Wrestling Thread Sept 20-26 | 9/24 Final Smackdown on MyNetworkTV - New Twist To Kane/Taker Program

Tonight's Raw is a double taping from Indianapolis as the crew is heading to Europe over the next week.  So we will know exactly what to expect from the Raw side of things after tonight is complete.  Yes, there are only week between Night of Champions and Hell in a Cell, and both shows will be taped tonight for Raw.  The Smackdown crew is staying here, so at least we'll have two weeks to build the intrigue of another Kane vs Undertaker match.  Anyway, the tapings begin at 6:45pm tonight which means Raw will not be live, so please be careful posting any spoilers here, especially for tonight's show.  Before I go any further, let's have a quick recap of Night of Champions.  I'll rank the matches on a 5* basis.

~Dolph Ziggler d Kofi Kingston to retain the Intercontinental Championship.  It was a dull opener due to the fact that we've seen this match literally 10 times prior.  I can't see how they continue this program any longer. **1/2
~The Big Show d CM Punk.  Punk was so over with his hometown crowd (despite the fact that Jerry Lawler didn't seem to understand this).  Despite his best efforts, the crowd cheered Punk and booed Show throughout.  A nothing 5 minute match that Punk controlled but then was beaten out of nowhere with the knockout punch.  I have to assume this is the blow off to this feud. *1/2
~Daniel Bryan d The Miz to become the new United States Champion.  The match started a little slowly, but once the crowd got into it is was a very good match.  Alex Riley tried to interfere twice, but was knocked out both times.  Bryan won with the Labell Lock after a great struggle from The Miz.  Both men sold the title change big after the match.  This could be a major stepping stone match for both men going forward. ***3/4
~Michelle McCool d Melina to Unified the Divas and Womens Championships.  Just an awful, awful match.  The Lumberjills only made the match worse. *
~Kane d The Undertaker to retain the World Championship.  I hated this match.  I've hated this whole program between the vegetative state and Kane stealing Taker's magical powers bull****.  This feud started 13 years ago and doesn't need to be going on today.  The match dragged and dragged, and the crowd was completely dead.  As much as I hate to say it, The Undertaker looks done to me.  I don't understand how you build a Hell in a Cell match when the champion won clean in the middle of the ring.  **
~Drew McIntyre & Cody Rhodes won a Tag Team Turmoil Match to become the New WWE Tag Team Champions.  Well, this one was certainly stacked against the champions, The Hart Dynasty.  They didn't even let them get one victory as the interchangeable Uso brothers eliminated them.  Then quick "comedy" with Santino to have him eliminated by The Usos.  Henry and Bourne eliminated The Usos next.  Bourne was by far the most over person in the match despite WWE refusing to push him.  And then a slightly longer match with plenty of blown spots with Rhodes and McIntyre coming out on top.  I'm dreading have to watch McIntyre on Raw.  You guys can say what you want, but the man is so boring.  **1/2
~Randy Orton won the Six Pack Challenge to become the new WWE Champion.  The order of eliminations were Jericho by Orton.  Edge by Cena.  Cena by Barrett.  Barrett by Orton.  Sheamus by Orton.  I know Jericho is leaving, but to have him jobbed out in a minute and 30 seconds sucks.  Edge also sucks.  He should not be main eventing anymore because he's a joke in the ring.  It also annoys me that Sheamus didn't make a single elimination.  The final confrontation between Sheamus and Orton only lasted 54 seconds despite the show ending way early.  They should have had the two go at it for a little while.  But despite all this, it was still a decent match, and the crowd got the main event finish they wanted.  ***1/2.

Based on my star ratings, I'd give the show **1/2 out of *****, so a 5/10.

Going into Hell in a Cell, we can pretty much guarantee two matches on the Raw side of things.  The first is Sheamus getting a rematch against Randy Orton.  I'm not quite sure why Hell in a Cell is necessary or what reasoning they will use for the match.  Hell in a Cell is traditionally used to settle a long term confrontation where often outside interference was involved.  That certainly isn't the case with Sheamus and Orton.  Sheamus has become the best heel on Raw (with Jericho gone), but I'm afraid of what they'll have in store for him assuming his program with Orton will be kept short and be over after Hell in a Cell.

The other match for Hell in a Cell will be John Cena vs Wade Barrett.  This one makes much more sense.  The program has been going on for quite some time.  The Nexus have constantly been interfering.  So now Cena will get a one on one burial match with Wade Barrett.

