Why is Air Max Bubble Smaller on Retros?

Hey guys,
At first it was my imagination but after comparing pics of the OG Nike Pippen and the new Retros it is CLEAR that the originals had big Air Max units.I also checked the Air More Uptempo and same situation. What the hell happened? Is there a reason why the Air Max units are reduced? Any info/heads up would bemuch appreciated.

Its been like this for a few years now. I'm not 100% on the exact reason, but I remember someone saying it has something to do with the environment. Thetype of gas used in the bigger units was bad for the ozone if it was popped.

Correct me if I'm wrong......

Yeah, someone said it has something to do with the enviornment.

Not only that, I heard that Nike made them smaller because the air bubbles will last longer? Not quite sure on that one.

Originally Posted by SneakerNoob791

How can that be when the air bubbles on the 360's and air max 95's are still a decent size?

nah...

AM 360 may look decent because there was no AM 360 before the smaller bubbles came, but they're definately in the same boat...and the cushion(while stillgood) pales in comparison to what it would've been pre-2005.

i'll let the bigger AM 95 heads have their fun with you, they deserve it more than me...
laugh.gif

edit- it starts
laugh.gif

NOWHERE in that article does it say ANYTHING about smaller air bubbles.

That article is basically about the 360 air unit, which was debuting at the time of the article.

If you're telling me that if they devote their time and attention to it, Nike can't make larger units like the OG's, then you're lying. Itmight not be their highest priority right now, but it needs to be.

How can that be when the air bubbles on the 360's and air max 95's are still a decent size?

Oh, and by the way - the bubbles on the retro 95's are minuscule compared to the originals.

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

has nothing to do with the environment so please kill that speculation.

Wrong sir!

In a nutshell:
Old air bubbles had "fat gas" in them, which was made of particles that were too large to escape through the plastic of the air-bubble, thus ensuringthat the air-bubble would not deflate with time. (to counteract the shrivelled-balloon effect)
But, fat gas was deemed bad for the environment, so now they had to find a way to counteract the shrivelled-balloon effect without using fat gas. So they fillthe bubbles with "clean air"but clean air would escape through the plastic (small particles) so they basically thickend the plastic they make theair-bubbles with so the clean air couldn't escape. And thicker plastic means the bubbles are smaller.

Hope this all made sense to you guys

54a25da669cb9503890680402b185a2aabc1bc2.gif

Air Max 95 air units are nowhere near the size they once were. If anyone has pics of the back of a 1999-2000 AM95 with the back of a 2008 AM95, you'll seethe difference right there.

The new cageless 360 has a nice bubble

nike-air-max-2009-03.jpg

Nike needs to figure it out on the 95s, I want a bigger bubble than the OGs

^^ From what I've seen, the OGs had the biggest air units and those lasted up until 1999 to 2000 or so (the last of those Air Max 95 SCs)

The AM95s just before the HOA had big air units but not as big as the originals. Remember, the originals actually had the air pressure readings printed on theunits; those same readings don't look like they would fit on pre-HOA air units (anything from 2002 to 2005 or so). The air units are still larger than the2008s (take a look at the space between the heel air unit and the air unit on the side)

They also look smaller because they no longer bulge out like the older units.

And I will co-sign with derekdru...Nike managed to enlarge the AM97 air unit (the 2007 release of the metallic silvers had a bigger air unit than other 2007AM97s) so I hope the same could be done for the AM95

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

has nothing to do with the environment so please kill that speculation.
Bzzzzt!

After reading the Business Week article swingshot quoted here, feel free to go back in time and read my(extremely long, but accurate) post here for a lot more insider background on whythis change in airsole design/manufacturing happened.

If it's for the environment then I would gladly sacrifice big air bubbles for smaller ones.

In reality, it's only shoes.

I know Nike's thinking about the enviorment, but I do miss those fat air bubbles. The new air bubbles just make the entire shoe flatter. I mean, it mightnot be a big thing to some people, and that's alright, but it's definitely a BIG deal to me, especially having the FAT OGs when I was younger and nowanticipating the retros and end up with a FLAT shoe. It's not just about the air itself, it's the principle behind it. All I'm saying is, if youbring back a shoe, do right by it and bring it back the way it used to be.

I know I might get vilified by all these tree-huggers on here, but I can care less about going green if it has to come to this. I DON'T CARE! GIVE ME MOREAIR! I DON'T CARE! I WANT MORE AIR!

Back
Top Bottom