Why is it so hard for people to manage their money?

whats do you all think about spending money on "experiences" vs materialism. "Experiences" being traveling, classes etc. things that are not tangible?

They say purchasing experiences makes one happier than purchasing objects

Yes

People spend more then they make. Most feel because they work hard this week it's ok to spend the whole check on what they want.

When I was making around 30-40k I would seem to spend 50-55k in a year. 5-6 pair of sneakers a month, vacation every 2 months, gucci this etc. just a bunch of dumb ****

Now that I'm making 6 figures a year I seem to spend nothing really. Just a few family vacations and a couple things I want.

I realize that when you have less money its hard to manage. You go month feeling like your killing yourself just to stay afloat. So you have to treat yourself before you burn yourself out.

Another factor into people managing money is location.

whats do you all think about spending money on "experiences" vs materialism. "Experiences" being traveling, classes etc. things that are not tangible?

Ehh I kind of disagree on this.

Some peoples "experiences" mean going to the bar/club every night, but won't spend money on a decent car,place to live or clothes.

Don't get me wrong, going out occasionally or traveling is great but if I look up and all my bread is gone I rather have spent it on tangible items than "experiences" that usually don't amount to nothing.

When I was broke, I was cheap.... now that I make wayyy more money, i'm wayyy more cheaper! :lol:

Funny how that works.

When I was broke, I was cheap.... now that I make wayyy more money, i'm wayyy more cheaper! :lol:

Funny how that works.

I always find this funny as well. When you don't have money, you see all types of things you want, and may even make a list of those things. But when you do have money, you end up prioritizing and rationalizing things. It was only a couple weeks ago I was invited to a strip club. I haven't been in awhile and very well could have, but I asked myself, do I want to go to a strip club, or would I rather fill my refrigerator up :lol:?

Last edited:

Funny how that works.

I always find this funny as well. When you don't have money, you see all types of things you want, and may even make a list of those things. But when you do have money, you end up prioritizing and rationalizing things. It was only a couple weeks ago I was invited to a strip club. I haven't been in awhile and very well could have, but I asked myself, do I want to go to a strip club, or would I rather fill my refrigerator up :lol:?

Guilty.

I was broke in January because of Christmas and closing out my house.

I really wanted the Beats Studio Wireless but had no money. Worked overtime in February and brought home over $11k.

Now i'm like.... Nah I don't see myself using it that much. :lol:

Last edited:

Funny how that works.

Basically. Being broke and not having a stop gap is tied to a feel I never wanna feel again so I'm more cautious now.

Yes
Absolutely yes. I just came back from study abroad. 4 months in HK and 1 month backpacking SE Asia.

Whole trip with dorming, flights, food, hostels cost me 8k.

The 5 months abroad has changed me in so many ways and opened me up to new things. I'm thinking about switching careers and teaching abroad now. I've met so many passionate and interesting people overseas. 

8k for a 5 month trip>8k for a car/jewlery/clothes/phones etc

Absolutely yes. I just came back from study abroad. 4 months in HK and 1 month backpacking SE Asia.

The 5 months abroad has changed me in so many ways and opened me up to new things. I'm thinking about switching careers and teaching abroad now. I've met so many passionate and interesting people overseas. 

was your study abroad trip apart of your schooling or something you decided to do on your own?

Yes

I fully respect your view on this.

Life starts when you leave your comfort zone.

When I travel, I meet such interesting people as well. From different walks of life, with different goals, but many of them have left a great impression on me. I'm definitely looking forward to travelling again this year.

Ironically I also studied abroad 5 months in HK and had 5k to spend the entire time. It was a struggle but assimilating into such a different culture and being pretty broke for the last month or two was a huge learning experience. I met a girl who saw me at my worst but literally saved me. Paid everything for me my last month there.

I went back a year later to spend two weeks with that girl. Not including the hotel and flight I spent $4500 that two weeks and she spent another $5k. Only material thing I brought back myself was this little guy...View media item 848746
The memories and stories stored in this little thumb drive are far more valuable to me than any material possessions I have.

was your study abroad trip apart of your schooling or something you decided to do on your own?
Yeah I went my last semester. Housing is subsidized for students in HK. It was only $625 for 4 months.

Back
Top Bottom