WTH? 4 cops in oakland shot and some of them died?

Just saw this news break. Someone musta just sprayed at a bunch of cops. Oakland is no joke.

RIP to the cops, even some police are some beezies, gotta feel bad for the families.

3 Oakland cops killed in 2 related incidents

Jaxon Van Derbeken, Demian Bulwa,Carolyn Jones, Chronicle Staff Writers

Saturday, March 21, 2009
Print E-mail
deliciousdel.icio.us
diggDigg
technoratiTechnorati
redditReddit
facebookFacebook slashdotSlashdot
farkFark
newsvineNewsvine
googleGoogle Bookmarks
Yahoo! Buzz
Share Comments (812)
Georgia (default)
Verdana
Times New Roman
Arial
Font | Size:

(03-21) 17:32 PDT OAKLAND -- Three Oakland police officers were shot and killed Saturday in a pair of related incidents, a fourth was critically wounded, and the suspect in the shootings was killed by a SWAT team officer, who was also wounded in the attack, law enforcement sources told The Chronicle.
Images
Police officers investigate the scene at 74th Avenue and ...Police investigate on 74th Avenue near MacArthur Boulevar...Police officers walk up MacArthur Boulevard near 73rd Ave... View More Images
Video
View Larger Size
More News

* Protests in Washington, Calif. call for war's end 03.21.09
* Report: Detained US reporters likely in Pyongyang 03.21.09
* Administration wants to buy up banks' toxic assets 03.21.09
* Protesters visit AIG officials' lavish Conn. homes 03.21.09

Two of the officers were gunned down about 1:15 p.m. after they pulled over a car in the 7400 block of MacArthur Boulevard, not far from the Eastmont Town Center.

About two hours later, two SWAT officers were shot when their team went after the suspect, who had hidden in an apartment building on 74th Avenue near Hillside Street, according to the two sources, who are close to the investigation but not authorized to speak publicly about it.

Three officers died in the attacks, and one was on life support late Saturday.

The suspect, who has not been identified, shot at the SWAT officers, who "returned fire in defense of their lives," said Officer Jeff Thomason, a department spokesman. The suspect, who police believe was acting alone, was killed.

"We've received four officers in the trauma center," said Patricia VanHook, a Highland Hospital spokeswoman, adding that no other information was available.

About 100 officers gathered outside the entrance to the hospital's emergency room, waiting desperately for information about their fallen colleagues. Some of them were wearing SWAT gear, while others were wearing baseball jerseys after having raced to the hospital from a game.

The officers' faces were grim as rumors about the fate of their fellow officers spread through the crowd.

While the Alameda County coroner was called to the hospital in response to the shootings, official information could be slow in coming, Thomason said.

"This is a highly sensitive situation that we're dealing with right now," he said. "We're still trying to notify family members."

First reports of the incident came from a 911 call at 1:16 p.m., reporting that two officers had been shot, possibly with an assault-type rifle. The suspect fled from the scene on foot, sparking a door-to-door manhunt in East Oakland that involved officers from at least five different law enforcement agencies.

Another anonymous tipster told police that the suspect was in an apartment building just blocks from the original shooting. The SWAT team was called to the site and took control of the area around the building.

At about 3:30 p.m., "we had SWAT officers go into that building, and that's where the second shooting took place," Thomason said.

According to unofficial reports, the SWAT team officers searched the building. But when they entered an apartment, they approached a closet where the suspect was hiding. He opened fire through the door, killing two officers and wounding a third. That third officer fired back, killing the gunman.

Hours after the shooting, dozens of officers still surrounded the shooting sites, with Oakland police joined by California Highway Patrol officers, Alameda County sheriff's deputies and BART police.

Young people gathered on street corners, as police shut down parts of MacArthur Boulevard and Hillside Street to make room for investigators.

Keith Sykes, who lives behind the apartment building where the suspect was killed, knew there was trouble when he heard the rush of sirens.

"When you see six or seven police cars, you know a cop's been hurt," he said.

Neighbors said they didn't believe that the gunman lived in the building where he was slain, but said "there's a lot of fussing" in that apartment building.

"It's sad," said Mark Green, another local resident. "I'll tell you this much, I'm going to church tonight."

