Who really cares if Rose cheated?

Originally Posted by yungmatt

Originally Posted by doyung9

It's obvious it's 17-18 year old kids and younger v. older heads in this argument, with prob. the exception of yungmatt, because you're usually levelheaded on things.
Nah dont get me wrong, what went on wasnt the right thing to do but I just dont care about it because I look at these dudes strictly as athletes and nothing more. Everyone was being used in the situation. Rose used memphis for the year he was there to Prep him for the league and Cal used Rose to get to the Natl Title game
laugh.gif

It would be almost impossible for you and your family to KNOW your going to the league from the time your in HS and say "Im gonna focus on my SATS" when you know that your gonna be a millionaire within a year and more than likely wont have to read another book in your life. Thats just being real about it.
Yeah... I agree with the that's just being real part. What's messed up is that that's the truth these days, and it shouldn't bethat way, ya know?

Joka, that sounds more like the issue of the black family and not what the thread is about. Its true there are too many black children that come from homesthat don't value education. I was blessed enough that I was born into a family where education is cherished. It seems to me you were the same, or you hadenough drive to get it done despite the odds.

That all starts in the home. When my kids are born, I'm going to push the importance of education, God forbid they have a learning disability.

I commend and applaud you for your role in that kid's life. There should be more like you and we wouldn't have the problems our community has. I alsoparticipated in the bigbrother program back in Hampton Roads during college.

Rose, and many like him, have a gift. Why should society and the educational system hold him back from pursuing his dream? In a city where kids, public schoolkids, are being killed every day, I'm just happy to see one that made it. A senior male was killed at Simeon during Rose's freshman year. These kidsshould be given an opportunity man. They should be pushed academically, but they shouldn't be punished when they don't meet standards.

It's obvious it's 17-18 year old kids and younger v. older heads in this argument, with prob. the exception of yungmatt, because you're usually levelheaded on things.
Nah dont get me wrong, what went on wasnt the right thing to do but I just dont care about it because I look at these dudes strictly as athletes and nothing more. Everyone was being used in the situation. Rose used memphis for the year he was there to Prep him for the league and Cal used Rose to get to the Natl Title game
laugh.gif

It would be almost impossible for you and your family to KNOW your going to the league from the time your in HS and say "Im gonna focus on my SATS" when you know that your gonna be a millionaire within a year and more than likely wont have to read another book in your life. Thats just being real about it.
Yeah... I agree with the that's just being real part. What's messed up is that that's the truth these days, and it shouldn't be that way, ya know?

Yup, it is the sad reality of the situation.

Your also 100% on point with post #100 .

Rose did what he had to do to get to where he is now. You can call him dumb or a cheater, but he was just looking out for his future.

I'm not condoning what he did but it doesn't affect my life or anyones so I could care less. He's only a basketball player, its not like he'sout there performing open heart surgery or flying a plane full of passengers. Some of you guys are taking this to personal.

The NCAA is just as bad when they make millions off these student athletes. Its all big business, you gotta find a way to get yours...

laugh.gif

That's just stupid. If you know that the SATs are a deciding factor of you being able to take one of those first steps into getting into theleague you BETTER HIT THOSE !*%$!## BOOKS.

That's some @@#%!+$@ and it's unjustifiable...not even by the fact that you know you are going to make it in the league.

This is disgusting news.

^^^ Thank you. I'm not saying every kid should cheat to make his way. Thats a personal decision.

Js, I l never laughed at Jennings. I supported his decision because I'm sick of seeing colleges manipulate these kids for big dance and bowl money, butthrowing the book at them when the players steal a cookie. I don't think you saw my edited response....Jennings came after Rose. He was the trailblazer.Now a kid can use that as a feasible option.

Rose, and all the other one and done players, are using these colleges just as we professionals use corporations to better ourselves. Have any of you startedin corporate, learned the industry, maybe got classes paid for...and then bolted for a higher paying position elsewhere, or use that knowledge to start yourown business (possibly as a competitor)???

