Why is Writing Taught?

I use to think the same way as the op but there are people out there who dont know how to read or write correctly.

An example, in my senior year of high school English class, i was the only male who could read. I kid u not there are dudes who are 17-19 in school and cannotpronounce simple words and cant read a full sentence without pausing atleast twice.

In this same class, this chick had me revise her research paper and this #@#%+ wrote the exact same way she speaks. If yall ever heard her speak yall would seewhy this is so bad.

Originally Posted by FL0ETiCNOSTALGiA

laugh.gif
I'd rather write a paper than do anything that involves numbers.

helllll yeahhh

Can I assume you are in High School?

How to write properly is THE SINGLE most important thing that you can learn in High School...

There is nothing else that will prepare you more for college and employment in the adult world...

Please don't judge my writing here on the Internet...it is late...just trying to help the kid out...

JM

I hated writing when I was in elementary school, middle school, high school, and even now in college. I had the same mentality as the OP, why insert uselessinformation just to fulfill a requirement? In fact, I loathed writing so much, it was one of the primary reasons why I'm an engineering major. But Irealized that as useless as writing seems, it is very important. Even though teachers require you to write a certain amount, what they really want is qualitywork. If you can write something good, but not make the page requirement, they won't say anything because quality > quantity. I still hate writing, butI can accept it's importance in society. And by no means am I a good writer (it should be pretty obvious).

Rhetoric. The ability to communicate with force and originality.
Life is about communicating, my friend, learn to do it well and you will have a major advantage.

BTW, look at your man Obama. He was elected, largely, because of his ability to speak forcefully. If you want to follow in his footsteps (not to mention mostrich/intelligent/influential people) you should learn to write well.

I don't like minimum length requirements, but I think a lot of the purpose in it is to actively think about something, rather than scratching the surfacein 2 sentences and calling it done. I do agree that a lot of topics can be done in 1/4 the paper. It's pretty pointless to write an 8-page paper about howyou brush your teeth. Why it's taught in school? "Those who write well, speak well; and those who speak well, do well."

Originally Posted by bkdan1

I hated writing when I was in elementary school, middle school, high school, and even now in college. I had the same mentality as the OP, why insert useless information just to fulfill a requirement? In fact, I loathed writing so much, it was one of the primary reasons why I'm an engineering major. But I realized that as useless as writing seems, it is very important. Even though teachers require you to write a certain amount, what they really want is quality work. If you can write something good, but not make the page requirement, they won't say anything because quality > quantity. I still hate writing, but I can accept it's importance in society. And by no means am I a good writer (it should be pretty obvious).
I bet you were mad as hell when you found out you've got to do technical writing.

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Originally Posted by bkdan1

I hated writing when I was in elementary school, middle school, high school, and even now in college. I had the same mentality as the OP, why insert useless information just to fulfill a requirement? In fact, I loathed writing so much, it was one of the primary reasons why I'm an engineering major. But I realized that as useless as writing seems, it is very important. Even though teachers require you to write a certain amount, what they really want is quality work. If you can write something good, but not make the page requirement, they won't say anything because quality > quantity. I still hate writing, but I can accept it's importance in society. And by no means am I a good writer (it should be pretty obvious).
I bet you were mad as hell when you found out you've got to do technical writing.
Yeah, I was
laugh.gif
but at least it was relevant for my future, not those stupid papers we wrote for inane readings we've done in grade school.

Originally Posted by tylerdub

Rhetoric. The ability to communicate with force and originality.
Life is about communicating, my friend, learn to do it well and you will have a major advantage.

BTW, look at your man Obama. He was elected, largely, because of his ability to speak forcefully. If you want to follow in his footsteps (not to mention most rich/intelligent/influential people) you should learn to write well.
Yep. Effective rhetoric really leaves an imprint on people. Leaders use it to inspire followers, businessmen use it to instruct workers andcompromise with others, and professors will use it to manipulate their students. It is an extremely powerful tool.

This thread will be full of pompous NTers trying to critique replies, scanning for any and every grammatical error.

Yes, "NTer" is not a real word.

Writing is important and is needed. But teachers OD on the pages. They can care less if you can't find anything to write about. If a student can deliver anA+ paper in 3 pages then accept it. Its like sex, would you want your spouse to satisfy you in a timely manner or take an hours and forever to satisfy you?

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Writing is important and is needed. But teachers OD on the pages. They can care less if you can't find anything to write about. If a student can deliver an A+ paper in 3 pages then accept it. Its like sex, would you want your spouse to satisfy you in a timely manner or take an hours and forever to satisfy you?
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

there testing your +@#+%%+% skills , because after like 2-3 pages it usually all +@#+%%+%. and to make it in this world your +@#+%%+% skills need to be onpoint.

there testing your *$++%+%@ skills , because after like 2-3 pages it usually all *$++%+%@. and to make it in this world your *$++%+%@ skills need to be onpoint.

Originally Posted by WHPH10

Ok, seriously...Why is writing taught? What benefit does writing have?

I'm here working on a 7-page paper and I just don't see the point.

Also, if I can make my point in 2 pages, why make seven out of it?

smh.gif
...Why, NT, why??
That's what im saying, I hate when I have to write more then I have to.
laugh.gif

english writing is one of my biggest weaknesses. no matter how hard i try to study "writing", it'll never be satisfactory when i try to put mythoughts onto paper. i always end up being unclear or undeveloped. however!, i do agree that writing is very important and effective.

Originally Posted by jplikejayz

word, i hate these %!#%*!@ length requirements. why don't you just let me american express myself in however many pages i actually need instead of pulling the period trick and +%!%

yes i'm mad

Back
Top Bottom