry Rice
Jon Elway
Primetime Neon Deion Sanders
Ray Lewis

Basketball:
MJ
Wilt (20,000
pimp.gif
)
Kareem
Magic
Bill Russell
Shaq
Penny Hardaway
Sir Charles
laugh.gif

Dominique Wilkins
Ray Allen

Baseball:
Babe Ruth
Ken Griffey jr
Lou Gehrig
Roy Halladay
Albert Pujols
Yogi Berra
Hank Aaron
Kirby Puckett
Mariano Riviera( I'm a Sox fan but i gotta respect the best closer ever)
grin.gif

David Ortiz and Manny(before the whole steroid thing but I still like em both)
ohwell.gif

Hockey:
Wayne Gretzky
Gordie Howe
Maurice Richard
Bobby Orr
Martin Brodeur

Boxing:
Muhammed Ali
Joe Louis
Manny Pacquiao
Rocky Balboa
roll.gif

Soccer:
Ronaldinho(in his prime)
Lionel Messi
Gigi Buffon
Kaka
Pele

*edit
Others:
Jesse Owens
Usain Bolt

Sorry for the long *** post these are just who i  think are the most beloved athletes

Who doesn't like Deion? I've never heard a bad thing about him.

Ray, yeah, I could understand why you might not like him... but it seems he's rehabilitated his reputation considerably since his murder trial.

i thought when orlando traded penny for chris webber on draft night orlando fans booed penny?

just sayin...

Beside the obvious ones already mentioned, I would say Ray Allen. No one really hates him, even Celtic Haters and Laker fans have a soft spot for him.

Originally Posted by MALI700

pele

I don't sign on this much to say much but four pages in and I only saw pele once. Gotta give the dude some support. Worldwide has to be him; in America, probably Ali

Not all-time but here are some players in the NBA today that i can think of who all seem to be widely liked by NBA fans for all different teams, that havent been mentioned in this thread alot...
David Lee (no homer but even the most OD Knick haters that i know consider him to be the only Knick they like, and NYers love him)

Ray Allen (as a die-hard Boston hater i concur)

KG (before Boston)

Chris Paul (before last years playoffs/injury problems this season)

Jameer Nelson

Deron Williams

Brandon Roy

KEVIN DURANT (and the rest of the Thunder but well see how long that lasts...)

Jamal Crawford

Steve Nash* (I'll give Nash a little * because as much as i see that most average NBA fans LOVE Steve Nash, he also has more haters than the other dudes on the list, mostly because of his 2 MVPs which you cant really fault him for though)

Chauncey Billups

the rest of the list is on point for the most part. ftr my Knicks fan blood does not allow me to like MJ but 98% of the world is all over his nuts so you gotta include him 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

I've always though Griffey was a little overrated. It's commonly thought that injuries sidetracked his career. However, he didn't become a Disabled List All Star until his 30s. And since he broke into the majors at 19 and was named an all-star the next year, Griffey had over a decade of prime years. Yet he only won 1 MVP award and his career .284 batting average and .370 on-base percentage are pretty pedestrian compared to other all-time greats. Frank Thomas was a much better hitter and he's about as free of PED suspicion as it gets.
His lack of MVPS can be attributed to how bad the Mariners were for years and the fact they were in the NW. If Griff played for the Yankees, 3 MVPs, minimum.

I disagree. Based on his numbers, which years did Griffey deserve the MVP besides when he won it in 1997?

1993? Frank Thomas and John Olerud had better numbers.
1994? Frank Thomas and Albert Belle had better numbers.
1996? Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGwire, and Frank Thomas had better numbers.
1998? Alex Rodriguez and Albert Belle had better numbers.
1999? Manny Ramirez, Nomar Garciaparra, Roberto Alomar, and Derek Jeter had better numbers.

Back
Top Bottom