WP article: Secret surveillance of ‘suspicious’ blacks in one of the nation’s poshest neighborhoods

**** like this is infuriating. No one is even committing a crime but based on skin tone, the assumption of deviance is expected.

We make all these strides for excellence and even subconsciously acceptance, to still be treated like criminals. 

Saw this article this morning on Twitter. Not even shocked anymore at this point. What they are doing to us is wrong, but nothing is going to change this stuff is deep rooted. Move into our cities and neighborhoods, and treat us like we are the ones who don't belong and haven't been here forever.

That is quite shocking. Surely it is a violation of U.S. law?

Technically speaking, yes. However, if you read the article, you'll see that police officers frequently use the GroupMe chat to offer assistance as well.

The only thing new about this is the medium they use to communicate.

Wasn't surprising. Going to a wealthy neighborhood as a demographic member that doesn't reside there will always raise eyebrows because you don't belong. Shopping at these establishments only makes them more suspicious regardless of how much money you have. Dude who bought multiple suits from Suitsupply was targeted. Suitsupply isn't cheap, but yet because of his skin tone he drew suspicions. People think that Blacks make this stuff up. They'll follow me in a suit before they follow a white cat.

“Suspicious shoppers in store,” an American Apparel retailer said in April last year. “3 female. 1 male strong smell of weed. All African American. Help please.”

“What did they look like?” a True Religion employee in May last year asked an American Apparel retailer who had reported a theft. “Ratchet,” the American Apparel worker replied, using a slang term for trashy that often has a racial connotation. “Lol.”

*Sigh*

Wasn't surprising. Going to a wealthy neighborhood as a demographic member that doesn't reside there will always raise eyebrows because you don't belong. Shopping at these establishments only makes them more suspicious regardless of how much money you have. Dude who bought multiple suits from Suitsupply was targeted. Suitsupply isn't cheap, but yet because of his skin tone he drew suspicions. People think that Blacks make this stuff up. They'll follow me in a suit before they follow a white cat.
So what if they live there? There are some wealthy black people that live in Georgetown . What if you were living in the neighborhood before they moved in. This is happening all over DC.

I never said that they didn't live there. I was speaking in general about those parts of town.

Not shocked at all, when I was a teen and applied to work at American Outfitters store in North Park, they told me they had code words for people that don't belong or didn't fit the "AO look" :rolleyes . That person would basically be monitored.

The young me, never showed up for a second day and took no further action. :smh:

Spent a good amount of time out on M street near Georgetown when visiting my (now) ex when she was working on her masters and it is a posh area. Nothing but rich college kids and boutiques so I can totally see how any black person stood out and it made them a person of interest regardless of what they were doing. Hardly any people of color in that area.

Most disheartening bit about this most of the people working there and posting these stupid *** messages are likely Georgetown students working part time; Their degree from a prestigious university such as Georgetown will put them in a position carry these subconscious (conscious?) stereotypes to other part of society once they get better jobs/ into their careers. :smh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom