Why do certain members get butthurt over retro J's "done wrong"?

I would also agree that some people overdue it, maybe because they just like to complain ... but my questions is - why AREN'T more people mad? It's been talked about for years. People talmbout boycotting and stuff, while others will still line up for every single release. Just sayin'.

Unfortunately, JB doesn't really care what anyone thinks. They are a billion dollar corporation. All they care about is making money. That being said, with all the past releases, they've found that JB can do no wrong. JB releases half assed retro's of classic OG colorways and what happened? They sold out. People say that no one could package 2 shoes together and buy them for $310. No one would buy them right? Nope. They package one grail and one crap shoe and people still buying for $310. They raise the price of the XI's by $50 just because they want to, and what happens? They sell out and are the biggest release in years. So yeah, JB has proven that they can do whatever they want and get away with it.

In one light, and I've heard this excuse before, is that JB is rewarding the OG collectors that still have their originals so the market wouldn't be flooded with reproductions in better quality of the shoes that they have been taking the time and effort to keep in immaculate condition. I understand this, but to an extent. These are frikkin shoes people. Collector's Items and shoes. But shoes nonetheless. They are meant to degrade and break down. So for the very small minority that have been able to keep their OG shoes, the rest have to suffer? Meh...

Now to the OP's question. The reason people get so pissed when seeing Half-assed garbage re-creations of the OG shoes is just that. They gut a shoe that has soul and meaning and turn it into crap. I was lucky enough to watch MJ's career growing up. The shoes that MJ wore have just as much significance as anything else. It was our way of having a part of the magic. That being said, why would we not get hurt over bad retro's and hack jobs of the classic shoes we've grown to love? It sucks that we can't get exact retros of the shoes we've grown up with...

I've said it a million times but JB, keep it OG. No need for all these gimmicks and half assed wannabe retros. If you can't understand that, then you shouldn't be collecting J's. Just follow the crowd you lemmings and hypebeasts.

People have a vested interest in these shoes, and have over time developed a rapport with the OG classics as kids...that's where it starts...

When people grow up, wearing a certain brand of shoes, and idolizing a certain athlete, such as Jordan, OG quality becomes the expectation for all shoes in the Jordan lineup..retro's included.

Well the bottom line is this, the only ear that JB has to the consumer that really matters is the profit line. If people buy them, they are being told that what they are doing is right. Perception doesn't often equal reality. We can find fault as much as we like, but the collective number of people who are willing to voice their opinions in the only way that matters (not purchasing) is not enough to stop the trend that JB is going down. Personally, I dont mind the Varsity Red 6's because I havent ever owned a pair of them, but I can see how people who had the opportunity and prosperity to get the original infareds would be offended. I am reminded of a musician who is being warned by their closest supporters that they need to change their direction before they self destruct... be it drugs, getting away from the essence of what made them popular, etc. Usually, that musician who continues to ride the fan-dom that helps them lose focus on what was originally the quest ultimately find themselves alone. It is my sincerest hope that those who are in charge of the products being produced by JB understand that they can only ride Jordan's presence for so long... At some point the brand will have to be sustained on something not retro'd. Just my thoughts.
Tate

all i know is that i love shoes! if i see a pair that looks awesome or reminds me of being a kid then i cop, if i dont like them then i dont cop. yeah its kind of anoying coming in here and hearing people cry about quality and placement errors and etc but its a free country and an awesome site so take it as a peek into the thughts of another sneakerhead and thats all. i like the opinions but cop what i want to at the end of the day.

The reason why people complain is simple, and that because jb is a hypebeast now. They release the colors we want, but not the quality we have come to expect just bc they know people will buy it. There is no reason the sample anniversary xi's have a good shape, but when the production model is made it has the wack cdp shape. I mean is it that hard to keep that decent shape? No. The varsity red vi's that just came out are not a bad shoe, but when people look at the kids version and sees it has durabuck material, looking at the suede on the mens version is an eyesore. I mean is it really that hard to be consistent at making good shoes. MJ is regarded as the best player in NBA history, and who expects horrible quality from a shoe endorsed by a player the that caliber?????

I can see both sides of the complaints. My biggest grief is that you buy a pair of Retro's these days and god forbid you try to run in them or do anything some what athletic. They instantly look like they have been worn for multiple baskeball games. They are creased terribly and falling apart.

But if your buying the shoes for leisure only. Example: I only wear my Grape V's on nice days and when i know im not doing anything too strenuous because i can't stand to see them dirty or creased...(that bad). But its sad that you buy SNEAKERS that are made for activity and have to do this at all.

As far as material choice iv learned to take it or leave it. If they make new 6s with suede and not durabuck then i just don't buy it. there is not too much i can do about that. Shape matters to me when it comes to some things. Some 4s have been noticably different (banana shapped, lower cut, longer tounge) and if it matters to me that much i just dont' buy. But when jordan played in the shoes i never noticed those small details i just remembered what he did in them.

Originally Posted by AirUpHere23

People have a vested interest in these shoes, and have over time developed a rapport with the OG classics as kids...that's where it starts...

When people grow up, wearing a certain brand of shoes, and idolizing a certain athlete, such as Jordan, OG quality becomes the expectation for all shoes in the Jordan lineup..retro's included.
great point i think it has a lot to do with a yearning for the past ....

Some of you act like you wore the shoe in Game 6 of the '91 playoffs. It's not that serious.

Lol.  Duuuuude... all of the Js ive copped over the past few years are lower quality than the originals and cost more and thats kinda wak.  I still have most of my OG Js and could still ball in em.  I still ball in my OG XI bredz occasionally.  I remember watching the Man play and wanting what was on his feet or the closest thing i could get.  Having them on when i was playing or shooting by myself when it was late and looking at the kix and acting like i was MJ... 5 seconds left... Jordans got the ball just outside the 3 point arch... 4 seconds Wilkins guarding Jordan... tongue out... Jordan with the dribble...the NY fans are on their feet... the drive... Jordan pulls up...shoots... ... ...  Lol.  So, dont hate the nostalgia... try to think how it was to wake up on saturday and watch the man work.  Honestly i feel bad so many young bucks stand in line and trample their Mom for Jays that couldnt hold upto  a jv season of girls middle school ball... back in the day wheni was young im not a kid anymore... i wore mine everyday... all day... school, practice, games, chores, all that and they still held up.  Lately ive been buying 2 pair cuz they get a worn look so fast.  Its kind of a bummer.  I wish that this generation had the chance to get the same wear and tear outta yall kix that we did.

Some collectors care about the legacy that Air Jordans used to stand for.  There's nothing wrong with making retro+ cw's, but it's like they try to deny that those years ever existed sometimes. 

Back
Top Bottom