Well now the tables have been turned on the NCAA. Kids are going to use that one year to improve their game and draft status or go overseas and get paid whilethey improve their game and draft status.

At least its a good discussion now. Obviously Rose is the one who really doesn't care. Think about, do you you think he has ever had to do good in school?I'm willing to bet no. Those are HIS decisions. HIS decision to not take remedial classes, HIS decision to not take SAT classes, HIS decision to letsomebody sit in for him on the test. HIS decision to have his grades changed. Now he has all that money and don't probably know how to properly handle it,which means he'll probably end up broke. /Rick James, "THEY SHOULDA NEVER GAVE YO !%@!+% MONEY"/Rick James.

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

At least its a good discussion now. Obviously Rose is the one who really doesn't care. Think about, do you you think he has ever had to do good in school? I'm willing to bet no. Those are HIS decisions. HIS decision to not take remedial classes, HIS decision to not take SAT classes, HIS decision to let somebody sit in for him on the test. HIS decision to have his grades changed. Now he has all that money and don't probably know how to properly handle it, which means he'll probably end up broke. /Rick James, "THEY SHOULDA NEVER GAVE YO !%@!+% MONEY"/Rick James.

LMAO
roll.gif

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

Joka, that sounds more like the issue of the black family and not what the thread is about. Its true there are too many black children that come from homes that don't value education. I was blessed enough that I was born into a family where education is cherished. It seems to me you were the same, or you had enough drive to get it done despite the odds.

That all starts in the home. When my kids are born, I'm going to push the importance of education, God forbid they have a learning disability.

I commend and applaud you for your role in that kid's life. There should be more like you and we wouldn't have the problems our community has. I also participated in the bigbrother program back in Hampton Roads during college.

Rose, and many like him, have a gift. Why should society and the educational system hold him back from pursuing his dream? In a city where kids, public school kids, are being killed every day, I'm just happy to see one that made it. A senior male was killed at Simeon during Rose's freshman year. These kids should be given an opportunity man. They should be pushed academically, but they shouldn't be punished when they don't meet standards.

he should pursue his dream, but in the end he still cheated on his way to his ultimate goal.

there's a right way of doing things and a wrong way. rose may have been one of the most gifted basketball players to ever come out of his high schoolclass, but that doesn't justify any cheating that helped him get into memphis.

across the country there are hundreds to thousands of high school seniors that must depend on their academics to get into schools and can't afford the"luxury" of having someone stand in for them for a SAT exam. most kids who are trying to earn as high of a score as possible on the SATs just toacademically qualify for that athletic scholarship that was offered to them or to get as high as possible of a score to upgrade their application for collegesdon't have the "help" that rose got. many of those who don't get that help end up not getting that athletic scholarship or end up having totake a different route to the college of their preference.

for every d. rose that cheats on their SATs, there are hundreds of thousands of prospective college students who try to do it the right way and end up notgetting to their ultimate goal. or at the very least, have to wait a little bit longer.

you can't justify his cheating by saying he's successful in the NBA. it's not about his success, it's about the morals and integrity of hisactions. not everyone is given the opportunity to earn millions of dollars playing a sport/game, most everyone has to work hard towards getting just a DECENTpaying job after college.

i mean, in all honesty, this and worse stuff more than likely goes on all over the country. doesn't mean that it's right, though.

Originally Posted by starbury03

laugh.gif

That's just stupid. If you know that the SATs are a deciding factor of you being able to take one of those first steps into getting into the league you BETTER HIT THOSE !*%$!## BOOKS.

That's some @@#%!+$@ and it's unjustifiable...not even by the fact that you know you are going to make it in the league.

This is disgusting news.

Like I said, thats the reality of the situation of a STAR recruit. Its easy to say its stupid and this and that when your looking from the outside in. Somekids just ARE NOT SMART but can Hoop. He coulda hit the books all he wanted but who knows if that woulda helped him actually pass on his own? Son has the giftof being able to play ball and now hes at the highest level. Hes a success no matter how anyone looks at it.

Also,If a school wants you bad enough, your more than likely gonna go to that school. Especially having a dude like dirty #!% Calipari as the head of theprogram. Rose aint the first and he wont be the last tied to one of these scandals.

OP, ARE YOU EFFIN SERIOUS? You're justifying and rationalizing with all these reasons, but end of the day, he was in the wrong. You all make it sound like it was

a) cheat on the SAT to go to college to he could jump to the pro's.
b) die in a gutter
c) sell drugs or rob banks forever

And that those were his only options. Dude could have gone the Jennings route. Dude could have gone JUCO... DUDE COULD HAVE STUDIED AND TAKEN SAT COURSES. Can any of you honestly tell me dude put his academics first in order to try and do things the right way?

He took the easy way out. He put a black mark on the college careers of everyone on that team, and so did Calipari, because there's no way he didn't know his star recruit was having trouble passing the SAT and then "all of a sudden" passed.

I care if Rose cheated. Because so many people before and after him will be held back because of their academic inadequacies.

I agree, college isn't for everyone, and the NBA shouldn't have an age limit. But as of right now, there is.

Doyung, I'm effin serious.

I believe in an earlier response I made it clear that I used some extremes, but I also provided examples of bball players criminal actions once bball dries up. Not all of them, but some.

Thank God for Jennings because now he has opened up a new avenue for HS bball stars. Am I wrong that Jennings came out after Rose? There was no established path when Rose graduated.

I would doubt that academics were placed ahead of the athletics, but can you verify that he never studied for the test? I haven't heard how many times he failed at this point.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with you.

Maybe the system should be re-evaluated. Maybe we should establish athletic academies that prepare these kids better.
You're missing the point. And I respect you having an opinion, offering alternatives and what not, but if we really care about these athletes like we claim to love them, then look at it this way. And I'll throw ONE name out there that should pretty much dead this whole discussion.

Jay Williams. He's done with basketball. Freak accident, caused by stupidity and he'll never be able to use his talent on a professional level again. Luckily for him, he went to a very prestigious educational institution (I HATE
mad.gif
Duke but I can't take from the education it provides) and if only for two years, he got something out of it AND there's no way you're getting into Duke and being wet bag of rocks dumb. He had to have some God given intelligence.

But like I said he'll never play basketball again. He's been destined for a like that can surround basketball, behind the scenes, or from an analyst POV. But he'll never PLAY again. I also heard he was working as an agent some. But do you guys remember Jay Williams? Dude had a million dollar smile, was great on camera, very charismatic and likable.

D. Rose doesn't have those things. Derrick Rose doesn't have a future as a Reggie Miller or a Kenny Smith after he's done. He's just not made for camera time like that, it's obvious. And if he was cheating that bad in high school and college, he's certainly not going to be anyone's agent or in their Administration after he's done.

Let's say D. Rose suffers, heaven forbid, a career ending accident. What's he going to do? Tell me.
just quoting this because it got lost at the bottom of the last page, but read what I said about Jay Williams and then weigh back in.

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

At least its a good discussion now. Obviously Rose is the one who really doesn't care. Think about, do you you think he has ever had to do good in school? I'm willing to bet no. Those are HIS decisions. HIS decision to not take remedial classes, HIS decision to not take SAT classes, HIS decision to let somebody sit in for him on the test. HIS decision to have his grades changed. Now he has all that money and don't probably know how to properly handle it, which means he'll probably end up broke. /Rick James, "THEY SHOULDA NEVER GAVE YO !%@!+% MONEY"/Rick James.

Dumbest post in this thread by far

Yeh, I meant to comment on Jay but got distracted by the Chappelle/James quote.

Jay Williams was blessed with charisma but probably got a lil lucky. ESPN felt sorry for dude, hell we all did, and gave him a spot on their already crowdedpanel. I believe he did go back and get his degree.

Its seems highly doubtful now, but whats to say Rose doesn't get his degree before he retires? LOL I know, but its possible.

If Rose doesn't wisely manage his money, he does so as a man. At least he had the opportunity to make that money. What he does with it is his business.Just as it was his business to send in a stud for the SAT. They are his decisions people. They didn't take any money out of your pocket or harm anyone inyour family.

It seems to me that a lot of people on this board do everything in life 100% "right". No missteps at all. Straight and narrow road all the way.

laugh.gif

That's just stupid. If you know that the SATs are a deciding factor of you being able to take one of those first steps into getting into the league you BETTER HIT THOSE !*%$!## BOOKS.

This is disgusting news.

Like I said, thats the reality of the situation of a STAR recruit. Its easy to say its stupid and this and that when your looking from the outside in. Some kids just ARE NOT SMART but can Hoop. He coulda hit the books all he wanted but who knows if that woulda helped him actually pass on his own? Son has the gift of being able to play ball and now hes at the highest level. Hes a success no matter how anyone looks at it.

Also,If a school wants you bad enough, your more than likely gonna go to that school. Especially having a dude like dirty #!% Calipari as the head of the program. Rose aint the first and he wont be the last tied to one of these scandals.
I've seen the inside. I know 4 D1 players 4 overseas players and 3 NBA players. I know and i've heard what goes on. Just because a hooperis dumb doesn't mean we should bend and break rules so he can hoop. Are you really okay with that? I'm not. If you have a weakness, be it in theclassroom, or wherever..just like on the court you have to work and work hard on it.

And that's a damn shame Rose did it this way. A tainted success IMO. If he was really that dumb he should have went overseas.

Jay Williams got a Pysch (?) degree in three years from Duke...took classes during the summer and what not.

I'm sure being a high profile basketball player helped land him his current gig with ESPN, but at least he had a degree to fall back on.

Yeh, I meant to comment on Jay but got distracted by the Chappelle/James quote.

Jay Williams was blessed with charisma but probably got a lil lucky. ESPN felt sorry for dude, hell we all did, and gave him a spot on their already crowded panel. I believe he did go back and get his degree.

Its seems highly doubtful now, but whats to say Rose doesn't get his degree before he retires? LOL I know, but its possible.

If Rose doesn't wisely manage his money, he does so as a man. At least he had the opportunity to make that money. What he does with it is his business. Just as it was his business to send in a stud for the SAT. They are his decisions people. They didn't take any money out of your pocket or harm anyone in your family.

It seems to me that a lot of people on this board do everything in life 100% "right". No missteps at all. Straight and narrow road all the way.

Jay Williams graduated Duke before he played a minute of regular season NBA action...he finished his degree in 3 years....

Just because a hooper is dumb doesn't mean we should bend and break rules so he can hoop. Are you really okay with that? I'm not. If you have a weakness, be it in the classroom, or wherever..just like on the court you have to work and work hard on it.

And that's a damn shame Rose did it this way. A tainted success IMO. If he was really that dumb he should have went overseas.

great points...I couldn't agree more....

this was one of the reasons why I brought up Brandon Jennings...dude explored OTHER options when his SAT scores didn't meet the requirements, or fellthrough. Rose and all of his handlers are at fault here. The minimum standards to be elgible as a freshman in the NCAA's isn't hard to meet. Ofcourse there are guys who are going to have trouble meeting those standards, but if you cheat to become qualified, then who is the blame on?

I've seen the inside. I know 4 D1 players 4 overseas players and 3 NBA players. I know and i've heard what goes on. Just because a hooper is dumb doesn't mean we should bend and break rules so he can hoop. Are you really okay with that? I'm not. If you have a weakness, be it in the classroom, or wherever..just like on the court you have to work and work hard on it.

laugh.gif
@ his success being tainted because he cheated on his SATs... Cmon lets be real, hes not cheating the game dude... Its not like a report cameout and it said he was on roids since HS.. Thats tainted success

Just because a hooper is dumb doesn't mean we should bend and break rules so he can hoop. Are you really okay with that? I'm not.

