Why is Philly So Overlooked when it comes to Rap ?

Their up and comers are only loved in the philly-jersey-maybe DMV area...the 2 times I've been to Philly was for a Jay concert and a club and when that dude Meek Millz performed, EVERYONE KNEW THE LYRICS to like 4 songs with the same beat...I'm like "who the @%+# is this?"...on top of that he's yellin out "FLAMERS!" all the time, the name of his group or whatever...What kinda name is Flamers? I'm not hating but I can't find anyone in NY that knows who that is/would like a rap camp named Flamers...thats just one example though
laugh.gif

Well, more than Chris get shine because of the Roc affiliation. Beans?

Black Thought?

Philly gets it's shine when it comes correct with the music. Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff are pioneers. Hate if you like.

Philly has mad pioneers. 3 X Dope. Steady B. Cool C. They were down at first. Then started beefing with each other (3 x Dope vs. Hilltop). Then stickin' up banks and catching cases.

Philly is like Detroit. It's is a TOUGH, blue collar city. Not as cosmopolitan as NY, LA, even Chicago. Those are all TOUGH cities as well, but they have a flossy side. Not as much of that in Philly and Detroit. And I think the music reflects that. Hence the lack of commercial appeal.

lol @ the gun and coke talk being the reason.

if the clipse drop a tape tomorrow dudes on this site will call out sick to work waiting for the exact time it releases.

if NT's savior jay made an entire album about coke, females and killing ppl then ppl here would faint. etc. etc.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Hoa1T3r6Z3Y?f=videos&app=youtube_gdatahttp://www.youtube.com/v/Hoa1T3r6Z3Y?f=videos&app=youtube_gdatahttp://www.youtube.com/v/IVOPqK-ywEI?f=videos&app=youtube_gdatahttp://www.youtube.com/v/IVOPqK-ywEI?f=videos&app=youtube_gdata

^exactly..as if coke and gun rap doesnt exist..my guess is that many of these dudes arent packaged right..ala cassidy

Philly prolly has the deepest rap history of any city next to New York, !@*% Schoolly D is really the first gangsta rapper ever.  As illphill said, the city is a tough place, it doesn't really have the flashy side to it.   It is a raw, grimy place for the most part.  Philly dudes can all spit though.

Originally Posted by haiti5

^exactly..as if coke and gun rap doesnt exist..my guess is that many of these dudes arent packaged right..ala cassidy

the only coke and gun dudes selln any type of records are from the south...

all philly has is battle rappers... even when they makin a song they sound like they battlin...

+@%!$! like reed dollaz have no place in mainstream rap

Beans and Free should be a huge success by now. They dropped some of the greatest verses and songs. What happened?

Originally Posted by Twig1026

Their up and comers are only loved in the philly-jersey-maybe DMV area...the 2 times I've been to Philly was for a Jay concert and a club and when that dude Meek Millz performed, EVERYONE KNEW THE LYRICS to like 4 songs with the same beat...I'm like "who the @%+# is this?"...on top of that he's yellin out "FLAMERS!" all the time, the name of his group or whatever...What kinda name is Flamers? I'm not hating but I can't find anyone in NY that knows who that is/would like a rap camp named Flamers...thats just one example though
laugh.gif
That's what it sounds like.

I agree with the Detroit comparison.  I think if one big star came out of Philly (like Em for the D), people would take notice.  

Originally Posted by illphillip

Well, more than Chris get shine because of the Roc affiliation. Beans?

Black Thought?

Philly gets it's shine when it comes correct with the music. Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff are pioneers. Hate if you like.

Philly has mad pioneers. 3 X Dope. Steady B. Cool C. They were down at first. Then started beefing with each other (3 x Dope vs. Hilltop). Then stickin' up banks and catching cases.

Philly is like Detroit. It's is a TOUGH, blue collar city. Not as cosmopolitan as NY, LA, even Chicago. Those are all TOUGH cities as well, but they have a flossy side. Not as much of that in Philly and Detroit. And I think the music reflects that. Hence the lack of commercial appeal.

I basically agree with time...

++@$%% can't make songs..

Only time I see philly rappers is when they battlin..

Or they're freestylin about how they "got guns longer than a baby giraffes neck"

I enjoy Gun & coke rap just as much as the next !@$#!..

But damn..

I won't lie tho..

Phillys Most Wanted album was nice
pimp.gif

And them Take Down Record dudes, Bugsy and Snake

Scratchin and Survivin was my $#+*

I still got the new jack city pt2 movie..
laugh.gif

Black Thought hands down the best rapper out of philly. Lyrically one of the best emcees of all time and collectivelly, The Roots have a great body of work musically. To many Philly rappers forget to pay homage to him imo. Other than him Liva and Beans are dope

I always thought Peedi Crack had huge potential to blow.  His delivery/style was very unique and catchy.  Too bad the Roc broke up

damn i forgot about PMW... they wasnt really good rappers but at least they made some songs... a few were
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom