why do kids swear up and down DMX wasn't hotter then jay-z?

championhood

Banned
jay-z is lucky DMX ended himself, cuz he sure wasn't gonna do it.
grin.gif

cause they dont know nothin
they grew up sining country grammar, tipsy and all that
damien ftw

Hotter =/= better...

So, DMX was hotter than Jay for that span of Flesh of my flesh, RR Vol. 1 and Its Dark and hell is hot...

Other than that....
smh.gif

I'll concede that DMX at his peak was the "hotter" rapper at THAT specific time, but never was he the better rapper. DMX's rise was as sharpas his fall. Jay's has been a steady climb that has only recently started to falter.

Hell Is Hot came out in 97 correct? Vol. 2 came out in 98 correct? And the X dropped Flesh of my Flesh in 98 too.

It's obviously which album was more popular and got the most buzz...so at what point was he "hotter" than Jay? 1997?

Originally Posted by RavageBX

I'll concede that DMX at his peak was the "hotter" rapper at THAT specific time, but never was he the better rapper. DMX's rise was as sharp as his fall. Jay's has been a steady climb that has only recently started to falter.

/thread

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

Hell Is Hot came out in 97 correct? Vol. 2 came out in 98 correct? And the X dropped Flesh of my Flesh in 98 too.

It's obviously which album was more popular and got the most buzz...so at what point was he "hotter" than Jay? 1997?

its hot and hell is hot and flesh of my flesh both dropped da same year, 1997...jigga ain't come out wit vol.2 till 1998....

Corrected....

But my point was that Vol.2 was still more popular than both albums. Can I Get A and Hard Knock Life were bigger than any single from either of those X albums.

its hot and hell is hot and flesh of my flesh both dropped da same year, 1997...jigga ain't come out wit vol.2 till 1998....
Actually all 3 of those records dropped the same year....1998.

And yeah he was hotter, but not better.

DMX was that dude back then. Everybody in Cali was on DMX, he was like the favorite rapper since Pac. I love Jay, but no one was checking for him back then,his movement came later.

/\ Double corrected then... Even still...and DMX was my favorite rapper at the time...those two albums did not get as much pub on the national scale than Vol.2. That's the album that pushed Jay into that elite level artist
DMX was that dude back then. Everybody in Cali was on DMX, he was like the favorite rapper since Pac. I love Jay, but no one was checking for him back then, his movement came later.
Vol. 2 sold 5 Million in the US and 8 million worldwide...obviously somebody was "checking for him"

^^^ no, both came of X's albums came out in 98. i remember that distinctly.

he was definitely the biggest rapper at the time, but it was short lived, and like others have said hottest is obviously not equal to the best.

Corrected....

But my point was that Vol.2 was still more popular than both albums. Can I Get A and Hard Knock Life were bigger than any single from either of those X albums.

its dark >> vol. 2 >> flesh

in quality and popularity

can i get a wasn't a bigger record then ruff ryder's anthem...not even close.

define bigger - because can i get a was recognized everywhere and RR anthem was more of the hood's anthem

Remember Can I was on the rush hour soundtrack and gettin crazy Mtv spins

Can i was popular and bigger than RR anthem, across the world with different age groups and races

man dont nobody like dmx now so his music back then dont even matter... no grown man barkin on tracks is gonna out do jay z... sorry...

Originally Posted by ChampionHood

Corrected....

its dark >> vol. 2 >> flesh

in quality and popularity

can i get a wasn't a bigger record then ruff ryder's anthem...not even close.

laugh.gif
Maybe in your neighborhood...
Can I was actually on theBillboard charts...RRA wasn't. RRA wasn't even the most popular single off of that album.

can I get a might not be bigger than ruff ryders anthem BUT Hard Knock Life is def a bigger track.

Hard Knock Life was big because of Annie, as big as you may have thought "Can I Get A" was, it was only white people that liked that song.

DMX killed soundscans, he's in the record books . . . In 1998 from June to around Christmas time he owned hip hop. His third album even sold like 700Kfirst week out, he had 5 (or 4) straight albums go to #1. I will say he isn't as smart as Jay, hasn't been as consistant as Jay, but there's no wayyou could have lived through 1998 and think Jay Z was EVER Bigger than X . . . Def Scam started that Sept. When Vol. 2 dropped, it was around the same week orso that Lauryn Hill dropped AND Aquemini dropped.

Before Back Stage at the Hard Knock Life Tour dropped there was the Ruff Ryders/Cash Money tour . . . Juve pushed 4 mill, was "Ha" hotter than"Ruff Ryders Anthem"??

Also even Eve pushed like 2 mill, who on ROC pushed a mill before Kanye?? They wasn't even throwin the Roc back then. Jay got HUGE in 2000 with Dynasty andprolly Blueprint droppin the week of 9/11 and still almost doin 500K (still amazes me
eek.gif
pimp.gif
) but then Nas returned for the crown too . . . 50 came in 03.

Hova is better . . . But at their best they're both top 10, Jays prolly top 5, and X fell off harder then LL.

Originally Posted by petozham

DMX was that dude back then. Everybody in Cali was on DMX, he was like the favorite rapper since Pac. I love Jay, but no one was checking for him back then, his movement came later.

^ YEP.. Power 106 & 92.3 The Beat loved them some DMX... Jay didn't really get love

"Ruff Ryders Anthem" was a BIGGER track than "Can I Get A" but like true said "Hard Knock Life" was bigger thanboth.

Even Jay said it in an interview that period when X came out he was the hottest MC out for a good moment even bigger than him, which is why hecame up with "DMX'd the game" w/ reference to those certain artists that just took over a certain moment or time period.

I thought the "DMXed" the game saying was from "bringing it back to the streets, and takin over to a certain degree" . . . He alsodescribed 50 Cent that way back in 03

Also even Eve pushed like 2 mill, who on ROC pushed a mill before Kanye?? They wasn't even throwin the Roc back then. Jay got HUGE in 2000
Memphis Bleek- The Understanding.

Back
Top Bottom