Will NFL become the most watched sport in the world and displace soccer?

I had a debate with a co-worker (he's a soccer apologist) and his only defence of soccer was that it was the "most popular sport in the world". I explain the obvious reason that soccer is the "most popular", like rice is the most "popular" food in the world: because its cheap and accessible to third world countries, not because people enjoy them more than a hamburger or real football. If given the choice, the rest of the world would choose a hamburger over rice and football over soccer, but unfortunately we have been the only country to be able to afford such a complex and expensive sport, with all the plastic and foam needed for pads and helmets. However with other countries seeing a rising standard of life, they will look for more exciting options than soccer, like football, baseball or basketball. Now of those options, football is by far the most exciting to watch. In fact, looking at the vast success the NFL has had with the Super Bowl globally proves that the world is hungry for football on TV. Over a billion people watch the Super Bowl, with only 109 million being American (source: CNN).

Just like our movies and TV shows have come to dominate the world, so will our football because it offers more excitement than the alternatives. Now the NFL is even talking about setting up a franchise in London, after 3 consecutive sell-outs and over 400,000 ticket requests in 90 minutes! The NFL is simply the most entertaining sport and it's failure to gain foreign fans will be shortlived once the world gets more exposure to our wonder sport. So will NFL become the most watched sport in the world and displace soccer? My answer is a resounding: YES!

people outside of the USA do not care about NFL nor do half of them even know what it is.

Soccer will always without a doubt be the most known, played, and watched.

Originally Posted by bconngemini

I explain the obvious reason that soccer is the "most popular", like rice is the most "popular" food in the world: because its cheap and accessible to third world countries, not because people enjoy them more than a hamburger or real football. If given the choice, the rest of the world would choose a hamburger over rice and football over soccer, but unfortunately we have been the only country to be able to afford such a complex and expensive sport, with all the plastic and foam needed for pads and helmets. However with other countries seeing a rising standard of life, they will look for more exciting options than soccer, like football, baseball or basketball.
Clever and interesting argument, but wrong.

Never. People in America (México, Argentina, Brasil, etc) and Europe (England, Spain, Italy, etc) are born and raised to a futbol club. Every kid dreams to play for his club one day. USA sports don't have that kind of feeling where a kid comes from the ground up and gets into his club and LIVES for them, see River Plate going to Nacional B and players leaving his clubs in Europe to go play there...

BTW maybe you don't see soccer like an exciting sport, but if you follow Mexican League, Premier League, Argetinian League you will know the emotion you get out of every game...

Also the World Cup is one of the most viewed sports event and it's almost 15 days of soccer and more soccer...

The NFL tried expanding a sort of minor league in Europe but it failed to really catch on. IMO soccer will always rule all internationally for reasons you mentioned OP about ease of pickup games to play. I am a huge football fan but know it will likely never catch on internationally. Can't blame Goodell for trying to start a new league in Europe again but I just can't see it being successful.

no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love NFL but that will NEVER replace soccer. soccer is like a world wide sport that every country plays.

Originally Posted by Zyzz

people outside of the USA do not care about NFL nor do half of them even know what it is.

That's not true, the Super Bowl was watched by a billion people, of which 900 million were outside the USA, so clearly they do care about the NFL when they get exposure. The problem has been poverty, NFL is a very expensive and first world endevour, so other countries haven't been able to afford it. But now we are exporting it like we do with our movies and the world is thirsty for some real action and big hits. Think about it, if you spent your entire life watching soccer you would think that even a average NFL game is the most exciting thing ever.

How do you explain people in England and other well to do countries that don't give a crap about american football?

I like the NFL far more than I like soccer, but your side of the argument is laughable.

