Why does Amtrak suck?

For a developed country the US definitely has one hell of crappy rail system. Traveling between Chicago and Lafayette, IN takes about 2 hours by car but bytrain it takes about 4 hours! Not to mention that the trains are old as hell and runs just once each day. Perhaps I was just spoiled by the awesome trains whenI lived in Switzerland but damn, the difference is ridiculous. At this day and age, passengers shouldn't have to carry their baggage up some narrow steps.

Here's an example of the trains I used to take to school back in Switzerland:

800px-20080316S58a_BLS_NINA_322.jpg

The doors are in level with the platform and you can walk through cars without opening doors (it's like a giant tram). Oh and it's fairly quiet too.Amtrak really should take notes from European public transport systems.

Amtrak haters, feel free to vent.

in order to upgrade like the euro systems, they'd probably have to charge more than flights.

could be done if you didn't give one burning company $20B and it was spent in literally about a month and they still went out of business

/rant
nerd.gif
grin.gif

because the united states is huge. this isnt europe. we use airplanes when we are trying to go long distances. if you are trying to go a few hours away, amtrakis not that bad. if you are going somewhere thats far, no train system would be as efficient as flying anyway.

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Not many people use trains as they do other places.
True but it really would be nice if they could promote and improve public transportation in this country. I'm no environmentalist but damndoes it piss be off seeing just one person in pickup trucks and SUVs. Less cars on the road would be mean less traffic and pollution. I'm aware that manyAmericans love the convenience of being able to go wherever they want, whenever they want by driving their own vehicle but if money could be spent on publictransportation rather meaningless wars (let's try not to stray away from the topic) and other horrible expenses, the US would be a much better place tolive in.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

because the united states is huge. this isnt europe. we use airplanes when we are trying to go long distances. if you are trying to go a few hours away, amtrak is not that bad. if you are going somewhere thats far, no train system would be as efficient as flying anyway.
Believe me, if the government could just put some effort into the railway system, transporting people and products would be a lot faster and moreefficient than they are right now by rail.

Not many people use trains as they do other places.

And this is the reason why! People didnt just stop using them for fun, they stopped because they suck! I read an article about how much of a joke the railsystem is in the U.S. and how there is a group of riders who play on the novelty of the horrible service because they cant expect anything else. Is this thebest we can do!?

I mean seriously, its a money issue. Cars will be exploited in this country until the roads are so run into the ground we cant drive anymore. Then maybe, afterwe have no more oil or electricity, the US may get cracking on a solid rail system. CA is just getting started on a high speed rail system LOL! Ridiculous.

Don't even get me started on the Chicago loop trains. We'd probably have flying cars before the whole system is improved and upgraded. As nice as it isto see the 'classic' look, the whole elevated trains idea just makes it really difficult to upgrade all the lines.

its not a money issue. its an efficiency issue, what is so hard to see about that? yeah CA is going to build a high speed rail from LA to SF. and guess what itwill probably be just as expensive as hopping on a 49 dollar flight except it will take over twice as long. whats the point?

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

its not a money issue. its an efficiency issue, what is so hard to see about that? yeah CA is going to build a high speed rail from LA to SF. and guess what it will probably be just as expensive as hopping on a 49 dollar flight except it will take over twice as long. whats the point?

true, your better off getting a Southwest flight.

The last time I rode Amtrak, the bathroom's toilet looked like mount everest by the time I reached my destination. above the rim.

i didn't really have a problem taking the amtrak from LA to santa barbara
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom