Why do people say they are HUMBLED when being HONORED/PRAISED in some fashion?

It is a stupid thing that means the opposite of how it is used.
humble
[huhm-buhl, uhm-]   Origin
hum·ble
   [huhm-buhl, uhm-] Show IPA adjective, -bler, -blest, verb, -bled, -bling.
adjective
not proud or arrogant; modest: to be humble although successful.
having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience, etc.: In the presence of so many world-famous writers I felt very humble.
low in rank, importance, status, quality, etc.; lowly: of humble origin; a humble home.
courteously respectful: In my humble opinion you are wrong.
low in height, level, etc.; small in size: a humble member of the galaxy.
verb (used with object)
to lower in condition, importance, or dignity; abase.

to destroy the independence, power, or will of.
to make meek: to humble one's heart.

People always get on stage and say they are humbled to be recieving this honor, but honestly, you aren't. You are the opposite of humbled right now. You are GASSED, hyped, feeling yourself, aggrandized. Now who is humbled, is everyone else who was up for the honor but did not win. Logically, they thought they may have been the best Miss _______ candidate, but alas they are not. The winner: feeling myself, the other ______ on stage: humbled i.e maybe I'm really not all that.

That is being humbled. We use the expression "humble pie," in such a context so being humbled can NOT be the opposite.

To humble yourself before someone, again, is to subordinate yourself in stature or importance i.e humble yourself before God, or "For all who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted," or to be submissive.

Synonyms:
apprehensive, backward, bashful, biddable, blushing, content, courteous, deferential, demure, diffident, docile, fearful, gentle, hesitant, lowly, manageable, mild, modest, obliging, obsequious, ordinary, polite, quiet, reserved, respectful, retiring, reverential, sedate, self-conscious, self-effacing, servile, sheepish, shy, simple, soft-spoken, standoffish, submissive, subservient, supplicatory, tentative, timid, timorous, tractable, unambitious, unobtrusive, unostentatious, unpretentious, withdrawn

Antonyms: assertive, boasting, brave, conceited, egotistical, insolent, pretentious, proud, showy

I also dont get when people say "blessed and highly favored" in Christian terms. I mean... Why would God favor that person highly over any other? Or are they saying that they're favored highly, just like anyone else? I dont understand it.

tim-tebow-miracle-win-over-jets-mile-high-denver-broncos-praying.jpg

It's cliche now, but I think the first mentions of it in speeches were sincere and now those that are truly humbled are few and far between.

Back
Top Bottom