Whoa! Charles Barkley said Sheed could've been the BEST EVER?!?

Best player ever? It's a major claim, but who knows.

There's nothing on the basketball court he can't do, and he has the unteachable gift of size.

Sheed has a better outside game than Coleman ever had and he's more athletic. DC had better handles. Nobody had the passing ability that Webber had.

Sheed never developed into the force that people thought that would, but no way is he a waste of talent. Sheed has sacrificed individual stats and ego to bepart of a team. That's exactly what is preached in competitive sports from day one. Maybe if his career ended in Portland you could criticize him, butI'm not going to take anything away from him considering that he is integral to the success of Detroit.

[h3]thehealthinspector said:[/h3]
however, even though when ever u see this guy's outside game, u hear people talking about how "he has what it takes to be the best player in the league" but is that it? the outside game? i love watching sheed but does he really have the tools to be a better inside presence than kg and td? i dont even know if i would want my big man to take advantage of such a smooth outside game, for me big men should always be pounding the post

back in the 90s, sheed could pretty much back anyone down and imo had one of the best interior post games. he and td had some games against each other in theblocks. He just doesnt show it as much anymore as he used to.

if only whitsett (old blazers gm) was any good and built around him with more talent and less attitude and issues, the blazers might have been able to get aring...they were so close in those years, losing in the western conference finals to spurs and lakers...so close

Sheed & DC are two of the biggest wastes of talent the NBA has seen from the 4 spot in quite some time....more so, Derrick Coleman.

I dunno about Sheed being that big of a waste of talent, even though he definitely could've been better...

makes me wonder how good someone like VC could have been with a killer mentality

Originally Posted by C Dub606

^Slow down there DoubleJs...I don't think Rasheed was necessarily a "waste of talent." DC on the other hand I'll give you. Rasheed has always been less selfish and more team oriented. He has the "I'll do whatever my team needs to win" attitude. Now if he had the "I know I'm a killer" attitude, that'd be scary.

Put it this way.....he could have been MUCH better....if you saw what he was doing at UNC, you would have thought that he could have averaged 20/10 for hiscareer in the NBA. He has paltry rebounding #'s, and the freedom he was given in the NBA to shoot the 3, and drift further and further away from thepaint, ruined him. He didn't get away with the BS he does now when he was under Dean Smith's watch.

He's an underachiever no matter how you look at it. People like to say that he's "team oriented," but he should have been doing more withhis talents than disappearing on some nights and getting outplayed by lesser opponents. Tim Duncan is "team oriented" but he gets the most out ofhis abilities and is dominant. Sheed not so much....like I said before, he could have been better

Sheed is already ahead of Coleman for the simple fact that he takes care of his body. Coleman had a very short prime.

Wallace just doesn't care to be the greatest. Its obvious he's in it for the rings. No hating on that, its actually more admirable. Dude'sinfluence on Detroit gives them that blue collar ideology.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

In his respective position, he COULD have been one of the best PF's...he def has the skill set and can do everything.

^I'll agree that he SHOULD have been much better. If you saw what he was doing on the playgrounds here and even at Gratz, you knew he was special.

As far as comparing Duncan and Wallace...you already addressed that...
He has paltry rebounding #'s, and the freedom he was given in the NBA to shoot the 3, and drift further and further away from the paint, ruined him.
It's not a bad thing to try and expand your game put play YOUR game. That's what Sheed forgot how to do. This dude can cause a mismatchproblem for 99% of the NBA if he would just get down in the post. That's what greatly separates Duncan from Wallace.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

^Slow down there DoubleJs...I don't think Rasheed was necessarily a "waste of talent." DC on the other hand I'll give you. Rasheed has always been less selfish and more team oriented. He has the "I'll do whatever my team needs to win" attitude. Now if he had the "I know I'm a killer" attitude, that'd be scary.

Put it this way.....he could have been MUCH better....if you saw what he was doing at UNC, you would have thought that he could have averaged 20/10 for his career in the NBA. He has paltry rebounding #'s, and the freedom he was given in the NBA to shoot the 3, and drift further and further away from the paint, ruined him. He didn't get away with the BS he does now when he was under Dean Smith's watch.

He's an underachiever no matter how you look at it. People like to say that he's "team oriented," but he should have been doing more with his talents than disappearing on some nights and getting outplayed by lesser opponents. Tim Duncan is "team oriented" but he gets the most out of his abilities and is dominant. Sheed not so much....like I said before, he could have been better

He is very much an underachiever, he's capable of so much more. The thing he's pointing out C Dub is that he had everything except for thewillpower to be a great player, he didn't have the drive that the Jordans, the Kobes, the Magic's, have.

"if only whitsett (old blazers gm) was any good and built around him with more talent and less attitude and issues, the blazers might have been able toget a ring...they were so close in those years, losing in the western conference finals to spurs and lakers...so close " The Blazers gave Sheed everyopportunity to take charge of the team and become the franchise player and he wanted no part of it. Rasheed Wallace simply does not have the mental make-up tobecome a top banana type of guy. Once in awhile this MF'er would just start backing people down and doing whatever the hell he wanted to from 4 feet in,ridiculousness. You'd see it for one game and then it'd be nothin but the same old BS for another year and a half.

