Wizards fans Should we really think of trading Arenas?

As you can tell from my avi I'm a big Arenas fan but a BIGGER Wizards fan...just wanted to throw it out their that if
the team is around .500 when he returns and the way Caron has been playing and the team playing
as a team sharing the ball and our young guys stepping up should the orginization really think of moving
him for a big man or do you hope adding him to the mix won't mess up the chemistry.

We'll gladly give you Kwame back and Odom for him
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

why would anyone try to trade when hes just gonna be a free agent this offseason

i'm not completely against it anymore... Caron is really the best player on the Wiz anyways

Arenas is great but if we can get a couple players with some good, young talent, i'd rather have that.

Hmmm....good question. I've said it before, but if this team can play around .500 ball and be in contention for the 6-8 seed in the playoffs by the timeGil returns, then we will be in good shape. It's funny how things work sometimes. Gil said he was going to opt out and seek a max deal, but to me it seemslike (pardon the pun) the ball is in Ernie Grunfeld's hands. What kind of deal would you be willing to give a guy coming off of 2 major knee injuries inless than 12 months? Caron is the heart and soul of the team, and there is no question as he goes, so do the Wizards. I love what Gil can bring to the tablewhen healthy. But if Gil has lost considerable explosiveness, then his biggest strength (his first step) will become a weakness. Sure, even on one good kneeGil could average 20+, but there are going to be a lot of things to consider as he gets closer to his return. I like what I have seen out of Haywood, so Idon't know if we really need to add a "true" 5, and besides, who exactly is available who could do a better job than Todd? I think I would rathersee someone come in at the 3 spot who can be a reliable defender who we could sometimes throw in the low post to defend 4's as well (anyone available whocould fill that void?). What has been overlooked is the way that Antonio Daniels has run the team in Gil's absence. He opened some eyes last year in thelast couple games of the season and the playoffs. I like him better as a starter than coming off of the bench. We are getting some good scoring from NY (and Itotally misjudged his talent), and it seems like we got a nice pick at #16. I don't know if there is anyone who is available who would make that much moreof an impact. I say just wait it out and see where we are by Feb. As far as the offseason, we will most-likely re-sign Gil to a little less than the max dealhe is seeking.

Yes. As much as I like him, the Wiz don't need a shoot-first point guard with guys like Jamison and Butler who can easily put up big numbers. If we had aChris Paul type PG on our team we'd be so much better off.

When do you guys think Arenas will be back this season? If at all?

February

If we had a Chris Paul type PG on our team we'd be so much better off.

He's nowhere near the talent of Chris Paul, but I think Antonio Daniels runs the team very well when starting.

In his last 5 (i'm not sure when he took over for Gil), he's averaging 10/4/6 and shooting over 50% from the floor...that is EXACTLY what this teamneeds from the 1 spot. The only thing is AD is getting up there in age. He will be 33 before the season is up.

gil needs to go to a team that is in desperate need of a star...

he might end up with minnesota, new york, or possibly reunite with jason richardson in charlotte if he's not a wizard next year

Originally Posted by McFlyer

why would anyone try to trade when hes just gonna be a free agent this offseason
A team could want some cap room in the offseason or to make a late season push.

Washington should really look into trading Arenas. This team is very thin in the front court and desperately needs a center to even be considered an elite inthe Eastern Conference

As a Laker fan I would gladly give up Odom and Crittenton for Gil just to have his contract off the books this summer.

Doublej's your right on point with daniels being better as a starter people forget that he started in seattle for 2 years and had decent numbersIdon't know I just feel like Caron has been waiting for the opportunity to be the man on this team and now that he isI don't think he can give it backhe is having a career year and has been consistant since the start of the season
like you said daniels is a pass first defensive point but he needs the ball in his hands and he makes better decisions
I see the whole teams confidence going up with each game played especially Blatche,Mason and NY
but I guess we will see their are not too many players out their that would make sense with this team maybe
a Jermaine O'neil paired with Haywood might make some sense but he can't stay healthy.

i would not mind anymore..but isnt he opting out at the end of this year but if wqe can trade him for a high draft pick its possibly time to rebuild an prayand hope we can bring beaseley back home..but thats a dream

Originally Posted by henz0

Ellis & Wright for Arenas..

eek.gif
@ a backcourt of davis n arenas

now that would be THE backcourt. and with the uptempo style, imagine gilbert tossing up 25, hell maybe even 30 shots a game.

I'd have to say the Wiz need to try and trade him and get something in return since he's said he's just gonna leave when his contract isup.......unless he's backed off those comments?

yes.

trading gil could bring in a solid young player and a veteran to distribute the ball to antawn and caron

essentially gil is like dylan from da band, he could either make the song, or not make the song

either way, the song is gonna get made, which is being shown by the wiz staying decent through his absence

get a real big and a point for gil=good move

Originally Posted by AROCflight

Originally Posted by McFlyer

A team could want some cap room in the offseason or to make a late season push.

Washington should really look into trading Arenas. This team is very thin in the front court and desperately needs a center to even be considered an elite in the Eastern Conference

exactly. remember what Milwaukee did when they traded ray allen for gp?

as for arenas, i think washington would be so much better with a jason kidd type of pg instead of a scoring pg, & arenas could go somewhere where hecould be the superstar of his team. its hard to win with those type of pg's

I'd have to say the Wiz need to try and trade him and get something in return since he's said he's just gonna leave when his contract is up

He has said over and over, that although he is going to opt out at the end of the season, re-signing w. Washington is a top priority. Like I said before, Idon't know how things have changed due to his knee injuries. For a guy who relies on speed and quickness, 2 major knee surgeries in under a year is a hugedeal. I don't even know if trading Gil is at the top of the priority list. If anything, trade him to a team who is most likely going to be in the lotteryfor a 1st. There has to be a GM who would be willing to do this. I don't know if a damaged Gilbert Arenas would bring back a future first AND an emergingstar, but you just never know. On top of this all, is the impending departure of Antawn Jamison. I would love to see the Wiz bring him back as a starter foranother year, then hand the keys over to Blatche. For a guy who isn't the most athletic in the world, he could still put up 20/10 as a 33-34 year oldforward. He plays an ugly game, but it's effecive. On the defensive end, that's a nother story. He's softer than Pat White in a big game.

Let me ask you all...REALISTICALLY, what do you think the Wizards could get for Gil? What game-ready big men are available? I'm not talking about BrandanWright, because if we get someone like that in return for Gil, that is almost like taking a step or two backwards due to how much of a project he actually is.

Back
Top Bottom