Would this work? vol. Red Lights

sorry... but if you don't think would be able to notice those bars on a green light while driving at 35-40 mph... then you need to up yourdriving/attention skills

Some cities have the walk/don't walk w/countdown timers...those are pretty good...

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

sorry... but if you don't think would be able to notice those bars on a green light while driving at 35-40 mph... then you need to up your driving/attention skills

why would you put it on the green? even when the green changes to yellow you can still go through. this is pointless

Originally Posted by f3DJam

sorry... but if you don't think would be able to notice those bars on a green light while driving at 35-40 mph... then you need to up your driving/attention skills

why would you put it on the green? even when the green changes to yellow you can still go through. this is pointless

that was my point...if you see green, it means GO...Noone is anticipating the yellow light....

In my area the Pedestrian crossing lights have timers when they start flashing. I use those go guide if I will make a green light or not.

The point is to give drivers even more advanced notice than the measely 3 seconds a yellow does...just like the cross walks that count down.

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

that was my point...if you see green, it means GO...Noone is anticipating the yellow light....
That's exactly the point... with the green rings a driver would BETTER be able to know -- at his rate of speed and the distance to the light-- if he would be able to make it through the intersection.
...just like that vid Purple posted.

putting it on the yellow is pointless given
1. it's already short duration
2. what yellow is supposed to indicate -- which is to NOT speed up and go through the intersection, but rather stop (if you can)

The point is to give drivers even more advanced notice than the measely 3 seconds a yellow does...just like the cross walks that count down.

exactly, its 3 seconds...if you see it change you can make it. if its stale, you should anticipate that your gonna have to stop. or just gun it

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

I think its ridiculous that they have cameras that can give you a ticket, but cant come up with something that tells the light that there isnt people coming from the other way and it doesnt have to stay green for 5 minutes. I hate waiting at a red light when there is nobody coming from the other directions.

exactly, its 3 seconds...if you see it change you can make it. if its stale, you should anticipate that your gonna have to stop. or just gun it
it's on average 3 seconds -- it varies depending on the speed limit of the road.

The yellow is already the default warning...it doesn't need a countdown on it....but by putting it on the green would give drivers MORE notice of how muchtime is left...thus giving BETTER advanced notice on their decision to stop or go through.....I don't see how you don't comprehend this.

ya, putting it on the green would be best. If they put it on the yellow, alot of times that would just encourage drivers to speed up and try to make it, orgive them an idea of 'how much faster i needa be going to make this yellow light', which wouldn't really increase safety
ohwell.gif

it's on average 3 seconds -- it varies depending on the speed limit of the road.

The yellow is already the default warning...it doesn't need a countdown on it....but by putting it on the green would give drivers MORE notice of how much time is left...thus giving BETTER advanced notice on their decision to stop or go through.....I don't see how you don't comprehend this.

Dont get me wrong I get it, but its useless to me. to me the yellow is the "countdown" for the green.

when its green you go, when you see it turn yellow you know if or not you can make it. anybody should be able to decide this.

but im a good driver so thats just me

Putting it on green seems pointless, if your close enough to reliably look at the bars then your probably close enough to drive through before it goes pastyellow.

Trust me I hate traffic lights ie: being stuck at one or always hitting reds (happened to me the whole way home yesterday!!) but I really think they are fineas they currently are.

Put in on red. How many times do we sit at red lights wondering when this damn thing is gonna change?

...I can multitask when I drive... noticing a green ring around a light while still paying attention to the road and other drivers is easy in my book.

and really... there's no financial or safety incentive to make this for red lights...just to let people know how long they'll be waiting?

putting it on the green would make more sense since in theory...it adds to safety by warning drivers of how long before the light changes.

ps. The usefulness of lights like this would probably make sense only at limited speeds -- 35-45 MPH residential roads.
You can just look at the walk/don't walk signs on the side to determine when the light will turn yellow.

Back
Top Bottom