Why do 90% of college quarterbacks suck?

Besides like 5 guys each year, every quarterback in the nation either has the Chad Pennington noodle arm or is Joe Webb Jr. and runs option plays or hands the ball off the whole game. I don't watch college football all that much but when I do this makes the majority of the games unwatchable for me. So whether or not it's the system they have these guys running/the receivers they had in high school allowing them to put up big numbers/their HS coach or parents knowing the right people/their measurements....there's no way in hell big football schools like South Carolina and LSU couldn't find a better quarterback than what they have. The only quarterbacks I've seen this year that are worth a damn are Luck, Barkley, Griffin III and Landry Jones. The rest are pretty much interchangeable.

System. Its hard watching at times. Seems all over the place.

I hate option offenses too. Just do.

Coaches dont prep them to succeed after College... They just want to win at the moment...

The hardest position in all of sports isnt going to be something everyone masters

The sheer difficulty of the position has the most to do with it.

There's also not enough emphasis placed on technique from pop warner through high school.

The point you made about Joe Webb Jr and the systems these quarterbacks are in is very valid.

In high school and college winning trumps player development. There are many high school programs that run the ball 80% of the time. That's not how you develop a throwing quarterback. The amount of time spent throwing the ball during position drills in practice isn't enough anyway but if when you get to team session all your doing is handing the ball off you're even worse off.

If you're a young quarterback and don't have a mentor or coach who can work with you individually year round on throwing I wouldn't bet on you making a big impact with your arm at the elite high school level much less D1 college or the NFL.

considering there are only a handful of great QB's in the NFL, i don't expect a ton of awesome QBs at the college level.

and the quality of QB depends on the system he's in.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

If you're a young quarterback and don't have a mentor or coach who can work with you individually year round on throwing I wouldn't bet on you making a big impact with your arm at the elite high school level much less D1 college or the NFL.

This is so crucial.

Why are there only 3 elite QBs in the NFL...Good QB's are hard to come by.

Obviously it's another position that there's only few real good ones at the professional level.....but 98% of college kickers/punters @!*%!++ BLOW. These dudes more often than not are going to miss atleast one 30 yarder for you a game, or completely shaft a couple punts.

sometimes it the system. if the system calls for running, then the qb is just a game manager. but at the same they dont have playmaking ability due to lack of throwing when game on the line. 
then you have your mobile qbs who throw too many ints because they have the greenlight. not bad throws, but throws they just have to throw (complete or not)

most of all cats have no patience in the pocket overall though. lights too bright. 

Buc Em wrote:
Obviously it's another position that there's only few real good ones at the professional level.....but 98% of college kickers/punters @!*%!++ BLOW. These dudes more often than not are going to miss atleast one 30 yarder for you a game, or completely shaft a couple punts.

In HS most good teams just go for it, In college, its almost easier to get a soccer player and teach him to kick a football, than it is to recruit a kicker. That transition is to me what makes so many kickers bad. Teams don't want to waste a scholarship on a non player in many respects. If I'm a major program, am I taking the 2 star DB with 4.4 speed, or the Kicker who is generally money, but runs a 5.8. Mind you I have 18 scholarship for the year, and this soccer guy is faster, stronger and allows me to get my potential Ed Reed.
Not even just that, but taking a walkon because no soccer player wants to do it, and this guy gets me my potiental stud.
To me these kickers sucking is a lot to do with no HS development, the transition for a soccer guy, and the scholarship pinch these schools face. Truth is that for elite programs the kicker is maybe one game if your team isnt playing up to snuff. A lot of teams just take the risk.

As far as QB's between the spread masking noodle arms, the lack of HS development, and the fact that in many states you still can run the ball to a state title.
look at the elite 11 QB camp. Half the guys are more so athletes, 2 of them generally dont have the arm to ever be considered for the NFL. One or 2 of the elite 11 never catch on or play. And you have to figure one or 2 of the athletes can pan out at QB.
By my math  you have 2 athletes making an impact at QB, and 1-2 guys who function best in the pocket. Account for guys improving and your generally at your 5-7 number that we get every year. Add that to the fact that most of the athletes can win games on that level without improvement as a passer, and your finding your 1-3 QB's that are even resembling an NFL QB. The reason we are seeing so many QB's drafted lately is cause coaches know that if you have a whiff of actual talent as a passer, you can make a couple spot starts, we can run more spread packages if you have that experence. The NFL is almost a spread league at this point, its just not OD with no tight ends and 5 recievers. But a split out tight end even in single back is more of a spread concept than a prostyle concept. Teams have just shifted to more draws, and shotgun running.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Buc Em wrote:

In HS most good teams just go for it, In college, its almost easier to get a soccer player and teach him to kick a football, than it is to recruit a kicker. That transition is to me what makes so many kickers bad. Teams don't want to waste a scholarship on a non player in many respects. If I'm a major program, am I taking the 2 star DB with 4.4 speed, or the Kicker who is generally money, but runs a 5.8. Mind you I have 18 scholarship for the year, and this soccer guy is faster, stronger and allows me to get my potential Ed Reed.
Not even just that, but taking a walkon because no soccer player wants to do it, and this guy gets me my potiental stud.
To me these kickers sucking is a lot to do with no HS development, the transition for a soccer guy, and the scholarship pinch these schools face. Truth is that for elite programs the kicker is maybe one game if your team isnt playing up to snuff. A lot of teams just take the risk.

