Why are NBA benches so crammed? Vol. Real Talk

Dudes are always shoulder to shoulder like the subway at 5:30. Can we really not manage to move the last chair like 5 feet to open some space? Or shorten that long +** row of news reporters a bit to give these dudes some room to breathe? 
Let's hear your thoughts lads.

i agree with you
laugh.gif

u act like theres mad space in the stadium... the owner rather seat all the random fans in the stadium... theres only 12-15 players plus the coach and assistant coach so theres not that much seating room for the team

If you wanna be technical...

5:30 on the subway is like a sweet spot time (NYC). I usually go home from school around that time (6 and 4 train) and its honestly not that crowded.
laugh.gif

Try 6 or 4ish.
sick.gif

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

If you wanna be technical...

5:30 on the subway is like a sweet spot time (NYC). I usually go home from school around that time (6 and 4 train) and its honestly not that crowded.
laugh.gif

Try 6 or 4ish.
sick.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
My dude was like "Pardon me Sir, but on the contrary..."

I agree and felt if players really wanted to chill, talk and enjoy the game they'd just sit in the corner next to the bench and the photographers under the rim.

Good point OP. and what about the photographers with their 45678432x zoom lens needing to be 4 inches from the baseline putting the players in danger every time they fall into the photographers row, what if they sprain ankles or knees having to dodge a precious photographer who could take quality images from far away?

Aside from cramming as many court side seats in as possible, fitting photogs in, arena personnel, scorer's table seating, etc. I honestly think the crammed benches keeps the players more focused. If you put more space between the chairs, dudes would just be leaned back in their chairs, or "settling in," so to speak. If you notice, guys on the bench who are suited up are almost always leaning forward, because the close proximity doesn't allow for players to just lounge on the sidelines. I think there's a difference in concentration provided by sitting in an alert position compared to a more relaxed environment.

I know it looks uncomfortable, but that's kind of the point.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Aside from cramming as many court side seats in as possible, fitting photogs in, arena personnel, scorer's table seating, etc. I honestly think the crammed benches keeps the players more focused. If you put more space between the chairs, dudes would just be leaned back in their chairs, or "settling in," so to speak. If you notice, guys on the bench who are suited up are almost always leaning forward, because the close proximity doesn't allow for players to just lounge on the sidelines. I think there's a difference in concentration provided by sitting in an alert position compared to a more relaxed environment.

Nah G, more court side seats, more paper

Originally Posted by MMG

Nah G, more court side seats, more paper
I'm not saying that's why the benches are crammed, I'm just saying that it's not necessarily a bad thing that the benches are crammed, from a competitive standpoint. just trying to give a different perspective.

I know when I played ball and I was planted on the bench ( 
eyes.gif
 ), the whole team was way more into when we were all close together. You shouldn't just be CHILLING on the bench 
laugh.gif

The benches are crammed, but when Steve Nash is on the bench he's usually laying down for his back, I'm sure there's some room on the bench to scoot over

I hate how they put the photographers 2 feet off the baseline, sitting down with their feet extended just asking for players to turn their ankle. It has happened quite a few times, also players hurting themselves falling over photographers, but until a significant injury happens to somebody significant, nothing will be done and possibly still not then. It just seems useless with the technology we have in 2012, they don't have to be 2 feet off the court, do they? You can buy an $80 camera like a Zi8 or Camileo and be in the top seat in the arena and zoom in close enough to read the text on player's jersey tags. Those MASSIVE, $20,000 cameras presumably can do the same, can't they? Also if I were a player, camera men following me around holding the camera 2 inches from my face would get old quick. Again, zoom.

Back
Top Bottom