Will Nike SB ever retro 1st, 2nd generation sbs?

It had me wondering today,with all these wack colorways and concepts, will they make their big "comeback" by retroing older models like supremes, zoos, chocolates, etc

Is this a good idea for them or bad?
I personally think this would really revive the line

It had me wondering today,with all these wack colorways and concepts, will they make their big "comeback" by retroing older models like supremes, zoos, chocolates, etc

Is this a good idea for them or bad?
I personally think this would really revive the line

SB is hurting itself by making their product line exclusive to skateshops yet Janoskis just recently dropped at 21 mercer and PRod IVs dropped at Nikestore. Based on what I hear, Nike SB and 6.0 are going to merge into one because 6.0 is actually making the right moves in creating a name for itself.

'Retroing' the 1st/2nd series of SB would be a last ditch effort to maintain sales but selling a few thousand pairs ain't gonna do much for them.

SB is hurting itself by making their product line exclusive to skateshops yet Janoskis just recently dropped at 21 mercer and PRod IVs dropped at Nikestore. Based on what I hear, Nike SB and 6.0 are going to merge into one because 6.0 is actually making the right moves in creating a name for itself.

'Retroing' the 1st/2nd series of SB would be a last ditch effort to maintain sales but selling a few thousand pairs ain't gonna do much for them.

I totally agree with justhot
Thats like Nike Basketball only selling Kobes, LBJs, Hyperfuses, etc at local Basketball shops.
6.0 made the right move by branching out and being more widely available.

Retro-ing 1st and 2nd generation SBs will just bring the hype back, not the steady and increase flow of money SB is looking for.
I seriously do not mind the retros, but limiting them makes no sense...but hey, I just never got into the SB hype.

Thats like Nike Basketball only selling Kobes, LBJs, Hyperfuses, etc at local Basketball shops.

Retro-ing 1st and 2nd generation SBs will just bring the hype back, not the steady and increase flow of money SB is looking for.
I seriously do not mind the retros, but limiting them makes no sense...but hey, I just never got into the SB hype.

Funny I was just thinking about this earlier. I wouldn't mind seeing some of them being retroed but in a super limited quickstrike? There's only one skateshop with a Nike sb account in San Jose and they rarely get anything..

Funny I was just thinking about this earlier. I wouldn't mind seeing some of them being retroed but in a super limited quickstrike? There's only one skateshop with a Nike sb account in San Jose and they rarely get anything..

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

I understand why they only sell them in skate shops though. It's super expensive for a shop to carry the SB line since Nike makes them buy all of the shoes they put out, from the (until recently) hot selling dunks to the shoes that shops end up marking down to almost cost. If Nike started to sell the SB line outside of shops regularly, you'd see the death of quite a few stores who barely make it by as it is.  Take a look at how many shops have shut down in the past few years, this recession is hitting skate shops really hard. I know my local changed hands when the owner wanted to close and 2 employees came up with the money to keep it open, after having their SB account in a state of limbo for a few months they started getting everything again, but only in limited numbers, if SB were to start selling the shoes in the mall it wouldn't be cost effective for the skateshop to carry the shoes/ Nike SB would end up losing the street cred they spent YEARS trying to build up.

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

I understand why they only sell them in skate shops though. It's super expensive for a shop to carry the SB line since Nike makes them buy all of the shoes they put out, from the (until recently) hot selling dunks to the shoes that shops end up marking down to almost cost. If Nike started to sell the SB line outside of shops regularly, you'd see the death of quite a few stores who barely make it by as it is.  Take a look at how many shops have shut down in the past few years, this recession is hitting skate shops really hard. I know my local changed hands when the owner wanted to close and 2 employees came up with the money to keep it open, after having their SB account in a state of limbo for a few months they started getting everything again, but only in limited numbers, if SB were to start selling the shoes in the mall it wouldn't be cost effective for the skateshop to carry the shoes/ Nike SB would end up losing the street cred they spent YEARS trying to build up.

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Thats doesnt really make alot of sense....