Originally Posted by jayt206

The NFL tried expanding a sort of minor league in Europe but it failed to really catch on. IMO soccer will always rule all internationally for reasons you mentioned OP about ease of pickup games to play. I am a huge football fan but know it will likely never catch on internationally. Can't blame Goodell for trying to start a new league in Europe again but I just can't see it being successful.
The thing is, football isn't hard to play pickup either, all you really need for a pickup game is a ball. Yeah I know pickup flag football isn't the same, but pickup soccer isn't the same as full field 11-vs-11 soccer either. The problem is that for a real football game, you need the manly war shoulder pads that make everyone look like a Superman, and we are the only country that can afford that.

Really? take it from me, I have family throughout southern/western Europe, these people don't even know what a "first down is". They have no care for the NFL, in fact the NFL tried to bring a minor league system to Europe called "NFL Europa", it lasted 6 years.  Your reaching though bro, yes Soccer is one of the easiest sports to pick up and play but thats not what makes it appealing.  Soccer truly is a beautiful game. 

Originally Posted by dland24

I like the NFL far more than I like soccer, but your side of the argument is laughable.

How is it laughable? In any market, a superior good will beat an inferior good, its simple economics. The only reason football isn't the most watched sport in Europe, Asia, Australia...etc is because they:

1) Haven't received enough exposure (don't understand all the strategies, rules...etc)
2) Aren't as rich as we are and can't afford pads, but as their developing economies grow this will eventually not be a problem

Given a choice, a person would choose to watch something exciting over something boring, hence football will eventually prevail over soccer.

Originally Posted by jayt206

The thing is, football isn't hard to play pickup either, all you really need for a pickup game is a ball. Yeah I know pickup flag football isn't the same, but pickup soccer isn't the same as full field 11-vs-11 soccer either. The problem is that for a real football game, you need the manly war shoulder pads that make everyone look like a Superman, and we are the only country that can afford that.
actually "pick-up" soccer is a lot closer to "real" soccer than flag football is to real football. the only thing missing in pick-up soccer is a goalie and a net, other wise its the same thing.

And soccer will always be #1 in the world. read a book.

Originally Posted by LosALMIGHTY

And soccer will always be #1 in the world. read a book.

Why do you say this and what evidence is there to support your soccer love-in? If you actually look at the data, soccer is in a steady decline around the world, with basketball the most popular sport in China and baseball throughout Asia and South America, and with soccer falling in popularity throughout modern first world countries like the USA, Canada, Australia, Germany, France..etc. Except for England and some other Old Europe countries, soccer is only popular in very poor places (Ghana, Brazil...etc) and as these places see their GDP increase, so does the popularity of soccer decrease in those countries. Basketball may eventually become the most played sport in the world, its just as cheap as soccer except its fun to play and looks more masculine, but football will come to dominate the global TV ratings as its just the best TV product that America has ever created (and we know good TV since the whole world watches our shows).

As soon as the rest of the world understand football, they will never turn back, it's hard to argue that soccer is more exciting to watch but I'd love to see you try.

Originally Posted by DLo13

Look who's back...
laugh.gif

That's not true, the Super Bowl was watched by a billion people, of which 900 million were outside the USA, so clearly they do care about the NFL when they get exposure. The problem has been poverty, NFL is a very expensive and first world endevour, so other countries haven't been able to afford it. But now we are exporting it like we do with our movies and the world is thirsty for some real action and big hits. Think about it, if you spent your entire life watching soccer you would think that even a average NFL game is the most exciting thing ever.
they watch for the commercials
laugh.gif
im serious too

like i said they dont give a crap about football. soccer will always be #1 by a huge margin and this is coming from someone who doesnt care about soccer. its the truth.

Football has a better chance of going to the boxing/horse racing route than it does to ever become large on a global level
laugh.gif

If you had said, basketball, you could have at least made the argument but football?
roll.gif

they watch for the commercials
laugh.gif
im serious too

like i said they dont give a crap about football. soccer will always be #1 by a huge margin and this is coming from someone who doesnt care about soccer. its the truth.
They don't show US commericals overseas by contract, so the 900 million non-Americans watched it because football is that exciting.

Back
Top Bottom