***WOMEN'S HOOPS THREAD*** Congrats, UNDEFEATED SOUTH CAROLINA! Congrats, LAS VEGAS ACES!

I hope Zia makes the team a lot of comp on the team, the Dream building a nice team.

I’m gonna try to keep up with the season. I just never know then the games are on. NBA gotta promote them better.

You gotta throw the entire 2021 draft away

How are these ladies getting waived as top or recent draft picks?

Like how do you get picked 13 in April and then get waived 5 weeks later?

Looked up the answer - they need expansion

In the NFL or NBA, a first- or second-round draft pick not making a team’s roster is huge news.

But in the WNBA, it’s just another day.

With just 12 teams and 12 spots on each of those squads, roster slots are coveted and sacred. And extremely talented players get squeezed out all of the time. There just isn’t enough room.

Tuesday was the latest example (and no, we’re not talking about the findings from the investigation into the Las Vegas Aces).

Two of the most high-profile players waived were Brea Beal and Destanni Henderson, who helped South Carolina win a national championship last year. Henderson was entering her second season in the league after averaging 5.3 points and 2.5 assists per game as a rookie with the Indiana Fever. And Beal – who was widely considered to be one of the college game’s top defenders during her time as a Gamecock – was beginning her first season with the Minnesota Lynx after they drafted her 24th overall.

Another roster casualty on Tuesday was DiDi Richards, a New York Liberty fan favorite who made the WNBA’s All-Rookie team in 2021. And the Los Angeles Sparks waived Iowa’s Monika Czinano, the 26th overall pick in this year’s draft after a national title game appearance.

And on Monday, the Dallas Wings waived Abby Meyers – the Maryland guard who was drafted 11th overall just weeks ago.

Cont':

"The audience and appetite is there for WNBA expansion. Just this past Sunday, the league held a preseason game in Toronto where more than 19,000 fans showed up, making it the sixth-highest attended game in WNBA history.

If Toronto got a team tomorrow, it could round-up these recently-released players and have a pretty decent squad. A starting five of Abby Meyers, DiDi Richards, Destanni Henderson, Brea Beal and Monika Czinano would have won a whole lot of games in college. Throw in other recently waived veterans, like Stephanie Jones, Alexis Peterson, Reshanda Gray, Crystal Bradford and Nia Clouden, and this make-believe team might be pretty competitive."

My thoughts

There flat out isn’t an enough teams.
League size means the 11th pick isn’t like the 11th pick in a NFL or NBA sized league. That’s really like going in the 4th round of the NFL

Ladies are like 22 or 23 when they come out of college so the likelihood of me banking on your upside is low. Add to that the league holds onto the kristi tollivers as long as they can.

Some of it is just bad scouting too.

My thoughts

There flat out isn’t an enough teams.
League size means the 11th pick isn’t like the 11th pick in a NFL or NBA sized league. That’s really like going in the 4th round of the NFL

Ladies are like 22 or 23 when they come out of college so the likelihood of me banking on your upside is low. Add to that the league holds onto the kristi tollivers as long as they can.

Some of it is just bad scouting too.
Expansion is definitely needed

But the teams are kinda in a bad spot when they pick players to help market their brand. Players like Kysre who is bad at basketball but got a very marketable look (Chelsea Dungee etc)

In the case of Didi Richards, can’t really help that JJ and Stewie got added to the roster

Expansion is definitely needed

But the teams are kinda in a bad spot when they pick players to help market their brand. Players like Kysre who is bad at basketball but got a very marketable look (Chelsea Dungee etc)

In the case of Didi Richards, can’t really help that JJ and Stewie got added to the roster
That liberty roster is OD. Marianne johannes would start for 3 teams right now.

And d henny belongs in the league. I don’t expect her to be at home the whole season

That liberty roster is OD. Marianne johannes would start for 3 teams right now.

And d henny belongs in the league. I don’t expect her to be at home the whole season
I’m conflicted on Henny. The Fever are idiots and have been going with journeywoman vets over youth, but Henderson’s also wasn’t that impressive in the stretches I saw her last year.

Richards is mid. Expansion is def needed though

I’m conflicted on Henny. The Fever are idiots and have been going with journeywoman vets over youth, but Henderson’s also wasn’t that impressive in the stretches I saw her last year.

Richards is mid. Expansion is def needed though
I thought henny was showing signs at the end of the year. At least enough to stick around. Like they were playing Danielle Robinson the last month or two when it was way out of hand for them

I thought henny was showing signs at the end of the year. At least enough to stick around. Like they were playing Danielle Robinson the last month or two when it was way out of hand for them
Yea the Danielle Robinson **** drives me and my sisters crazy :lol:. She’s terrible. Looks like she’s gone and they’re expecting Lexie Hull to play this year, but she was AWFUL last year. Way worse than Henny

Back
Top Bottom