Working a 9-5 sucks hOW DO PEOPLE DO THIS

this has been occupying my thoughts a lot lately.

I'm fairly intelligent (gotten As in calculus, physics, chemistry) but I look around my classes and I'm really nothing like anyone around me.

I'm rebellious, anti-authoritariran, different (like many people who were into kicks back in the day,) and I'm real/genuine to a fault.

i really wish I'd gone to school for music production (i already DJ house music and rapping comes pretty easily to me.) and another dream is doing observational/satirical comedy. but i'm way too scared of being in front of people and failing.

i'm gunna make good money when i'm done with school and have another side hustle in correspondence with it, but it bugs me that i'm not like anyone in my classes or in the field i'm in school for.

Last edited:
i just got a call about a career opportunity at my job..

this is weird as hell considering i was just thinking about what in the world i was going to do when my job REALLY slows down.

my boss basically called and asked about my background in live audio, i explained to him that all my stuff was recorded but that i could learn.

im so damn happy, i bust my *** at all my jobs, 

there were other dudes who he could've picked that have degrees and whatnot but i think he went with someone who he could mold,

most of these college dudes and older heads dont like to listen to new ideas or criticism and are stuck in their own ways.

i have no schooling but my work ethic is superb, whether i am flipping pizzas or w/e i treat it as if the boss is watching and i need it to survive.

my first job making pizzas, i ended up opening the buffet by myself and working the register. 

my job as a stagehand i ended up working the audio booth

movie theatre sweeping up popcorn and working the concession stand, becoming the head projectionist and i received 401k, stock options and health insurance.

im so damn happy..

dont let anyone get in your way of thinking you cant do something, you can do whatever the hell you want, whenever.

Currently work at a grocery store. Hate it with a passion but I am grateful that I am employed. I would like to find a 9-5. Gotta get back in school and finish. :smh: :smh: :smh:
What sucks too though is I feel just lost in the world.
Anyone feel me on this?

3G28

Last edited:
Reactions: Ube
Same boat as you op. Finished in May and working the 40. Beats the heck out of sitting at home all day though plus we have a chill office

****, I do 11pm-11am 6 days week working in injection mold for ford. Talk about boring. thank god for netflix.

Your life must suck.....I hope you get paid real good an have plans. How long is this gonna happen for? You gotta live man. Life short.

I need to find my passion and turn it into a bearable career. Like someone above me said, it's terrible feeling to be lost and have no idea what you want to do. If I could go back in time, I would have waited even longer to get my BS.

I work in Probation... I like working with kids and no 2 days are alike.... Working 8:30-5 or 9-5 except on Tuesdays... Tuesdays I do curfew monitoring with the police... I get paid OT so i dont mind... I like what I do...You just have to find out what it is that you like to do.

I work in Probation... I like working with kids and no 2 days are alike.... Working 8:30-5 or 9-5 except on Tuesdays... Tuesdays I do curfew monitoring with the police... I get paid OT so i dont mind... I like what I do...You just have to find out what it is that you like to do.
I have a BS in Criminal Justice and have been trying to be a Probation Officer for 5+ years. It's damn near impossible to get into the field in Boston, even with a Bachelor's AND 5+ years of experience working with juvenile offenders. Not even a very respectable starting salary ($50K), but it's something I know I'd find interesting. Any states (worth relocating to) hiring that you know of?

I just took a 60 page civil service exam for Parole in hopes of at least getting a call back down the road.

Last edited:
My roommate/ friend is funding a food truck. Me and my friend who runs one of the best kitchens in the area are in charge. Shooting to own a small restaurant within a few years.

I work for someone now. I just couldn't my whole life. You Learn that quick in my field. Own a restaurant or run one. Only way you'll get paid as a cook. Hell I work 50 hours a week now to help my chef but my checks never break 1k every other week. :lol:
But aren't you still tied down in terms of having to cater to your customers? Plus once you get established, isn't the day-to-day aspect going to get redundant?

i think corporate culture creates a morale deficiency among 9-5ers...dress codes, rigid hours, crappy work environments, corporate bureaucracies only add to the malaise lots of 9-5ers feel.

the company i work for is super casual for dress, great on flex time, and supplied workers with laptops to work from home...