You lost me several times here, so I hope I'm not misinterpreting what you're trying to say, but assuming I'm not, this is all off. 
1. It's not easier to get a soccer player and convert him into a kicker than it is straight up recruit a kicker. In high school I would generally agree with this but in college no, just no. Yes soccer players have an advantage when it comes to kicking and most top amateur/collegiate level soccer players will have the leg strength and coordination to make the transition relatively easy. So yea it happens, even fairly often, but to say its easier to do this than it is to recruit a high school kicker is just false. Soccer players play soccer, and for the most part are interested in just that, not kicking field goals. If what you're saying is true, then there would simply be more soccer players than there are actual ex high school kickers at the position in college (a lot of kickers have some kind of soccer background but that doesn't make them soccer players). I don't believe that's the case, if I'm wrong someone let me know.   

2. Your second sentence is where I lose you, are you saying that college kickers are bad because most of them are converted soccer players? I hope not.

3. You're right, teams often don't want to waste a scholly on a kicker. That's why most three and four star kickers are walk ons and very few five star kickers even get scholarships. It's easier to find a very good high school kicker who's willing to pay money just to play college football for your program than it is to find a soccer player who's willing to make the transition. A soccer player who may or may not develop into a good kicker. 

Alabama may want to devote a scolly to a kicker. Some kid in D2/3 hit a 62 yard field goal and punt in the same game. These guys are football players too.

Stopped reading after "I don't watch college all that much"

It's really more complicated than most think. Funny someone posted that winning trumps development at the college level. Winning trumps everything at ANY level.

College is a little less "cookie cutter", it's why you see different systems. Frankly, good QB's don't grow on trees and great QB's are even more rare. Finding 32 good QB's to play on Sunday is hard, try filling over 100+ that suit up on Saturdays, impossible.

You guys really think major college football teams are plucking kickers and punters from soccer/intramural squads...
laugh.gif

What's the quarterback situation in college football going to look like after Luck, Barkley, Griffin III and Landry Jones leave this year? 2013 might end up being the worst draft ever for quarterbacks.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

What's the quarterback situation in college football going to look like after Luck, Barkley, Griffin III and Landry Jones leave this year? 2013 might end up being the worst draft ever for quarterbacks.
tyler_bray_tennessee_qb.jpg

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Besides like 5 guys each year, every quarterback in the nation either has the Chad Pennington noodle arm or is Joe Webb Jr. and runs option plays or hands the ball off the whole game. I don't watch college football all that much but when I do this makes the majority of the games unwatchable for me. So whether or not it's the system they have these guys running/the receivers they had in high school allowing them to put up big numbers/their HS coach or parents knowing the right people/their measurements....there's no way in hell big football schools like South Carolina and LSU couldn't find a better quarterback than what they have. The only quarterbacks I've seen this year that are worth a damn are Luck, Barkley, Griffin III and Landry Jones. The rest are pretty much interchangeable.

You forgot Russell Wilson.  Defintiely 1st or 2nd rounder in the next draft.

Russel Wilson is my dude, but nah he's a 3rd rounder. If he doesn't go play baseball instead.

I think its pretty evident that you don't watch a lot of college football, because there are plenty of good quarterbacks out there. Sometimes their teams can bring down their play, and other times they aren't in the right system to maximize their abilities, but there has never been a lack of talent at the position.

I think what you are really asking is why do only a handful make it to the NFL, and the answer to that is because there are only 32 teams and it takes a lot to get a team to invest in you even as a backup. Most teams build around a quarterback over several years, if the starter goes down, they can't just throw anybody in there with games on the line, therefore qb's are not just selected based on athletic ability, but mental capacity and leadership skills need to be demonstrated to get to that next level.

You forgot:

Ryan Tannehill
Kirk Cousins
Russel Wilson
Nick Foles
Denard Robinson(needs to become a better decision maker)
Brandon Weeden
Tahj Boyd
Kellen Moore
Collin Klein

There are other really good QBs out there too, just because ESPN only talks about Luck, Barkley, and Jones doesn't mean those are the only good QBs.

If I were a drafting a QB, I'd seriously consider taking Moore or Weeden once Luck is off the board.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Stopped reading after "I don't watch college all that much"

It's really more complicated than most think. Funny someone posted that winning trumps development at the college level. Winning trumps everything at ANY level.

College is a little less "cookie cutter", it's why you see different systems. Frankly, good QB's don't grow on trees and great QB's are even more rare. Finding 32 good QB's to play on Sunday is hard, try filling over 100+ that suit up on Saturdays, impossible.

You guys really think major college football teams are plucking kickers and punters from soccer/intramural squads...
laugh.gif
Tennessee's kicker in their win over MTSU this weekend was definitely chillin on his couch in the frat house an hour before the game when they called him & asked him to kick since all their actual kickers were hurt

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo
Tennessee's kicker in their win over MTSU this weekend was definitely chillin on his couch in the frat house an hour before the game when they called him & asked him to kick since all their actual kickers were hurt
Dude, that's rare.  Teams usually dedicate 1 or 2 scholarships for actual kickers, punters and long snappers.

Teams usually have a scholarship kicker and a couple of walk-ons.  Now if they all get hurt, that is just bad luck, and that is when you have to find a kicker asap so you spread word around campus about try outs (It happens).

What dudes are saying in here is that every school does this, when it is done in rare and dire occasions.

If I were a drafting a QB, I'd seriously consider taking Moore or Weeden once Luck is off the board.
Foles for me. And I'm sure it's Landry for others, and Barkley for even more people. The point is, There actually are plenty of NFL caliber talents in this draft.

Hell, if you want good to great QB play...Look no further than the Pac-12:

Luck
Barkley
Foles
Osweiler
Price

and another up and comer, although hurt right now is Tuel.

I was somewhat thinking about this watching some of the quarterbacks that play for big sec schools, some of those quarterbacks suck and given how big football is down south you'd think better players in that position would be desired.

Bias aside but as said above the Pac has some talent at QB.

Back
Top Bottom