Why did the shoe molds change in the first place???

I understand using cheaper materials to maximize profits, but what does that have to do with the SHAPE of the shoe?

Why couldn't Nike keep the same mold/shape, but just use cheaper material? I would actually be ok with that.

This has been discussed numerous times. Its pretty established they changed the mold from high cut basketball shoes in the 80s to more casual lower but still close to originals in the late 90s early 00s.

Along the way mold just get less and less reminiscent of the original. We see that with many sneakers.

I think it had to do with cost cutting, like less material and cheaper material, and contracting the production to the lowest bidder.

i bet cost per square inch including shape makes a difference in profits

i doubt that the cost cutting came from materials, but the subcontractors. the companies that actually make these shoes compete by trying to underbid each other to cop JB contracts. conditional to meeting JB's bare minimum quality standard, they will always go for the cheapest contractors.

i agree with el bro on that part.

i don't buy the material side of it. they probably throw away more in off cuts than they'd come close to saving with mold shape changes.

Last edited:
The molds probably kept changing because Nike kept changing the factories where the shoe where made. For example in 64 when nike first started they made nike's in japan then in 70's and 80's they where made in Taiwan, Korea and 15% where made in N.H. and Maine then south asia, then in the 90's they where made in china, Vietnam and Indonesia and now the majority of jordans are made in china 

Back
Top Bottom