...however, the office isnt the best environment and things between my immediate managers moves slow, sometimes taking months to get suggestions/initiatives out...by the time they actually address it in their meetings, ill have forgotten about it or have no interest in pursuing it anymore just because the motivation isnt there

I have a BS in Criminal Justice and have been trying to be a Probation Officer for 5+ years. It's damn near impossible to get into the field in Boston, even with a Bachelor's AND 5+ years of experience working with juvenile offenders. Not even a very respectable starting salary ($50K), but it's something I know I'd find interesting. Any states (worth relocating to) hiring that you know of?

I just took a 60 page civil service exam for Parole in hopes of at least getting a call back down the road.
TN or Michigan. Nashville lots of probation jobs and if you want to be a correction guard(sheriff) for the jail you are 100% guarenteed to get the job

TN or Michigan. Nashville lots of probation jobs and if you want to be a correction guard(sheriff) for the jail you are 100% guarenteed to get the job

Its hard, in MD, we had to take an exam to be placed on the list.... then they pull from the list for an interview.. After the 1st round, you go back in for Fingerprint, Backgroud Check, Drug Test and Psychological Exam.... Afterward you get the job but wait for a start date... it took me 5 months total to start...

It pays pretty decent here in the DC Area, but DC Probation pays more of course being that its on a Federal Pay Scale, and they honor experience, and your Masters degree...

Keep at it man.. If not look into other areas such as corrections or relocation...

Your life must suck.....I hope you get paid real good an have plans. How long is this gonna happen for? You gotta live man. Life short.
lol you sound like my boys. its not as bad as you think. Extra 10% shift premium helps lol We have quarterly shift bumps, I have decent seniority, so I usually do midnights during the fall and winter months and switch to days come spring and summmer. So its all good.
I hear ya, man.

I hate when people say be thankful for your job, obviosly they hate it and it drains the aura of the soul to do something that takes up so much of your time....

I just can't find myself adapting the mentality that "something is better than nothing, and I should be happy about it." I don't like the idea of settling with something I'm uncomfortable with.

Right now, I do just over 40 a week, working on average from 7-5 on weekdays, and really hate it. The monotony of everything that takes place from the moment I wake up doesn't help. I plan on leaving within the next six months. It's not even the pay that bothers me; I would like to find something that pays better, but if I were to find something that pays a little less, that didn't drive me mad like this job, I'd take it in an instant.

I had my mind set on going into Elementary Education, but am not too sure I want to take that route anymore. I do have plans to go into another field that I think I'd find a lot more enjoyable than what I'm doing, or what being a teacher could possibly offer me.

i started buying music equipment when i first started as a stagehand, i copped samplers and also read up on them prior to making my purchases,

these jobs just required you to know the basic ins and outs in regards to input and output, its been cool to see how these live shows happen.

sound engineer was always the thing i wanted to do but i have just been working all i can and do want to go to school for it, its not neccesary but it really helps to have that under your belt in this proffesion, i used a yamaha m7 console at my old job, i replaced a person who had gone to school for 6 years for audio but in the end they were just lazy.

some of the people that ive met that have degrees in theatre also sucked and were so set in their ways that they wouldn't listen to advice especially coming from someone who didnt go to college, in the end those are the types of people that ruined my job as a stagehand, the theatre first started out by hiring locals. basically they needed muscle and people to move large set pieces, but with hiring people locally you had to deal with people getting arrested on their days off, coming back from lunch breaks drunk or high, the ish i saw there was crazy but we all did our jobs.after a couple of years they cut the locals out and eventually started bringing in these nerds from all around, they were mostly from the midwest. these kids would stand around a set piece for 10 mins discussing what the best way would be to move it 
indifferent.gif
..that place is now closing after 22 years.

there is some mixing involved in the live shows i have worked but for the most part all of our faders were preset in the console so when we triggered a scene the faders would go to their spot, i still plan on going to school or at least getting an audio technician certification, i would love to work in a studio, thats the next thing i want to do.

like i told someone thru PM, you just gotta get your foot in the door, when i started as a stagehand i was basically moving furniture and being a janitor and then they needed someone to give the audio guy a hand running cables i was picked because i was going to school at that time for music, i didnt mention that i was just taking 2 classes at community college,english and reading i also mentioned that i owned some audio equipment too .i eventually ended up running the audio booth on my own during the show a couple years later.

at the movie theatre afterwards i started at the concession stand sweeping up popcorn, but since i was a stagehand before and a hardworker they apporached me about a position as a projectionist, they gave me insurance 401K and i just recently found out 7K worth of stocks that i get to cash out in 2015.