^JapanAir, I definitely agree with DoubleJs that Sheed lacks desire, motivation, etc., but dude isn't a "waste of talent" just for the simplefact that he is still producing in the league. Where's Coleman at? Sheed may not have lived up to his full potential but he's still a competitor inthis league.

^JapanAir, I definitely agree with DoubleJs that Sheed lacks desire, motivation, etc., but dude isn't a "waste of talent" just for the simple fact that he is still producing in the league. Where's Coleman at? Sheed may not have lived up to his full potential but he's still a competitor in this league.

Alright, I thought that's what the debate was about.

I can see why he says that though, it can be frustrating as a fan to see someone with so much potential to not fulfill that quota.

Anyone else still got those AF1 Sheeds from when he was in Portland, the HI black/white patent leather ones? My only DS pair of shoes, I've been wonderinglately if they're worth anything more than 100 bucks.

^JapanAir, I definitely agree with DoubleJs that Sheed lacks desire, motivation, etc., but dude isn't a "waste of talent" just for the simple fact that he is still producing in the league. Where's Coleman at? Sheed may not have lived up to his full potential but he's still a competitor in this league.

Derrick Coleman would be in his 40's....

Derrick Coleman (statistically) was > Sheed.....

IMO, Longevity does not equate to someone being immune to having the label of "waste of talent."

Originally Posted by Exile On Ivy St

Anyone else still got those AF1 Sheeds from when he was in Portland, the HI black/white patent leather ones? My only DS pair of shoes, I've been wondering lately if they're worth anything more than 100 bucks.
I sold my ds pair for about 200 a couple years ago

Originally Posted by BaronDavis5

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Chris Webber > Rasheed Wallace
Derrick Coleman > Rasheed Wallace
Tim Duncan > Rasheed Wallace
Earvin Johnson > Rasheed Wallace

Sheed > all 4 of those players mentioned along with Karl Malone.

That would be if Sheed actually focused on his game. Dude could easily be one of the greatest players.

How can you say Sheed > Karl Malone

Originally Posted by Johndaeyun

DETROIT-Pistons forward Rasheed Wallace awoke from the greatest dream Monday morning, in which he was in an NBA game, and he took off his headband and started using it as a slingshot, and everyone kept passing him the ball, but the balls were smaller than usual, or maybe his headband was bigger, and he kept slinging the balls into the hoop from a hundred feet away and he scored a million billion points, Wallace reported Monday. "I remember I was playing against the Celtics-except Paul Pierce, like, became Allen Iverson somehow, and my father was on their team for some reason-and my headband stretched across the whole court, and when I shot the balls from it, they all automatically went in, and then the floor started glowing," Wallace explained to reporters. "Also, I figured out this thing called the backwards dunk, where you dunk through the bottom of the rim, and the refs give you a thousand points for figuring out the secret. Oh, and the court was my house." Wallace said he cannot wait to try using his headband as a slingshot in a real game.
laugh.gif

Damn
laugh.gif
, Old habits die hard, son musta been burnin while playing nbajam and watching a mtv rock & jock clip from the 90's.

It's debatable.

Not a lot of tennis fans here, but even though Federer has been the best player on the tour for 5 years now, Marat Safin is arguably the most talented player.If he hadn't been injured so many times and maybe if he could stay focused in the game, he and Roger would have had a great rivalry.

Still, if I had a chance between a calendar slam and Marat Safin's female fans, I'd have to go with the latter. Dude makes Andy Roddick look like aboyscout.
laugh.gif

But back to the topic at hand, Sheed is an incredibly gifted player. Unfortunately, the game is more than just about "talent."

DETROIT-Pistons forward Rasheed Wallace awoke from the greatest dream Monday morning, in which he was in an NBA game, and he took off his headband and started using it as a slingshot, and everyone kept passing him the ball, but the balls were smaller than usual, or maybe his headband was bigger, and he kept slinging the balls into the hoop from a hundred feet away and he scored a million billion points, Wallace reported Monday. "I remember I was playing against the Celtics-except Paul Pierce, like, became Allen Iverson somehow, and my father was on their team for some reason-and my headband stretched across the whole court, and when I shot the balls from it, they all automatically went in, and then the floor started glowing," Wallace explained to reporters. "Also, I figured out this thing called the backwards dunk, where you dunk through the bottom of the rim, and the refs give you a thousand points for figuring out the secret. Oh, and the court was my house." Wallace said he cannot wait to try using his headband as a slingshot in a real game.
HAHAHAHA.

as a spurs fan i think Tim is God but I followed sheed since he was at UNC and his raw talent level is above that of duncan and garnett. Sheed had an insidebattle that prevented him from being the best PF ever - he didn't "get it" until he landed in Detroit

Originally Posted by AirJordanVI

Originally Posted by BaronDavis5

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Chris Webber > Rasheed Wallace
Derrick Coleman > Rasheed Wallace
Tim Duncan > Rasheed Wallace
Earvin Johnson > Rasheed Wallace

Sheed > all 4 of those players mentioned along with Karl Malone.

That would be if Sheed actually focused on his game. Dude could easily be one of the greatest players.

How can you say Sheed > Karl Malone

No, i said if he focused and actually played he would be better then all 5 of those players mentioned.

it's been said that if you put MJ, Magic or Bird's brain in his body, he coulda been the greatest...

^ i'd like to see that.

Back
Top Bottom