I would be very surprised to see a rematch of Daniel and Miz, but two weeks doesn't exactly give enough times to set up a new US Title program.  Maybe we'll get Bryan vs Alex Riley instead.  If that's the case, talk about devaluing the United States Title.

Hell in a Cell has traditionally been one of WWE's strongest drawing stipulations.  With the continually bombing buy rates, specifically domestically, it will be interesting to see what this year's show does.  I can see the show doing slightly higher than the buy rates of Fatal 4way, Money in the Bank, and Night of Champions, but it will still be significantly down from previous years.  I also see Bragging Rights, which takes place only three weeks after Hell in a Cell, completely dying on PPV, maybe getting the lowest WWE buy rate of the year.

Tonight's Raw is a double taping from Indianapolis as the crew is heading to Europe over the next week.  So we will know exactly what to expect from the Raw side of things after tonight is complete.  Yes, there are only week between Night of Champions and Hell in a Cell, and both shows will be taped tonight for Raw.  The Smackdown crew is staying here, so at least we'll have two weeks to build the intrigue of another Kane vs Undertaker match.  Anyway, the tapings begin at 6:45pm tonight which means Raw will not be live, so please be careful posting any spoilers here, especially for tonight's show.  Before I go any further, let's have a quick recap of Night of Champions.  I'll rank the matches on a 5* basis.

~Dolph Ziggler d Kofi Kingston to retain the Intercontinental Championship.  It was a dull opener due to the fact that we've seen this match literally 10 times prior.  I can't see how they continue this program any longer. **1/2
~The Big Show d CM Punk.  Punk was so over with his hometown crowd (despite the fact that Jerry Lawler didn't seem to understand this).  Despite his best efforts, the crowd cheered Punk and booed Show throughout.  A nothing 5 minute match that Punk controlled but then was beaten out of nowhere with the knockout punch.  I have to assume this is the blow off to this feud. *1/2
~Daniel Bryan d The Miz to become the new United States Champion.  The match started a little slowly, but once the crowd got into it is was a very good match.  Alex Riley tried to interfere twice, but was knocked out both times.  Bryan won with the Labell Lock after a great struggle from The Miz.  Both men sold the title change big after the match.  This could be a major stepping stone match for both men going forward. ***3/4
~Michelle McCool d Melina to Unified the Divas and Womens Championships.  Just an awful, awful match.  The Lumberjills only made the match worse. *
~Kane d The Undertaker to retain the World Championship.  I hated this match.  I've hated this whole program between the vegetative state and Kane stealing Taker's magical powers bull****.  This feud started 13 years ago and doesn't need to be going on today.  The match dragged and dragged, and the crowd was completely dead.  As much as I hate to say it, The Undertaker looks done to me.  I don't understand how you build a Hell in a Cell match when the champion won clean in the middle of the ring.  **
~Drew McIntyre & Cody Rhodes won a Tag Team Turmoil Match to become the New WWE Tag Team Champions.  Well, this one was certainly stacked against the champions, The Hart Dynasty.  They didn't even let them get one victory as the interchangeable Uso brothers eliminated them.  Then quick "comedy" with Santino to have him eliminated by The Usos.  Henry and Bourne eliminated The Usos next.  Bourne was by far the most over person in the match despite WWE refusing to push him.  And then a slightly longer match with plenty of blown spots with Rhodes and McIntyre coming out on top.  I'm dreading have to watch McIntyre on Raw.  You guys can say what you want, but the man is so boring.  **1/2
~Randy Orton won the Six Pack Challenge to become the new WWE Champion.  The order of eliminations were Jericho by Orton.  Edge by Cena.  Cena by Barrett.  Barrett by Orton.  Sheamus by Orton.  I know Jericho is leaving, but to have him jobbed out in a minute and 30 seconds sucks.  Edge also sucks.  He should not be main eventing anymore because he's a joke in the ring.  It also annoys me that Sheamus didn't make a single elimination.  The final confrontation between Sheamus and Orton only lasted 54 seconds despite the show ending way early.  They should have had the two go at it for a little while.  But despite all this, it was still a decent match, and the crowd got the main event finish they wanted.  ***1/2.

Based on my star ratings, I'd give the show **1/2 out of *****, so a 5/10.

