Why aren't HBCU ever competitive on the national level

I was just thinking this. I know in Football they're usually I-AA teams but if one year the elite freshman in basketball decide to all go play for like Howard, Morgan St, or Grambling. Imagine Pitino's squad if they were at Howard. No number 15 seed for them. If the education they get is comparable to other school, wouldn't you think they have a chance to be competitive when it comes to recruiting. There have been many times where a player who's a star at a smaller school still gain prominence (Like Penny at Memphis St). Any chance we can see a domnent mid to low major team like the early 90's UNLV bball squads come out from a HBCU.

Discuss

btw I go to a D3 school so no bias from me.

I was just thinking this. I know in Football they're usually I-AA teams but if one year the elite freshman in basketball decide to all go play for like Howard, Morgan St, or Grambling. Imagine Pitino's squad if they were at Howard. No number 15 seed for them. If the education they get is comparable to other school, wouldn't you think they have a chance to be competitive when it comes to recruiting. There have been many times where a player who's a star at a smaller school still gain prominence (Like Penny at Memphis St). Any chance we can see a domnent mid to low major team like the early 90's UNLV bball squads come out from a HBCU.

Discuss

You just answered your own question,
laugh.gif

That UNLV squad was purchased by Tark though, so lets be fair.

The elite black athletes go to the big programs, that they think will help them go to the next level. You get next to no exposure on a HBCU level. Unless is the Bayou Classic on NBC. Only reason they are @ HBCU's are b/c they aren't good enough to go D1 or they have transferred in. No one really wants to go D2/1aa unless they have to.

The 'Black Magic' B-ball doc explained it perfectly. @ One time elite blacks went to those schools, and the school were able to play w/ anyone in the country. Then the major schools started accepting the black kids and things have never been the same sinc.e.

You just answered your own question,
laugh.gif

That UNLV squad was purchased by Tark though, so lets be fair.

The elite black athletes go to the big programs, that they think will help them go to the next level. You get next to no exposure on a HBCU level. Unless is the Bayou Classic on NBC. Only reason they are @ HBCU's are b/c they aren't good enough to go D1 or they have transferred in. No one really wants to go D2/1aa unless they have to.

The 'Black Magic' B-ball doc explained it perfectly. @ One time elite blacks went to those schools, and the school were able to play w/ anyone in the country. Then the major schools started accepting the black kids and things have never been the same sinc.e.

I went to an HBCU and was a student assistant coach...it will never happen...the facilities cant compare to a D1 school, there's very little if any national exposure, and HBCU's usually only have 7 or 8 scholarships to give out for basketball.

I went to an HBCU and was a student assistant coach...it will never happen...the facilities cant compare to a D1 school, there's very little if any national exposure, and HBCU's usually only have 7 or 8 scholarships to give out for basketball.

Because HBCU's don't have the money OR the facilities to get the best players. HBCU's do have some pretty good athletes, but they often lack the skill level of their Predom-white school counterparts. Speaking of Tark, well all I can say is that my time in Fresno was THE time of my life.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Because HBCU's don't have the money OR the facilities to get the best players. HBCU's do have some pretty good athletes, but they often lack the skill level of their Predom-white school counterparts. Speaking of Tark, well all I can say is that my time in Fresno was THE time of my life.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Probably the same because they can't pay for the elites to go to their school.

Them Baylor briefcases are getting heavier as the years pass.

Probably the same because they can't pay for the elites to go to their school.

Them Baylor briefcases are getting heavier as the years pass.

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

the facilities cant compare to a D1 school, there's very little if any national exposure, and HBCU's usually only have 7 or 8 scholarships to give out for basketball.

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

the facilities cant compare to a D1 school, there's very little if any national exposure, and HBCU's usually only have 7 or 8 scholarships to give out for basketball.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

Discuss

He played at the same Memphis as Rose and Evans.

Back
Top Bottom