Word Maryland ...

Cops in Maryland are quickly cutting down on their time spent running license plates by using what are called automatic license plate readers (ALPR). These nifty devices scan your plates automatically and check for insurance, validity, and other key safety issues. This is all well and good, according to civil liberties watchdog, the ACLU, but what they do with said information has the ACLU up in arms.

The ACLU has growing concerns with how long the information is retained in these ALPRs and worries that this ever-rowing data may eventually allow the government to precisely predict every move you make. So for all of you conspiracy theorists that think the gummament is watchin’ ya, this is just another nugget to keep in your head.

In a released statement, the ACLU says:

“If license plate scans, which are typically stamped with a location, time, and date, were used just for these purposes and deleted shortly thereafter, privacy concerns would be minimal to non-existent. After all, police can run license plates against these databases themselves. ALPR technology simply cuts down on the time and manpower required to perform these functions on a large scale.

The privacy issues arise with the retention of the information. A police officer will not forever remember the exact location and time of an innocent motorist’s travels. With ALPR technology, those details can be stored indefinitely, creating an ever-growing historical record of the daily comings and goings of every Marylander. As ALPRs become more ubiquitous and that record becomes longer and more detailed, it will become possible for the government to determine a person’s exact movements during any given time period.”

However, the police taking records of our license plate activity is one of the more primitive tracking devices that the government has access to in order to track us. There are many more active and precise devices that we all use on a daily basis that allows the government to keep tabs on us.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...er-ways-big-brother-is-watching-ar133561.html

Word.

And I personally don't see the problem. Ain't no such thing as confidentiality and privacy anymore...

But neither am I *ever* riding dirty in this day and time, so, tomato/tomatoe.....

Damn, and I thought those speed cameras were bad enough...

Between no radar detectors allowed in VA, the speed cameras in MD/DC, and now this... they really tryin to catch you.

The only thing I have to help now is Waze.

Word.

And I personally don't see the problem. Ain't no such thing as confidentiality and privacy anymore...

But neither am I *ever* riding dirty in this day and time, so, tomato/tomatoe.....

Doesn't make it right.

reason why im seeing a lot more stops than usual?

Yup ..

they just play the waiting game ..

Esp if thats your normal route ..

It tracks you .. keeps a record of what time you go by there.

Word.

you missing the point g.

Once they scan your "regular" route, and you're somewhere you don't normally go, then it's "what are you doing here buddy? You don't work out here..."

Many of us ride with cell phones that can do the same thing, but many don't do the same.

It's more than riding without a license or being late with your insurance. It's following your whole whole pattern of life. Peep the movie "Minority Report" for a sample.

yea i read this crap in the gazette. I've been seeing way more stops than the norm. cops being able to track our driving patterns kind of pisses me off

Back
Top Bottom