Why does it seem like there is more Nat'l pride with US Soccer than US Basketball?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by bijald0331

^Oh no! I didn't see race coming into this debate!

Typical NT. I expect better arguments out of you DC.
Better arguments as if that point isn't a factor? Why people continue to dismiss race as an invalid argument is beyond me. But if you want to write it off as a weak argument, be my guest man.

But it can't be ignored.

Basketball is a sport of colored people.
Soccer is not.

I went there.
laugh.gif

Interesting proffer..

Black soccer players are always dealing with racism, even Gooch so its foolish to just throw it out the window

hill talked about race after the gold http://sports.espn.go.com...2/story?page=hill/080822

however, us soccer succeeding is just a bigger deal than usa basketball winning gold because WC > everything right now

Better arguments as if that point isn't a factor? Why people continue to dismiss race as an invalid argument is beyond me. But if you want to write it off as a weak argument, be my guest man.

But it can't be ignored.

Soccer is not.

I went there.
laugh.gif

Interesting proffer..

Black soccer players are always dealing with racism, even Gooch so its foolish to just throw it out the window

hill talked about race after the gold http://sports.espn.go.com...2/story?page=hill/080822

however, us soccer succeeding is just a bigger deal than usa basketball winning gold because WC > everything right now

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Look at WHO is representing the US in basketball and look at WHO is representing the US in futbol. Some folks aren't cool with "us" representing them. 
Seriously? You honesly believe this? I feel sorry for you.
Yes feel sorry for me believing people tend to watch sports more closely if they are better represented within. What a stupid idea.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Look at WHO is representing the US in basketball and look at WHO is representing the US in futbol. Some folks aren't cool with "us" representing them. 
Seriously? You honesly believe this? I feel sorry for you.
Yes feel sorry for me believing people tend to watch sports more closely if they are better represented within. What a stupid idea.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

I see people on Twitter going ape %$$% for something like "South Korea vs. Bolivia" or some %$$%...and they don't know a damn thing about soccer.
But Bolivia didn't make the WC.

laugh.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Im Not You

I see people on Twitter going ape %$$% for something like "South Korea vs. Bolivia" or some %$$%...and they don't know a damn thing about soccer.
But Bolivia didn't make the WC.

laugh.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted by WstCoastGotti

Originally Posted by calibeebee

Too many black people on the U.S. basketball team.

No.

That's so stupid to say.

I'm not american and my team is not in the World Cup cuz they suck but i chosed to root for US in this World Cup and i'm happy for them. Argentina vs USA in the finals book it.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by WstCoastGotti

Originally Posted by calibeebee

Too many black people on the U.S. basketball team.

No.

That's so stupid to say.

I'm not american and my team is not in the World Cup cuz they suck but i chosed to root for US in this World Cup and i'm happy for them. Argentina vs USA in the finals book it.
pimp.gif

But it can't be ignored.

Soccer is not.

I went there.
You're kidding, right?

But it can't be ignored.

Soccer is not.

I went there.
You're kidding, right?

Soccer is not.

I went there.

but soccer was considered the black mans sport in africa.

you lose.

stop bringing these sort of discussions into the sports thread.

Soccer is not.

I went there.

but soccer was considered the black mans sport in africa.

you lose.

stop bringing these sort of discussions into the sports thread.

Let me explain myself because maybe I wasn't clear. Nothing beside the Olyimpics can compete with the World Cup on a National Scale. So I don't think if there was more diversity in basketball that basketball would be able to compete.

To clear up what I was saying. I think basketball being a majority black sport does in fact hurt it's viewership because people are more likely to watch a sport if they are properly represented. Notice how Tiger Woods has increased the amount of black interest in golf over the past 15 years. Notice how Venus/Serena has increased the popularity amongst blacks when it comes to tennis viewership. Go read StormFront and ChimpOut about how they feel about basketball. You can say those sites are extreme but those sites represent how many non-blacks feel about blacks but are scared to say in public.

Notice how basketball is arguably the least popular of the 4 major sports and I don't think that is by accident.

You can ignore race but race always matter man.

Let me explain myself because maybe I wasn't clear. Nothing beside the Olyimpics can compete with the World Cup on a National Scale. So I don't think if there was more diversity in basketball that basketball would be able to compete.

To clear up what I was saying. I think basketball being a majority black sport does in fact hurt it's viewership because people are more likely to watch a sport if they are properly represented. Notice how Tiger Woods has increased the amount of black interest in golf over the past 15 years. Notice how Venus/Serena has increased the popularity amongst blacks when it comes to tennis viewership. Go read StormFront and ChimpOut about how they feel about basketball. You can say those sites are extreme but those sites represent how many non-blacks feel about blacks but are scared to say in public.

Notice how basketball is arguably the least popular of the 4 major sports and I don't think that is by accident.

You can ignore race but race always matter man.

Originally Posted by MaddenFan04

Originally Posted by TheGift23

I just BURST into laughter looking at that Air France Pic
roll.gif
roll.gif
thats why all the passengers died right?
indifferent.gif

lol
Damn really? I apoligize then...had no clue and considering the recent failure of the French NT...thought it was made recently.

Originally Posted by MaddenFan04

Originally Posted by TheGift23

I just BURST into laughter looking at that Air France Pic
roll.gif
roll.gif
thats why all the passengers died right?
indifferent.gif

lol
Damn really? I apoligize then...had no clue and considering the recent failure of the French NT...thought it was made recently.

For whatever reason, alot of mainstream America has a distaste for the NBA. Since USA Basketball is all NBA players, of course the Olympic B-Ball tourney is going to be downplayed.

And yeah the fact that America has sucked at soccer forever has something to do with it.

Regardless, I was more amped about the Olympic B-Ball tournament than I was about today's game. But I'm a fan of the NBA, so I don't represent the majority.

For whatever reason, alot of mainstream America has a distaste for the NBA. Since USA Basketball is all NBA players, of course the Olympic B-Ball tourney is going to be downplayed.

And yeah the fact that America has sucked at soccer forever has something to do with it.

Regardless, I was more amped about the Olympic B-Ball tournament than I was about today's game. But I'm a fan of the NBA, so I don't represent the majority.

the bottom line is this:

USA soccer = not expected to win
USA basketball = expected to win

the bottom line is this:

USA soccer = not expected to win
USA basketball = expected to win

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the WC is at a dead time in the sports world for most US sports fans...Last week I think more ppl were talking about the NBA finals than the world cup....

Back
Top Bottom