Who would you rather take a risk on this summer, Bynum or Oden?

Granted Bynum will probably demand a larger contract than Oden, but you also get the peace of mind that he has actually been on the floor.

The last time we saw them, Bynum was the more complete big man.

I'd take Drew.

There were rumors that Oden was going to CLE for just 4 mil annually. If thats his price then I would gun for him and Drew

Last edited:
I was still in high school the last time Greg Oden played.......
Kendrick Lamar was a nobody the last time Greg Oden played......
Brandon Roy was the face of the Blazers the last time Greg Oden played......
Lebron was still on the Cavs the last time Greg Oden played......

The list goes on but I think you get the point
Feel free to add more

Every time Oden played, he was a monster. He was still clearly figuring it out and needed more experience but he was a beast on defense, a monster on the boards and no one was really strong enough to contain him. If he has any fire left, I'd sign him without hesitation. The reward is too high for the risk (maybe 4 mil a year? that's what bench players get paid) for me to turn down.

Only if I'm Phoenix am I taking a chance on the any of these 2.

IMO Bynum was just bs'ing because he didn't wanna play in Philly... Taking a year off to get healthy so to speak.

Last edited:
I think it's an interesting gamble either way.

Do you pay 10-15 million for Bynum? Or do you pay 2-5 million for Oden?

During his lone productive year, Oden really put it together nicely.

Both guys missed a ton of time, one just costs a LOT more.

Baggage Bynum. If he gets on the floor, how can he not be the easy choice?

Bynum no doubt. I hate to question someones heart, but I feel like Drew just wasn't motivated. He's got his 2 rings, he's got a fat contract and is about to get PAID by someone willing to take the chance. I just think he's one of "those" guys if you get what I'm trying to say.

Either that, he hates Philly, wants to play for a contender or all of the above (which is the case imo)

Dont wana thread-jack but another good question involving these 2 guys would be 'Who would you rather have at 100% health and no future injuries?'... It'd be a tough one to answer because we havent really seen what Oden can do over a long period of time, so I personally would have to go with Bynum. Although I do think if Oden wasn't so unfortunate with his injuries he'd be a monster right now.

Both are a risk, but I'd take Bynum. The upside with Bynum in this comparison is that it wasn't all that long ago when we saw Bynum play... It's been AWHILE since we've seen Oden play. Plus, whenever these two did play Bynum showed to be a better player to help build around / with then Oden did... Oden didn't show it consistently enough compared to Bynum (& I use that term loosely considering all their injuries). Oden is cheaper, but I think it would be worth the risk in taking Bynum (I'd stay away from giving him the max, even though either way I still see him getting a big contract).

In the back of my mind I still think that Bynum knew from the start he didn't wanna play in Philly & he wanted to use this year to rest & get work done on his knees. I could be completely off, but I still get the feeling that's what happened :nerd: :lol:

All this being said, I would like to see these two come back & have an impact for whatever team they play for. Hopefully this time off for both players can trigger a healthy comeback.

Bynum can actually play, Oden can't.

Even without great health, if he's at least "healthy enough" he's the second best C in the NBA. Oden isn't top 75.

Bynum as glass as he is, several hundred games the last 6 years + playoffs.

Oden, less than 100 games in 6 years and sucks.

Both have health/motivation issues, I think Oden could have been a very good player but we never got a chance to find out, though he was trending upward and his advanced stats showed the Blazers were a much better team with him on the floor.

However, we've seen Bynum put together stretches of dominant play at both ends. 10 blocks against Denver last year, controlling that game against the Spurs with Kobe on the bench. When healthy and motivated he was easily a max player and somebody you could build around. But having watched most of his career, it would be less of a risk to give Oden a few mil than to give Bynum a max deal at this point.

IMO Bynum was just bs'ing because he didn't wanna play in Philly... Taking a year off to get healthy so to speak.

He just got knee surgery again on BOTH knees....I don't think he just did that for ***** and giggles.

I wouldn't touch Bynum. I don't know what his rehab is gonna be like but nothing seemed to work for the dude with anything the Sixers tried this year. And he already had commitment and immaturity issues before that. Oden will atleast come pretty cheap, has had a lot of time to rest and would be a great comeback story. A lot more likeable dude too and would be a better teammate.

Back
Top Bottom