Why do jobs do credit checks?

If you have bad credit they feel like someone can influence you with a bribe...like the TSA you will let someone carry something illegal if they offer you cash. Does not make sense because good credit or not money can motivate anyone

Here's an article from CBS's HR contributor with statistics about credit checks and hiring.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505125_...-pre-employment-credit-checks/?tag=bnetdomain

Most employers now aren't considering medical debt or foreclosure due to the economy.

"A 2010 survey by the Society of Human Resource Management showed that 13 percent of the employers surveyed conduct credit checks on all job candidates while 47 percent do so for certain jobs. Of those employers, only 1 percent consider medical debt and 11 percent consider home foreclosure."

Originally Posted by Lou Baton

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

Responsibility / priorities.
This.  And also some jobs want to see if you have a lot of debt.  If you do they feel you might be tempted to steal/embezzle.

this

Good credit tends to show more responsibility.
You guys can hate all you want, but if you don't have bad credit you have nothing to worry about.

If your job will involve handling company money, (via travel expenses and/ or budgets) then YES a credit check is highly revelant.

New law in CA in 2012 that prevents employers from doing a credit check. Only certain jobs are exempt from this

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by MonStar1

I'd like to hear from someone in management or human resources.

This is just a ploy to keep certain people down.  How can you change your situation if you can't get hired to work a decent job?

Think about this...how many people are sitting on money and still don't pay their bills?  Not many. So its not about people being "lazy slobs" that can't handle the job.
Came in here to say this. Especially in the state the economy's in, credit should be the last thing on an employer's mind.  It's a never ending cycle.
Yea, your employer does a credit check because they want poor people to stay poor; that's it. Shut up with that.
laugh.gif

Depending on the job they want to make sure you can handle your responsibilities and make good decisions. Somebody with an abysmal credit score either had extenuating circumstances or isn't responsible with their money and that might be a red flag for the employer. Sometimes things like that are just a formality as well. 

Same deal with background checks. I am doing contract work for a firm right now and all I'm doing is reviewing applications for healthcare grants from the government, but I had to get a pretty stringent background check with an interview and the whole 9 yards. 
There it is, two different situations but they see the score and think negative. They won't call em in for an interview to ask why they're credit score is shot, it'll just be on to the next one. 

Originally Posted by megatron

word you aint gonna throw down bars now? troll

he doesnt want to add a rhyme because it takes too much time to edit
since he wants to keep talking about his credit

the gimmick of rapping in his replies was a way of being one of the trolls

he wasnt consistent with it since it didnt bring the lols

megatron wrote:
word you aint gonna throw down bars now? troll

C'mon now son you like the pot callin' the kettle
Poppin' off at the mouth I suggest you settle
like KSteezy but thats a lowblow, ain't tryna mettle
Lame yous a Eastside boy, get on my level
I rhyme for fun but you offended cuz you pro troll
You ugly weird _'s couldn't get laid at the pro bowl
Chicks givin' you the EZ pass like no tolls
At club lurking in the back of all the pho-tos
How you got xbox and ps3 but no game
chicks shut you down at the line....no gain
You soft than ******* boy, no chainz
I'm 100 in the bodega...I don't change

-MonStar

Most people in here saying people with debt are more likely to steal from their jobs. 
laugh.gif
I think they'd be less likely because they want to keep the job in order to get themselves out of the hole. 

C'mon now son you like the pot callin' the kettle
Poppin' off at the mouth I suggest you settle
like KSteezy but thats a lowblow, ain't tryna mettle
Lame yous a Eastside boy, get on my level
I rhyme for fun but you offended cuz you pro troll
You ugly weird _'s couldn't get laid at the pro bowl
Chicks givin' you the EZ pass like no tolls
At club lurking in the back of all the pho-tos
How you got xbox and ps3 but no game
chicks shut you down at the line....no gain
You soft than ******* boy, no chainz
I'm 100 in the bodega...I don't change

-MonStar

Fire
pimp.gif

OP does have a point. There's certainly a classist element to this policy. ...It's the same with drug testing. You are subject to greater invasions of your personal privacy - fourth amendment type stuff - when you apply for a job at Staples than you are when you apply for a six figure salaried job.

Sure, you can justify reasons why an employer might be able to gain valuable information about you that may extrapolate to what kind of worker you are by running a credit check, but so what?... That doesn't make it a reasonable concession for a prospective employer to ask. There are lots of things an employer could want a potential employee to submit to that they aren't allowed to ask. They might want to know if you have kids, if you're married, if you have multiple kids by multiple partners - they may get a feel for how "responsible" you are from these lines of inquiry. But, they can't ask those questions because it's illegal to do so. So, the fact that a line of inquiry does have a practical application doesn't make it reasonable. Asking employees to submit to credit check currently isn't considered out of bounds, but it's certainly a legitimate question to ask whether it should be. And, believe me, if the practice extended widely into the major corporate world of execs, not only would the practice not exist, but you'd be surprised at how many of the folks currently in such jobs would fare poorly on such an inquiry.

...Dudes talking about how corporate entities have the right to be self-righteous about the handling of finances when getting slapped with accounting violations is commonplace for all these companies, not to mention the slights of hand they don't get caught pulling, outright criminal behavior, tax evasion, oh yeah, and the crippling of a global economy. Submitting to a credit check to work for an investment firm would be like having to take a drug test to write for High Times.

But, none of that is even the point. The point is these requirements are only applied to certain kinds of jobs - jobs where the applicants are often young, minorities, not college-educated, and poor. It's okay to have bad credit if you're a rich white guy with an MBA. In fact, you can trade credit market derivatives all day long. But, if you have no socioeconomic capital, your life must be perfect before you're allowed to work at a crappy chain retailer for slightly above minimum wage.

If you have bad credit or money problems it's generally an indicator of you trying to live outside of your means and generally shows that you're more likely to make impulsive decisions that you think you can "work out later."

In the same way that you're trying to cover your behind, they're trying to cover theirs. In a time when everybody is pointing fingers at corporations taking too big of risks and being irresponsible don't you find it ironic to point out them taking extra precautions to make sure they don't waste their time and money hiring a potential deadbeat?

Just food for thought.

That being said, if you're truly the most qualified for the job then your credit score won't be a dealbreaker.
In most corporate job opportunities, chances are that there's someone else with similar/identical/better credentials than you with good credit, so when you lay the facts out there on the table, why wouldn't you pick the person with good credit?

And you probably have that one friend that is ALWAYS having money drama that you hate being around/going out with because it's always one of those "Man, I can't afford it. Life sucks. I'm poor. Blah blah blah." situations.
No one wants to be around that drama.

No, the world is NOT out to get you. Where do people get off thinking that the entire world/corporations is out to get them?
On a website named NIKEtalk, no less.

Originally Posted by ThaT Dude173

I'd like to hear from someone in management or human resources.

This is just a ploy to keep certain people down.  How can you change your situation if you can't get hired to work a decent job?

Think about this...how many people are sitting on money and still don't pay their bills?  Not many. So its not about people being "lazy slobs" that can't handle the job.
Came in here to say this. Especially in the state the economy's in, credit should be the last thing on an employer's mind.  It's a never ending cycle.

thread/

Originally Posted by JordanFan04

Originally Posted by ThaT Dude173

thread/

It's like people forget that these companies work in the same economy and think the company should just hand out jobs instead of taking every precaution to protect themselves.
People are getting let go of as it is, but it makes sense to skip a credit check that takes 5 minutes because they're "desperate" to hire someone?

Back
Top Bottom