Why do so many rappers take to Italian gangsters?

The Italian mob wanted nothing to do with moulinyan's and azupep's but they worship them
laugh.gif
exactly

I always relate back to that lyric from Trugoy

See them Cubans don't care what y'all ****** do
Colombians ain't never ran with your crew
Why you acting all spicy and sheisty
The only Italians you knew was Icees, ****** price me

But like other folks have said, it's the fascination from movies and stories about mob figures. Money, power, drugs, women, they all pique the interests of cats.

dawg...you think these dudes care about anything educational?

nah. these rappers hear the names...know they committed crimes/hustled.

figure they know something other urban youth don't know, therefore they

take on these personas to sound cool/seem like they're in the know about how to REALLY hustle/commit crimes. *shrugs*

The thing is tho Jewish Gangsters actually profited more than Italian Gangsters off the Volstead Act and were the biggest bootleggers of that era.

The thing is tho Jewish Gangsters actually profited more than Italian Gangsters off the Volstead Act and were the biggest bootleggers of that era.
Not trying to be a d*** but what does this have to do with anything?

And have no true background knowledge of the men, or the mafia themselves. These Italian mob bosses didn't have the best interest of the African American community in mind. They didn't **** with black folks.

That's what gets me.

What do you think the attraction is? Is it just the overall swag of the italian gangsters? Is it cuz they are closer to black than all the other groups? similar demeanor? What do yall think? cuz the irony in it all is that Italians for the most part don't really like black folks

I can go on forever about this subject, but I'll just put it like this.

They have no sense of identity.

We had none when we got off the slave boats and we still don't have any.
That's why a bunch of fools whom never even met an italian gangster praise them so much.

Ask any black person, either regular or a street thug who was raised in the time of the Gambino, Genovese, Colombo, Bonano or Luchesse, would they even attempt to step foot in Bensonhurst, Bath Beach, parts of Staten Island Ozone Park (in it's hayday) Howard Beach in the 70's 80's and parts of the 90's.

They can tell you nobody there would be praising these rappers, but they would be trying to hang them.

I guess it's because you hardly see gangster movies with those other races, ethnicity, religion involved it's mostly Italian Mob movies or movies about the come up from the bottom i.e. Scarface.
Scarface was supposed to be Cuban even though he was played by an Italian :lol:

It's just funny to me, all these gotti, capone's and luciano's rappers put in their stage names but Italians weren't the only gangsters out there. You had Irish, Polish, Jewish gangsters out there that was puttin in just as much work, but you hardly ever see rappers naming themselves after Arnold Rothstein, Owney Madden, Dean O'banion, Dutch Schultz etc.

What do you think the attraction is? Is it just the overall swag of the italian gangsters? Is it cuz they are closer to black than all the other groups? similar demeanor? What do yall think? cuz the irony in it all is that Italians for the most part don't really like black folks
Completely missed this 
laugh.gif

mean.gif

It is interesting. They do look up to them in a certain sense, but acknowledge that John Gotti was a snitch. So it's like yeahhhh, but not really.

rappers like anti heroes simple.... alot of da REAL old school rappers came from crime so to them they can admire and relate to that kind

of hustle and rise to power...

its only now that these studio rappers become good just rapping from their computers and making up fables of drug lore.....

I think it has more to do with the films and television.

If they weren't glorified as much rappers wouldn't care.

This is a great article on this topic. It discusses how Italian mob culture, rap, and authenticity relate by analyzing the music video for Death of Autotune. it's really insightful.

Ok, calling someone less authentic than you is a standard combat maneuver. Nothing new there.

So if Jay-Z wants to depict his authenticity, to show how and raw, honest, legitimate he is in comparison to the other "******" he would do this by placing himself in authentic, legitimate, true to his roots situations and settings.
Here's where it got interesting.

Based on the video, Jay-Z is, deep down, a guy who dines alone in Italian restaurants.

View media item 611539

who pays his respects to the chef-- or the other way around--

View media item 611540
etc, for more pics see any episode of The Sopranos.

My first reaction was that maybe Jay-Z had had a stroke. Is he aware that he is not actually Italian?

Check out the full piece here: http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2009/09/jay-z_gives_ten_reasons_why_po.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom