Wine Help

I'm looking to get some employees a bottle of wine for Christmas in the range of $20-30. Does anyone have any recommendations? I know the secretary is a big wine drinker but I don't have a clue about wine at all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ribero del duero condado de haza, 2006 or 2007 whichever vintage u can find. great spanish wine, around 30 bucks, i've seen it at both wegmans and whole foods.
1039486x.jpg

Not a wine guy myself, but my in-laws are big wine drinkers, and actually started their own vineyard a few years back. Their favorite bottle in that price range is Decoy.

But just a thought and if it's available to you, they swear by this stuff called "2 Buck Chuck"; it's sold exclusively through Trader Joes I believe. It's like $3 a bottle, real name is Charles Shaw. It's all they talk about with their wine drinking friends, so I assume it must be good stuff. My father in-law is over the top about time spent traveling and in the car etc. but we've literally driven 100+ miles out of our way on trips so he can hit up a trader joe's and stock up on this stuff by the cases.

^two buck chuck is the biggest joke in the wine world lol. buying 2buckchuck is like buying box wine, as a matter of fact its owned by the same company (franzia). i remember hearing a story about how charles shaw wines became so cheap because airlines couldn't use use corkscrews anymore and had to get rid of all their wine stock. 

For the holidays, you can't go wrong with a moscato. It's a desert/after dinner wine and is sweeter than all the rest. The flavors in the wine really stick out, and it is slightly carbonated which adds another level to it.
Make sure you get the moscato in the blue bottle. I'll try and find the one I always have on hand and add the name. The bottle is around $12-$15 depending on where you get it from. I ASSURE you that you'll get compliments after the holidays for how great it is.

Wine can be polarizing to all types of wine drinkers. Some people prefer dry vs. sweet, red vs. white, certain grapes over others. Getting a moscato cuts out a lot of the pretension because of what it is.

Originally Posted by JayHood23

$10 bottle of Moscato and you're good
i disagree.  i think its too narrow in focus if youre goin with Moscato.  Isnt Moscato more of a dessert wine?  A lot of people (myself included) drink a good bit of wine, but dont really mess with dessert wines.  Dessert time means Bourbon, not wine.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

i disagree.  i think its too narrow in focus if youre goin with Moscato.  Isnt Moscato more of a dessert wine?  A lot of people (myself included) drink a good bit of wine, but dont really mess with dessert wines.  Dessert time means Bourbon, not wine.

Moscato is generally a dessert wine.  As soon as Drake started talking about it, suddenly everyone is on Moscato.  To real wine drinkers you look foolish pullin out that bottle on the regular.  That wine is very limited, and if you're sitting and sipping that on the regular, you're missing out HEAVILY. 
For the white wine... look for a good Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, or potentially a blend of Chardonnay Pinot Noir. 

For the red I'm more a fan of Cabernet Sauvignon.  

Also, never be afraid to ask someone in the store what's popular, what tastes good and what they recommend. 

Stella Rosa Red or Stella Rosa Bianco.

Moscato is for the birds. Once you go to a wine tour and then into a social setting where people are ordering moscato with a steak, you wonder if Drake or another rapper said to eat feces, most would.

Like my man above me said...Pinot is pretty good white.

If you're buying for women...try a ROSE...I tried some in france and it was really good and goes well with light meals.

Who the hell drinks moscato WITH dinner? It's an after meal wine.

If he decides on a red or a white, chances are half of his staff might regift it or not drink it at all. Some people just dont like heavy wines and some people just dont like sweet wines. Wine is a tricky gift to give if you don't know what the person's preference is.

any spanish,argentine,chilean red for the win. you can get them cheap and are always good quality. french and italian are good too but have found their quality in the lower price range isnt equal to the spanish and argentines.
i enjoy a whole lot of malbec
tempranillo too

dont mess with whites

Originally Posted by mieraviking

any spanish,argentine,chilean red for the win. you can get them cheap and are always good quality. french and italian are good too but have found their quality in the lower price range isnt equal to the spanish and argentines.
i enjoy a whole lot of malbec
tempranillo too

dont mess with whites
i think we have similar tastes.  ive been drinking more malbecs as of late myself, and also messin with a bit of tempranillo.

i prefer whites when the weather is warmer out, so most of my whites stay in the wine fridge until summer rolls around.

Wings and fried rice I'm too hood to fine dine
I cop a MD 20/20 no time for fine wine

-MonStar

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

As soon as Drake started talking about it, suddenly everyone is on Moscato.

I don't know why I'm even in this thread, but this made me
laugh.gif
, followed by
30t6p3b.gif

Get bottles of 2006-2008 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.

Some decent, well known & widely available brands are beringer, mondavi, starmont.

My dad is a wine dealer, yet I have a long list of wines that I don't like. a short list of wines that are tolerable, and no list for wines I actually like
laugh.gif

Hopefully I acquire a taste for it one day.

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Moscato is generally a dessert wine.  As soon as Drake started talking about it, suddenly everyone is on Moscato.  To real wine drinkers you look foolish pullin out that bottle on the regular.  That wine is very limited, and if you're sitting and sipping that on the regular, you're missing out HEAVILY. 
For the white wine... look for a good Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, or potentially a blend of Chardonnay Pinot Noir. 

For the red I'm more a fan of Cabernet Sauvignon.  

Also, never be afraid to ask someone in the store what's popular, what tastes good and what they recommend. 

With cheese & wine, i always go to a reputable seller or specialty grocer for guidance. I know enough about both to give an idea of what I'm looking for (soft, mild, fruity cheese...crisp, dry white...mild red, light on tannins...price range, etc) to walk out of the store with the perfect selection.

Back
Top Bottom