Why have nt'ers lost the ability to express their opinions succinctly? TL;DR

It wasn't so bad when it was just Meth and Rexanglorum. Now it seems as if every other poster is dropping a wall of text. Sometimes we'll get an entire essay on the most rudimentary points. Sometimes a battle will ensue and it becomes a competition to see who can wear down or scare the other into submission with the most long-winded post. It's getting very tired.
Yes, yes, I know I can scroll past. Honestly, I think I'm in the beginning stages of carpal tunnel and reaching over for that page down button all the time ain't helping 
ohwell.gif

Cliff Notes: Walls of text are bad.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

It wasn't so bad when it was just Meth and Rexanglorum. Now it seems as if every other poster is dropping a wall of text. Sometimes we'll get an entire essay on the most rudimentary points. Sometimes a battle will ensue and it becomes a competition to see who can wear down or scare the other into submission with the most long-winded post. It's getting very tired.
Yes, yes, I know I can scroll past. Honestly, I think I'm in the beginning stages of carpal tunnel and reaching over for that page down button all the time ain't helping 
ohwell.gif

All you gotta do is ask yourself "Is it going to be worth my time reading this dude's post?"
If the answer is yes, read his wall of text and if the answer is no, exit the thread.

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

Meth isn't a wall of text though. It's a wall of knowledge.
That's the point though. Nowadays you have people dropping a wall of silly bull@#^& thinking it's knowledge.

Originally Posted by iYen

ohwell.gif

All you gotta do is ask yourself "Is it going to be worth my time reading this dude's post?"
If the answer is yes, read his wall of text and if the answer is no, exit the thread.

This

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Are you scared of reading?
Never. In fact, I love reading so much that I got in trouble for it as a kid (true story). I'll read a long post if it's well thought out and the topic is either novel or important. I will not, however, read through a mountain of text that is basically opinion dressed up to look like fact or regurgitated information set out to look like knowledge.

Tupac Jordan wrote:

That's the point though. Nowadays you have people dropping a wall of silly bull@#^& thinking it's knowledge.

This.

And it's not as easy as that iYen. Some threads have a lot of good opinions succinctly stated. I'll end up scrolling past legions of walls of texts just to see what people who don't have a hard on for proving a point are saying. Those are almost always the best opinions.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

Low key shots fired at silly putty tho.. 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Spoiler [+]
Don't be mad that boy drops knowledge 
laugh.gif

x2... with the exception of Wise Pharaoh's posts. It might be silly %$+*%%%%, but 60% of the time, it's funny every time... so I *** w it
pimp.gif

I very well may be one of the people you are referring to. In that case, I will be brief.

Regardless to the topic at hand and however rudimentary these extremely long 5 paragraph replies may be to you, I would prefer that psuedo-intellectualism over the regurgitation of "too long, didn't read," "didn't read, lol," and requests for "cliffs" that seems to be rampant on this online community.

In my opinion, a happy medium between the two would be ideal, but in a battle between the two extremes, I think my allegiance would be clear.

dependin on the first 2 lines ill read it or not

dont see how it bothers you.. theres no test.. u dont have to read it..

i usually scroll right past the large obnoxious text/pics
giant font doesn't help get your point across...

ohwell.gif

I know eactly who you're talking about. Flexing muscle for no reason at all. I agree. It's dumb.

It's funny, most of the time the wall of text is only very loosely related to the person they're quoting, and invariably fails to address the heart of the argument.

My posts tend to be long because I like to use examples.
On another note though you all are ridiculous posting on a MESSAGE BOARD complaining about length of the posts though...

With some of the questions you guys ask, it could benefit you all to read more...
30t6p3b.gif

Making posts that long is really silly. I just scroll past them and hope my browser doesnt crash
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Yeah

I very well may be one of the people you are referring to. In that case, I will be brief.

Regardless to the topic at hand and however rudimentary these extremely long 5 paragraph replies may be to you, I would prefer that psuedo-intellectualism over the regurgitation of "too long, didn't read," "didn't read, lol," and requests for "cliffs" that seems to be rampant on this online community.

In my opinion, a happy medium between the two would be ideal, but in a battle between the two extremes, I think my allegiance would be clear.
The thing is, it seems to me that TL:DR and requests for cliffs are a natural response to this prevailing trend. In the NT days of yesteryear posts were more succinct and the ones that weren't were often well thought out and fairly engaging.
I can't pretend that I've never been long-winded on here. I just try to make sure that when I do need to go in depth it's not because I want to give my opinion the appearance of weight, but because I genuinely have knowledge or perspective to impart.

And ftr, I'm not taking shots at anyone in specific. There are too many offenders to name.

And Yeah I did sense your sarcasm pointing out that 5 paragraph is "extremely" long. What you aren't realizing is that for whatever reason, nowadays, 5 paragraph long posts seem to demand 5 paragraph long responses and so on and so forth. Before you know it you have multiple pages, of multiple walls of text. And its very rare that I ever feel like its worth the read. I'll usually get about a paragraph in before I have to hit abort for fear of wasting my time on nonsense.

once it turns into one of those posts where there are multiple quotes and color codes i'm done...

i'd rather read a wall of text than watch a 2 min. vid posted on here but those types of posts are OD and usually full of !@+! anyways by the time they get to that point

sillyputty wrote:
With some of the questions you guys ask, it could benefit you all to read more...
30t6p3b.gif

Then by all means point people in the right direction of the knowledge. No need to post walls of text as if you're the one who is schooling someone when in reality you are regurgitating knowledge that is out there for anyone to find. And that's not a knock on you personally. I've seen people copy over walls of text directly from Wikipedia and other sources. Why not pot a synopsis that helps establish your point without going overboard and then you can just link to the source of information.

Back
Top Bottom