Why is that White (American) fighters are more succesful in MMA than in Boxing?

Aside from Kelly Pavlik there doesn't seem to be any decent White American prizefighters in the sport of boxing.

In MMA you got guys like Faber, Pulver, Lidell, etc...etc.. These guys have decent to good stand-up skills and I was wondering how they would fare strictly asboxers.

Probably because a lot of the white youth gets into wrestling and from there they end up fighting in MMA.

Two different sports.Extremely Different gloves.. MMA you have to watch for kicks, knees, takedowns etc.... and to name a few off the top of my head who haveboxed professionally

Marcus Davis
[table][tr][th=""]Mixed martial arts record[/th] [/tr][tr][th=""]Wins[/th] [td]15[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""] By knockout[/th] [td]5[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""] By submission[/th] [td]8[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Losses[/th] [td]4[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Draws[/th] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]No contests[/th] [td]0[/td] [/tr][/table]Boxing Record
won 17 (KO 12) + lost 1 (KO 1) + drawn 2 = 20
rounds boxed 58 : KO% 60
Jens Pulver
[table][tr][th=""]Mixed martial arts record[/th] [/tr][tr][th=""]Wins[/th] [td]21[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""] By knockout[/th] [td]13[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""] By submission[/th] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Losses[/th] [td]10[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Draws[/th] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]No contests[/th] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Boxing record[/th] [/tr][tr][th=""]Wins[/th] [td]4[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""] By knockout[/th] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Losses[/th] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Draws[/th] [td]0[/td] [/tr][/table]
Butterbean
[table][tr][th=""]Boxing record[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Total[/td] [td]88[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wins[/td] [td]77[/td] [/tr][tr][td]By knockout[/td] [td]58[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Losses[/td] [td]7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]By knockout[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Draws[/td] [td]4[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]MMA record[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Total[/td] [td]19[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wins[/td] [td]11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]By knockout[/td] [td]4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]By submission[/td] [td]7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Losses[/td] [td]7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]By knockout[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]By submission[/td] [td]4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Draws[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][/table]
Chris Lytle
[table][tr][th=""]Mixed martial arts record[/th] [/tr][tr][th=""]Wins[/th] [td]26[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""] By knockout[/th] [td]4[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""] By submission[/th] [td]18[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Losses[/th] [td]16[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Draws[/th] [td]5[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]No contests[/th] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Boxing record[/th] [/tr][tr][th=""]Wins[/th] [td]13[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""] By knockout[/th] [td]7[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Losses[/th] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Draws[/th] [td]1
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by GoodfellaDave

In Boxing, speed beats power. In MMA, power beats speed.

That doesn't make sense.

I mean, you're basically making the assertion that white people aren't fast enough to be widely successful in boxing. But that doesn't account forthe numerous "white" fighters that come from overseas and find success in prize fighting.

This can be easily explained by the nature in which most people that end up in boxing get there, and the nature in which most people that end up in MMA end upfighting professionally.

Chuck Liddell practices Hawaiian Kenpo, but grew up a wrestler. Marcus Davis was a boxer before coming into MMA. Faber was a wrestler. Pulver was a boxer.But then you also have to take into account that a lot of these guys come from strictly martial arts backgrounds like Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu (Matt Serra), Karate (Frank Mir), etc. Before MMA, there really wasn't a professional arena for world class wrestlers, martial artists, etc. And in America, these othernon-boxing combat sports are populated by the ethnic majority.

It's really not that hard to understand.

It helps that a large majority of MMA fighters are college wrestlers (where a large majority). This is like the closest thing to turning pro for them.

In Boxing, speed beats power. In MMA, power beats speed.

indifferent.gif

Pulver was a boxer.
Pulver was actually a collegiate wrestler before anything.

Another reason is that the majority of white people take up wrestling like someone said above and not trying to be racist but if gives them a chance because alot of the white fighters don't have a lot of knockout power in the MMA besides MAYBE chuck liddel and silva which he isnt even white i think.

I think he's saying it's a racist comment because you're implying that the only reason white people succeed at MMA is because there aren't alot of black people in the sport (unlike boxing, basketball, football, etc.) So it comes off that you're saying if more blacks were in MMA then whitepeople wouldn't be successful in that either... frankly I agree but I don't think it's a racist comment...

For the person that posted, if I'm not getting your point, feel free to correct me...

:: ignorant:: White people lack the commitment and work ethic. Have you seen the time and focus that my brothers put in for a fight? Insane.

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

Probably because a lot of the white youth gets into wrestling and from there they end up fighting in MMA.
Jackpot

Originally Posted by Club29

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

Jackpot
Not only that... and I know I'm going to regret this, but who cares, it's truth.

Let's face it. The 3 main feeds of MMA now a days are

1. former wrestlers
2. martial artists
3. "bad %$!@*" (you know these guys, they won a couple bar fights, think he's the next chuck liddell).

that being said, I'm sure if you looked at just PURE statistics, there are more white collegiate wrestlers, as well, more white (americans) enrolled inmartial arts.

I'm not saying that that means whites are smarter, faster, more athletic, quicker, or any other race card characteristic that I know there's justsomeone dying to come in and throw, it's just stats.

It's just like saying why white (euro and american) players so much more successful in Europe that the NBA... well its because there's more of them.

Trust, I wholeheartedly believe if more African-Americans, Latin-Americans, Asian-Americans were wrestlers/martial artists, enough to be say of equalpercentage, then the number would be more distributed.

Because let's be frank... in terms of the BEST fighters... whites still don't dominate that
laugh.gif

1. B.J. Penn (korean/hawaiian)
2. Fedor (russian
3. Anderson Silva (brazilian)
4. GSP (french canadian)

Originally Posted by doyung9

Because let's be frank... in terms of the BEST fighters... whites still don't dominate that
laugh.gif

1. B.J. Penn (korean/hawaiian)
2. Fedor (russian
3. Anderson Silva (brazilian)
4. GSP (french canadian)

I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept that Fedor and GSP aren't "white". They aren't "white Americans", butthey're definitely "white".

Back
Top Bottom