Going into Hell in a Cell, we can pretty much guarantee two matches on the Raw side of things.  The first is Sheamus getting a rematch against Randy Orton.  I'm not quite sure why Hell in a Cell is necessary or what reasoning they will use for the match.  Hell in a Cell is traditionally used to settle a long term confrontation where often outside interference was involved.  That certainly isn't the case with Sheamus and Orton.  Sheamus has become the best heel on Raw (with Jericho gone), but I'm afraid of what they'll have in store for him assuming his program with Orton will be kept short and be over after Hell in a Cell.

The other match for Hell in a Cell will be John Cena vs Wade Barrett.  This one makes much more sense.  The program has been going on for quite some time.  The Nexus have constantly been interfering.  So now Cena will get a one on one burial match with Wade Barrett.

I would be very surprised to see a rematch of Daniel and Miz, but two weeks doesn't exactly give enough times to set up a new US Title program.  Maybe we'll get Bryan vs Alex Riley instead.  If that's the case, talk about devaluing the United States Title.

Hell in a Cell has traditionally been one of WWE's strongest drawing stipulations.  With the continually bombing buy rates, specifically domestically, it will be interesting to see what this year's show does.  I can see the show doing slightly higher than the buy rates of Fatal 4way, Money in the Bank, and Night of Champions, but it will still be significantly down from previous years.  I also see Bragging Rights, which takes place only three weeks after Hell in a Cell, completely dying on PPV, maybe getting the lowest WWE buy rate of the year.

Former WWF Headliner Hospitalized with Alcohol Poisoning
Source: WrestlingObserver.com
TMZ reported that Joanie "Chyna" Laurer was rushed early today to UCLA Medical Center due to alcohol poisoning.  The report only lists her condition is unknown.

Former WWF Headliner Hospitalized with Alcohol Poisoning
Source: WrestlingObserver.com
TMZ reported that Joanie "Chyna" Laurer was rushed early today to UCLA Medical Center due to alcohol poisoning.  The report only lists her condition is unknown.

HIAC is the most stupid PPV, it shudda been removed. As 4W said it's a big draw match to settle long disputes, not just a stipulation to be raped for a crap PPV

HIAC is the most stupid PPV, it shudda been removed. As 4W said it's a big draw match to settle long disputes, not just a stipulation to be raped for a crap PPV

did u guys ever hear/read about the owen hart ghost sightins through the years?

did u guys ever hear/read about the owen hart ghost sightins through the years?

Idk 4w, think you're being a bit too critical of the PPV.

Well last night was probably the first time since the Royal Rumble where I just watched as a reg fan and tried not to over analyze it too much. So it was the best PPV since MITB, imo.

Idk 4w, think you're being a bit too critical of the PPV.

Well last night was probably the first time since the Royal Rumble where I just watched as a reg fan and tried not to over analyze it too much. So it was the best PPV since MITB, imo.

Originally Posted by hymen man

^ info?
The Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Mo. is one of the more famed arenas in the United States. It has held many memorable events, including several NCAA Final Four basketball games, the 1976 Republican National Convention, and a Paul McCartney concert the same year. But what the arena may also be hosting is a haunting.

The Kemper Arena was built within 18 months between the years of 1973 and 1974. It was the first major project of German architect Helmut Jahn, who became an important figure of his field at the time. It was built to play host to the city's professional basketball and hockey teams. The building was also revolutionary in its simple design, with it having no pillars on the inside to obstruct views and the roof being suspended by exterior steel trusses. The building cost $22 million to complete. The money came from numerous contributors, the largest of them being Rufus Crosby Kemper, a wealthy financier who funded many of Kansas City's projects and whom the arena was named after.

The arena received many architectural awards and had several prominent tenants including the Kansas City Scouts, now the New Jersey Devils (NHL), and the Kansas City Kings (NBA).

In 1979, a major storm caused a section of the roof nearly an acre wide to collapse. No one was injured because the arena was closed at the time. The collapse had been caused by rainwater gathering on the roof, causing it to sag. Another factor was that a bolt had given way, causing a chain reaction of other bolts to come loose. The arena was closed for the repairs and was reopened in less than a year.

It continued to host a multitude of sporting events including hockey, basketball, football, indoor soccer, and paintball. It also hosts professional wrestling venues, mainly for the WWE, which is where the ghost story for the Kemper Arena comes from.

On May 23, 1999, Owen Hart, brother of WWE Hall-of-Famer Bret Hart, died at a WWE pay-per-view (then known as the WWF) event when he fell from the rafters attempting a wrestling gimmick. He was supposed to be lowered into the arena on a cable when the release mechanism had somehow been triggered, having him fall nearly 80 feet on the ring ropes and then into the ring. While he did not die immediately from the fall, he was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital.

In the years since his death, there have been multiple reports of sightings of (the ghost of) Owen Hart. Employees have claimed to have seen him in the rafters wearing the costume he was wearing for his gimmick as well as the cable before he began the descent. There have also been reports of flickering lights and other power sources that seem to go on and off in some areas of the arena.

Owen Hart's death was an absolute tragedy for the wrestling world. For someone to lie about seeing the ghost of a person like Owen Hart would take a lot of nerve. However, it would not be the first time someone has. If he is haunting the Kemper Arena, it would make sense for him to be in the rafters, constantly reliving the events that led to his unfortunate demise. However, it would not make sense as it was known amongst the workers of WWF that he was afraid of heights, and had only done such a stunt very few times. The flickering lights and power losses could also be caused by faulty wiring or failing bulbs. But it is said that ghosts need energy to manifest and that they gather it from batteries and other appliances, so it could be Owen taking energy from the lights and outlets.

So, does the Kemper Arena still have someone performing there? There has been no way to prove if such a haunting exists as no one has attempted to investigate and have preferred to leave the issue alone. But someday, someone may try and evidence may be obtained to prove that Owen Hart ('s spirit) may still be among us.

Originally Posted by hymen man

^ info?
The Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Mo. is one of the more famed arenas in the United States. It has held many memorable events, including several NCAA Final Four basketball games, the 1976 Republican National Convention, and a Paul McCartney concert the same year. But what the arena may also be hosting is a haunting.

The Kemper Arena was built within 18 months between the years of 1973 and 1974. It was the first major project of German architect Helmut Jahn, who became an important figure of his field at the time. It was built to play host to the city's professional basketball and hockey teams. The building was also revolutionary in its simple design, with it having no pillars on the inside to obstruct views and the roof being suspended by exterior steel trusses. The building cost $22 million to complete. The money came from numerous contributors, the largest of them being Rufus Crosby Kemper, a wealthy financier who funded many of Kansas City's projects and whom the arena was named after.

The arena received many architectural awards and had several prominent tenants including the Kansas City Scouts, now the New Jersey Devils (NHL), and the Kansas City Kings (NBA).

In 1979, a major storm caused a section of the roof nearly an acre wide to collapse. No one was injured because the arena was closed at the time. The collapse had been caused by rainwater gathering on the roof, causing it to sag. Another factor was that a bolt had given way, causing a chain reaction of other bolts to come loose. The arena was closed for the repairs and was reopened in less than a year.

It continued to host a multitude of sporting events including hockey, basketball, football, indoor soccer, and paintball. It also hosts professional wrestling venues, mainly for the WWE, which is where the ghost story for the Kemper Arena comes from.

On May 23, 1999, Owen Hart, brother of WWE Hall-of-Famer Bret Hart, died at a WWE pay-per-view (then known as the WWF) event when he fell from the rafters attempting a wrestling gimmick. He was supposed to be lowered into the arena on a cable when the release mechanism had somehow been triggered, having him fall nearly 80 feet on the ring ropes and then into the ring. While he did not die immediately from the fall, he was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital.

In the years since his death, there have been multiple reports of sightings of (the ghost of) Owen Hart. Employees have claimed to have seen him in the rafters wearing the costume he was wearing for his gimmick as well as the cable before he began the descent. There have also been reports of flickering lights and other power sources that seem to go on and off in some areas of the arena.

Owen Hart's death was an absolute tragedy for the wrestling world. For someone to lie about seeing the ghost of a person like Owen Hart would take a lot of nerve. However, it would not be the first time someone has. If he is haunting the Kemper Arena, it would make sense for him to be in the rafters, constantly reliving the events that led to his unfortunate demise. However, it would not make sense as it was known amongst the workers of WWF that he was afraid of heights, and had only done such a stunt very few times. The flickering lights and power losses could also be caused by faulty wiring or failing bulbs. But it is said that ghosts need energy to manifest and that they gather it from batteries and other appliances, so it could be Owen taking energy from the lights and outlets.

So, does the Kemper Arena still have someone performing there? There has been no way to prove if such a haunting exists as no one has attempted to investigate and have preferred to leave the issue alone. But someday, someone may try and evidence may be obtained to prove that Owen Hart ('s spirit) may still be among us.

Back
Top Bottom