Why is Jordan brand messing up the OG color retros by changes?

I don't know why Jordan brand does not want or cannot retro the OG colorways of various
Air Jordans authentically in the recent years. Is it so difficult to make them look like the OG's

in terms of keeping the colors true to the original releases?

First AJ retro where the color got messed up was the AJ 7 retro in black/red-purple

which had a far too bright purple on the shoe.

The AJ 13 retro navy/flint grey-white became french blue/flint grey -white instead.

The AJ 6 re-retros from 2010 went from the infared to varsity red.

Then the AJ 13 white/varsity red-black had the carbon fiber plate painted in black

instead of grey. The AJ 13 Allstargames have the lines between the traction pods

left red instead of the light grey on the OG's and the hologram on the outsole

is neon yellow instead of orange-yellow.

Now the upcuming AJ 11 low IE black/varsity reds will also be changed.

Though the shoes still look great, me as a fan of the original colorways

which MJ had worn in the past will definetly pass on them.

I can live with slightly changes due to different materials or slightly different

shape, but using obviously different colors and contrast cannot be excused.

I don't know why Jordan brand does not want or cannot retro the OG colorways of various
Air Jordans authentically in the recent years. Is it so difficult to make them look like the OG's

in terms of keeping the colors true to the original releases?

First AJ retro where the color got messed up was the AJ 7 retro in black/red-purple

which had a far too bright purple on the shoe.

The AJ 13 retro navy/flint grey-white became french blue/flint grey -white instead.

The AJ 6 re-retros from 2010 went from the infared to varsity red.

Then the AJ 13 white/varsity red-black had the carbon fiber plate painted in black

instead of grey. The AJ 13 Allstargames have the lines between the traction pods

left red instead of the light grey on the OG's and the hologram on the outsole

is neon yellow instead of orange-yellow.

Now the upcuming AJ 11 low IE black/varsity reds will also be changed.

Though the shoes still look great, me as a fan of the original colorways

which MJ had worn in the past will definetly pass on them.

I can live with slightly changes due to different materials or slightly different

shape, but using obviously different colors and contrast cannot be excused.

There are collectors that spend big money to have older models true to form, it's a slap in the face to replace those models and devlue them. This is why I appreciate it. I'm happy 10 plus years later there are ways to distinguish what I spent $300 on and what just came out at the mall.

There are collectors that spend big money to have older models true to form, it's a slap in the face to replace those models and devlue them. This is why I appreciate it. I'm happy 10 plus years later there are ways to distinguish what I spent $300 on and what just came out at the mall.

Imo, I can see both sides of the topic, but I have to side with the collectors on this one....JB should stop focusing on retros and instead focus on new shoes. The thing is that retros are the big money maker for JB and this is probably why they have become dependent on them for success. The OGs will always be the OGs, and true collectors should know the difference. Retros to me ruin the shock value, so before today if I saw someone in Bordeauxs, it was like WHOA, but now its just like ehhh.. Same goes for KOs and sadly metallic 1s as well. Its a tough subject, and both sides have valid arguments. I think retros should have never existed, then JB would be flourishing with new stuff, b/c they better watch out since you can only retro the same thing so many times before it gets boring.....Thats why I see JB dying off in 2013 or 2014, we'll see.

Do you guys think it'll ever die or do you think they'll move away from retros and start focusing on new shoes again?

Imo, I can see both sides of the topic, but I have to side with the collectors on this one....JB should stop focusing on retros and instead focus on new shoes. The thing is that retros are the big money maker for JB and this is probably why they have become dependent on them for success. The OGs will always be the OGs, and true collectors should know the difference. Retros to me ruin the shock value, so before today if I saw someone in Bordeauxs, it was like WHOA, but now its just like ehhh.. Same goes for KOs and sadly metallic 1s as well. Its a tough subject, and both sides have valid arguments. I think retros should have never existed, then JB would be flourishing with new stuff, b/c they better watch out since you can only retro the same thing so many times before it gets boring.....Thats why I see JB dying off in 2013 or 2014, we'll see.

Do you guys think it'll ever die or do you think they'll move away from retros and start focusing on new shoes again?

They have pretty much always done this. 2001 bred 11s went from true red to varsity, and the 2000 infrareds changed to a deep infrared. This has been standard practice for a decade now. Something always changes, but some get changed more than others.

They have pretty much always done this. 2001 bred 11s went from true red to varsity, and the 2000 infrareds changed to a deep infrared. This has been standard practice for a decade now. Something always changes, but some get changed more than others.

I prefer retros that are identical to OGs, so I can get classics that are so old they are no longer wearable. Many times if a retro isn't on par it may push me to look for a pair of OGs. Within the past 5 years I picked up OG taxis, white/red 12s, and playoff 13s, and it doesn't bother me one bit that they have since been retroed. I know what they are and love them, and that's all that matters.

True collector's shouldn't care whether or not a shoe is devalued due to retros. If you really only care about how much your shoes are worth or how rare they are then you probably shouldn't be collecting.

I prefer retros that are identical to OGs, so I can get classics that are so old they are no longer wearable. Many times if a retro isn't on par it may push me to look for a pair of OGs. Within the past 5 years I picked up OG taxis, white/red 12s, and playoff 13s, and it doesn't bother me one bit that they have since been retroed. I know what they are and love them, and that's all that matters.

True collector's shouldn't care whether or not a shoe is devalued due to retros. If you really only care about how much your shoes are worth or how rare they are then you probably shouldn't be collecting.

Originally Posted by ohdannyboy

In order to distinguish between og's and retros
Exactly! I mean it does suck, but I guess they're also looking out for those people that have OG's on ice..
eek.gif

Originally Posted by ohdannyboy

In order to distinguish between og's and retros
Exactly! I mean it does suck, but I guess they're also looking out for those people that have OG's on ice..
eek.gif

my guess is alot of older cw's are considered radicle nowadays so like the infrareds they change them to red and weve only gotten 1 retro of the olives

my guess is alot of older cw's are considered radicle nowadays so like the infrareds they change them to red and weve only gotten 1 retro of the olives

ohdannyboy is right but i also agree with you on this one. I personally would change a small minor detail of the shoes so it can be distingishable.

ohdannyboy is right but i also agree with you on this one. I personally would change a small minor detail of the shoes so it can be distingishable.

I don't even think it has to do with keeping OG's distinct from retros. I think Nike prolly owns the rights to the way the shoes looked back in the day, so JB has to make subtle changes. Of course, we can see the subtle changes cuz we keep the shoes under such a microscope all day.

I don't even think it has to do with keeping OG's distinct from retros. I think Nike prolly owns the rights to the way the shoes looked back in the day, so JB has to make subtle changes. Of course, we can see the subtle changes cuz we keep the shoes under such a microscope all day.

though Nike may own the rights, JB is still connected to Nike. i read one of their corporate reports and it talked about Jordans, I believe.

Even the 94 retros were different, but i dont think in color. When was the first "color" difference on a retro from an original? 2000?

Back
Top Bottom