Nah dont get me wrong, what went on wasnt the right thing to do but I just dont care about it because I look at these dudes strictly as athletes and nothing more.

Thank God for Jennings because now he has opened up a new avenue for HS bball stars. Am I wrong that Jennings came out after Rose? There was no established path when Rose graduated.

Had to quote myself because everyone keeps saying he should have went overseas. There must have been some doubt or other issues seeing howJennings was the first after all these years.

I've seen the inside. I know 4 D1 players 4 overseas players and 3 NBA players. I know and i've heard what goes on. Just because a hooper is dumb doesn't mean we should bend and break rules so he can hoop. Are you really okay with that? I'm not. If you have a weakness, be it in the classroom, or wherever..just like on the court you have to work and work hard on it.

laugh.gif
@ his success being tainted because he cheated on his SATs... Cmon lets be real, hes not cheating the game dude... Its not like a report came out and it said he was on roids since HS.. Thats tainted success

Just because a hooper is dumb doesn't mean we should bend and break rules so he can hoop. Are you really okay with that? I'm not.

Nah dont get me wrong, what went on wasnt the right thing to do but I just dont care about it because I look at these dudes strictly as athletes and nothing more.

Because he didn't cheat physically what he accomplished isn't tainted?
laugh.gif
alien.gif

You only see people like Rose only as athletes? Good. Cause NCAA schools and NBA teams only see him as $$$.
I wonder why sports programs around the nation are so *#!*%$ up. Geez...
tired.gif

Some kids just can't achieve ... & I've never understood the constant pressure .

When I was in High School , the teachers made us seem like if we weren't smart , or if we couldn't get a 100% on everything , we couldn't doanything with our life .

I don't believe I ever took a SAT & im doing well in my life right now . Everyone isn't academics ... & I can't tell you the last timeI've used anything I've seen on a Standardized test in a real-life situation .

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

Some kids just can't achieve ... & I've never understood the constant pressure .

When I was in High School , the teachers made us seem like if we weren't smart , or if we couldn't get a 100% on everything , we couldn't do anything with our life .

I don't believe I ever took a SAT & im doing well in my life right now . Everyone isn't academics ... & I can't tell you the last time I've used anything I've seen on a Standardized test in a real-life situation .
Aren't you like 16?

Originally Posted by tmay407

I'm sorry, but if you can't get a qualifying SAT score (especially for Conference USA and a school like Memphis), you really don't deserve to be doing anything with your life.
probably the most absurd thing I've read today. very "high and mighty" sounding.

Starbury ...

Yeah , & im also a Sophomore in college , so I know something about academics .

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

Starbury ...

Yeah , & im also a Sophomore in college , so I know something about academics .

I'm not going to judge you. But seeing as how you are someone who appears to take academics seriously (considering you really are a 16 year only sophomorein college)..

You mean to tell me you would be OK with another 16 year old cheating his way to his sophomore in college? Probably not. And really? You never took the SATs?And you're a sophomore in college? Okay, whatever. I guess you wouldn't understand the hard work that goes into studying for that exam in order to getinto a good college then. And I guess that might not help you see why it is disgusting that someone can cheat their way through.
sick.gif

Because he didn't cheat physically what he accomplished isn't tainted?
laugh.gif
alien.gif

Taking and passing the SATs by himself would have made him a better player in your opinion? Seriously?

Remember, were talking about BASKETBALL
laugh.gif
. Your SAT score aint gonna make you smarter on the court.

You only see people like Rose only as athletes? Good. Cause NCAA schools and NBA teams only see him as $$$.
I wonder why sports programs around the nation are so *#!*%$ up. Geez...
tired.gif
This shouldnt be news to you or anyone else

Back
Top Bottom