i've only worked 4 jobs so far, i dont want to be one of those people that jumps from job to job, left all my jobs on good terms.

this is what my work experience looks like from 17 to now,im 26, 27 on the 14th.

making pizzas, stagehand,concession stand /projectionist, audio technician/stagehand

all of my jobs i busted my behind, i was 17 working at the pizza place part time, studying for my GED.

i passed my GED, started working fulltime, operating the buffet, taking orders ,running the deep fryer all types of ish.

we all gotta start somewhere.

sorry bout the life story and nothing about mixing and mastering. 
laugh.gif

i own an mpc 2500 and old eps 16+ the asr 10's little brother.

i have always made loops on the side, nobody knows that about me just my close friends.

have tons of records, and would always just fire up the mpc and releasIe some stress,i have been slacking lately also my buttons on the MPC are getting messed up.

i dont have anything on the internet except a 30 sec low quality snippet from 2009.

i dont use computers to make music either, this is all the mpc1000 and a sample.

https://myspace.com/theelectrifyingdeathdefyi/music/song/black-emeralds-36949181-38903721
I work at a concert venue and this sounds normal. I always hear those guys talk about how you dont even need to go to school to work there. it's all hands on experience for the most part. And I'm pretty sure almost all of the sound engineers and other jobs (talking about the people that arent stagehands), started out as stagehands. In this industry you defff have to start from the bottom, all about getting your foot in the door and working hard.

I don't work the production side myself, I work at the bar, but I'm backstage and see everything all the time/know everyone that does. Always see everyone in production just sitting on their ***** though
laugh.gif
. They work long hours but the downtime is insane. And just like you said, a lot of people are high. I would love to work as a stagehand one day, I see what they do and it doesnt even seem like anything, just helping out before and after the sets. If working the bars didnt make more money I would love to work in production

Last edited:
My roommate/ friend is funding a food truck. Me and my friend who runs one of the best kitchens in the area are in charge. Shooting to own a small restaurant within a few years.

I work for someone now. I just couldn't my whole life. You Learn that quick in my field. Own a restaurant or run one. Only way you'll get paid as a cook. Hell I work 50 hours a week now to help my chef but my checks never break 1k every other week. :lol:
But aren't you still tied down in terms of having to cater to your customers? Plus once you get established, isn't the day-to-day aspect going to get redundant?

I don't mind people at all and making them happy. I hate my bosses ideas of how to run a multi million dollar a month restaurant. I want to do stuff my way and I'll get that creative control. This is a chance for me and my friends to make it. Like really make it. We are good now but this could turn into something really big. It's damn scary to think of all the money we spend and have invested but it will be worth it. I'm sick of seeing my gm get five thousand dollar bonuses and line cooks making ten dollars an hour. It's disgusting. I don't need to be part of that crap. I come up with dishes for my job that sell like crazy. I've had one that basically was 50% of the entrees sold for a month and of course they never even gave me props let alone a dime. Sorry for the rant. I'm just sick of making some old man in Seattle rich.

I just can't find myself adapting the mentality that "something is better than nothing, and I should be happy about it." I don't like the idea of settling with something I'm uncomfortable with.

Right now, I do just over 40 a week, working on average from 7-5 on weekdays, and really hate it. The monotony of everything that takes place from the moment I wake up doesn't help. I plan on leaving within the next six months. It's not even the pay that bothers me; I would like to find something that pays better, but if I were to find something that pays a little less, that didn't drive me mad like this job, I'd take it in an instant.

I had my mind set on going into Elementary Education, but am not too sure I want to take that route anymore. I do have plans to go into another field that I think I'd find a lot more enjoyable than what I'm doing, or what being a teacher could possibly offer me.
I'm with you on this bro. I have no idea how people can remain in careers when they are absolutely miserable for 20+ years. It's mind boggling. I think a big part of it must boil down to having a family and mouths to feed. I'm more interested in making a comfortable amount of money doing something I can tolerate (hopefully love) as opposed to selling my soul to make $200K+/year.

As far as Elementary Ed, it's a good gig. My best friend has been teaching the 3rd grade since 2007. A lot of it depends on the group of kids you get stuck with, but it's hard to complain when you have Summer, Thanksgiving, X-Mas/Feb/April vacations + all the Monday holidays and Jewish Holidays. All that spare time will allow you to pursue other things as well.

I don't work 9-5. I think id prefer 9-5 now. I'm a realtor and I work on call a lot of the times. No weekends off.

Back
Top Bottom