6.0 mergeing with SB would be like Nike Basketball merging with Jordan Brand...its two very different divisions with two very different agendas....6.0 has been making very good moves of late more due to great style and substance in a recession market (i.e affordable price)....its extememly difficult to fight the fact that 6.0 has some nice colorways in both the Mavrk and Dunk lines... but the truth is SB and 6.0 consumers are VERY different...Example...when is the last time ANYONE considered paying full price for a pair of 6.0?? (Let alone buying them) The Red Dragons and Encores were good examples of welll executed kicks but the consumer never really bit..until they reached the outlets that is...

The problem that Nike SB had is they fell into 50cent syndrome...they started believing there own hype and started just putting out whatever thinking they would sell...They also TOO agressively expanded the brand when the consumer was not fully ready for it....From a pure profitability standpoint from both the local shops as well Nike, it made sense to not just put out one or two dunks a month but 4 to 5...cause %%!!...why not...the kids line up...go crazy for them...and we ALWAYS sell out...When the Chaulks came out...then that Old Spice pack...it was the first time SB actually sat..then were RTV'd (a first for SB..%%!! Even Team SB's sold out)...Instead of refocusing the brand they decided to keep going...but just throw in a quickstrike month over month to get the consumer back into the shops...figuring hey...they came in to get Skunks...they sold out...but we got these Oompa Loompa Mids we just marked down...why not??

The retro is coming Kids...Trust...The Gucci's did EXTREMELY well at retail....The stores were happy...Nike was happy...

The reason 6.0 and Nike will never merge is 6.0 is more about margins and profits based on quantity...Nike SB is a niche market...in the same fashion that Bespokes are...There ARE profit margins in Nike SB...but if you think Nike SB Corporate seeing a dollar of that markup that the local guys make on the "hot" release you are mistaken...The kicks cost the same $34 regardless.. (okay quickstrikes are like $40)....Nike SB was created to build awareness of Nike in the subculture of skating....Sneakerheads made them hot...Either way Nike SB keeps ALOT of shops very much in business....

In regards to seeing Nike SB at 21 Mercer....21 Mercer's customers are considered a high level educated consumer...Not your "Hey I need a good running sneaker" consumer...Mercers consumers are considered by Nike to be the tone of sneakerculture defining whats hot and whats not...In the same fashion MOST hyped Nike releases (Yeezys, Foams, Limited Collabo's etc) make there way there its only right to have the blue boxes show up....Now...Dunks will NEVER be release there as Nike would be putting them selves in direct competition with Sneakershops and the Supremes, Hufs, DQM's of the world would object..P-rods..Janaskis...they can be sold there and the new CCS stores popping up..but No Bueno on the dunks..cause...ike dude said...SB accounts are expensive...

6.0 mergeing with SB would be like Nike Basketball merging with Jordan Brand...its two very different divisions with two very different agendas....6.0 has been making very good moves of late more due to great style and substance in a recession market (i.e affordable price)....its extememly difficult to fight the fact that 6.0 has some nice colorways in both the Mavrk and Dunk lines... but the truth is SB and 6.0 consumers are VERY different...Example...when is the last time ANYONE considered paying full price for a pair of 6.0?? (Let alone buying them) The Red Dragons and Encores were good examples of welll executed kicks but the consumer never really bit..until they reached the outlets that is...

The problem that Nike SB had is they fell into 50cent syndrome...they started believing there own hype and started just putting out whatever thinking they would sell...They also TOO agressively expanded the brand when the consumer was not fully ready for it....From a pure profitability standpoint from both the local shops as well Nike, it made sense to not just put out one or two dunks a month but 4 to 5...cause %%!!...why not...the kids line up...go crazy for them...and we ALWAYS sell out...When the Chaulks came out...then that Old Spice pack...it was the first time SB actually sat..then were RTV'd (a first for SB..%%!! Even Team SB's sold out)...Instead of refocusing the brand they decided to keep going...but just throw in a quickstrike month over month to get the consumer back into the shops...figuring hey...they came in to get Skunks...they sold out...but we got these Oompa Loompa Mids we just marked down...why not??

The retro is coming Kids...Trust...The Gucci's did EXTREMELY well at retail....The stores were happy...Nike was happy...

The reason 6.0 and Nike will never merge is 6.0 is more about margins and profits based on quantity...Nike SB is a niche market...in the same fashion that Bespokes are...There ARE profit margins in Nike SB...but if you think Nike SB Corporate seeing a dollar of that markup that the local guys make on the "hot" release you are mistaken...The kicks cost the same $34 regardless.. (okay quickstrikes are like $40)....Nike SB was created to build awareness of Nike in the subculture of skating....Sneakerheads made them hot...Either way Nike SB keeps ALOT of shops very much in business....

In regards to seeing Nike SB at 21 Mercer....21 Mercer's customers are considered a high level educated consumer...Not your "Hey I need a good running sneaker" consumer...Mercers consumers are considered by Nike to be the tone of sneakerculture defining whats hot and whats not...In the same fashion MOST hyped Nike releases (Yeezys, Foams, Limited Collabo's etc) make there way there its only right to have the blue boxes show up....Now...Dunks will NEVER be release there as Nike would be putting them selves in direct competition with Sneakershops and the Supremes, Hufs, DQM's of the world would object..P-rods..Janaskis...they can be sold there and the new CCS stores popping up..but No Bueno on the dunks..cause...ike dude said...SB accounts are expensive...

A big reason that Nike only sells the SB line in skate shops is because of their original attempt at the skate industry. Back in 1997, Nike used Bam Margera as the face of Nike Skateboarding. They made some truly awful shoes, and had a line of commercials that they aired that summer in support of them. 
The skate industry/world was in no way ready for Nike in 1997. I remember lots of fellow skaters at the time thought that the devil was trying to break into our world. My local shop owner laughed at the attempt when brought up in conversation. In 1997, skateboarding wasn't a bunch of hypebeasts, and trendy posers. 

When Nike SB started up 2001/2002, they brought in someone that knew the industry and realized that skateboarders have a huge appetite for footwear. Especially clean simple old school footwear. I remember kids in Boston were eating up the Dunk retroes in 1999/2000. Nike telling the shops that the shoes were exclusive to skate shops was just another way to get some credibility. 

Before Nelly, and every other rapper alive was wearing Air Force Ones, Harold Hunter was rocking them in the Zoo York Mixtape which released in 1997. 

I remember the commercials as well. They tried to compare skateboarding to tennis in one of them. They put posts on a tennis court so that you could not play. 

A big reason that Nike only sells the SB line in skate shops is because of their original attempt at the skate industry. Back in 1997, Nike used Bam Margera as the face of Nike Skateboarding. They made some truly awful shoes, and had a line of commercials that they aired that summer in support of them. 
The skate industry/world was in no way ready for Nike in 1997. I remember lots of fellow skaters at the time thought that the devil was trying to break into our world. My local shop owner laughed at the attempt when brought up in conversation. In 1997, skateboarding wasn't a bunch of hypebeasts, and trendy posers. 

When Nike SB started up 2001/2002, they brought in someone that knew the industry and realized that skateboarders have a huge appetite for footwear. Especially clean simple old school footwear. I remember kids in Boston were eating up the Dunk retroes in 1999/2000. Nike telling the shops that the shoes were exclusive to skate shops was just another way to get some credibility. 

Before Nelly, and every other rapper alive was wearing Air Force Ones, Harold Hunter was rocking them in the Zoo York Mixtape which released in 1997. 

I remember the commercials as well. They tried to compare skateboarding to tennis in one of them. They put posts on a tennis court so that you could not play. 

Originally Posted by Ayipapi

6.0 mergeing with SB would be like Nike Basketball merging with Jordan Brand...its two very different divisions with two very different agendas....
huh?

jordan brand didn't exist till 1998 and if anything nike basketball has done more with that line (jordan 1-13) than it has done for itself (hybrids, quality is basura now)

Originally Posted by Ayipapi

6.0 mergeing with SB would be like Nike Basketball merging with Jordan Brand...its two very different divisions with two very different agendas....
huh?

jordan brand didn't exist till 1998 and if anything nike basketball has done more with that line (jordan 1-13) than it has done for itself (hybrids, quality is basura now)

I believe Nike SB will release the older colorways again, but now they won't get the "nicknames."

I believe Nike SB will release the older colorways again, but now they won't get the "nicknames."

airpeters01 wrote:
Word is they will start to retro sb's next year in limited quickstrike numbers.
Do you have a legitimate source (link) or are you just talking out of your $++ again?

Back
Top Bottom