There have been problems in that neighborhood.

Oakland police opened a substation at the Eastmont Town Center in 1992, responding to neighborhood complaints about crime and violence in the area. But the substation, built in an old tire shop, did not end the neighborhood's troubles.

In 1996, a rowdy rap concert in the mall turned into a melee, with a crowd lobbing bottles and rocks at police, cars and buses. Some of the concertgoers started racing their cars up and down the streets, and two men died after their car crashed through the fence of a nearby school playground.

In 1999, an Oakland police technician was shot at outside the police substation. In 2002, Michelle Horton of San Leandro was shot and killed as she drove on Bancroft Avenue near the mall.

there were a lot of cats hecklling the officers near the hospital and near the sites of the shootings on macarthur...pretty fukn sad...

like tupac said...wonda why they call u %$+#%

OPD .......

DAMN what a day in my old hood .

Highland is were i was born ... and 74th is around the conner , I use to stay off of 78th ...

so very sad, my buddy is a cop in livermore...hope it never happens to him. yet oakland is getting bad. this is just anohter black eye on the city'sreputation.

Originally Posted by themoy

so very sad, my buddy is a cop in livermore...hope it never happens to him. yet oakland is getting bad. this is just anohter black eye on the city's reputation.
I don't think he has anything to worry about being a cop in Livermore.

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

Originally Posted by themoy

so very sad, my buddy is a cop in livermore...hope it never happens to him. yet oakland is getting bad. this is just anohter black eye on the city's reputation.
I don't think he has anything to worry about being a cop in Livermore.

WHAT you didnt know .. LIVERMORE is the trap man ....

my bad, he's a cop in nearby san leandro, and lives in livermore. SL right next to oakland.

an eye for an eye , i dont see what the big deal is . ninjas get killed everyday , why is it a big deal when a cop dies ??? fuk theres more mothafukrs diein iniraq and no one speaks a word about them . im glad someone finaly said fuk it and fights back . i say fuk the system and anyone who helps protect it .

he killed four of them fukz !!!!!!!!! theres celibrations all over the streets in oakland right now . and they have every right to be celibrateing . what everhappend with oscar ??? the media stoped talkin about him . what happend to that cop ??? hes out free on bail !!! now tell me . .. . whats f'ed up aboutthat ?? do you think they would have let this guy go free on bail after shooting a few of those goones ?? proly not !!!

RIP . . . . . to the poor man that was brutaly slanged down yet again by these cold blooded murdering police . my condolences to his family . . . . .

i just heard what his family has to say and the system completely failed this man !!! his parole officer after three weeks would not even see him to get himstarted on looking for work or food or houseing !! and when he went to go see him at his office , he told him to leave and to " not go looking for him athis office , he would go looking him when his time was ready " what do they expect a man to do , just starve ??? i donno if any of you grew up out here inthese streets , but when times get ruff you gotta do what you gotta do to servive . homie proly had some dope on him and didnt want to go back !! bottom line ... the system failed him just like it does to countless others , and now the system gets what it deserves !!!! rip to all my fallen soldiers on the streets andin iraq . . . one love !!!!

^WTH?

i dont even know how to respond. Regardless tho, lovell killed 4 people he did not get murdered. By your way a thinking it was an eye for an eye.

murder :1.To kill (another human)
2.To kill brutally or inhumanly.
3.To put an end to; destroy: murdered their chances.
4.To spoil by ineptness; mutilate: a speech that murdered the English language.
5.Slang. To defeat decisively; trounce.
im sorry maza but the poor guy was MURDERED !!!

What the hell? The system? If he was a normal functioning individual in society, he wouldnt need the system to help him. Im glad hes off the streets now, morepeople like him should be too, too bad the 4 cops had to go down with him though.

you guys must be some silver spoon fed mother fuks that aint ever had to struggle or fight for a simple meal . thats where i came from and im one of the luckyones that got the oppertunity to get out . +!*! i make over 80k now and im only 24 years old . but i stay humble to the fact that i came from nothing . i knowwhat the " have nots " have to do on a daily to get by . i know what it feels like to not be able to provide for your family . sh!ts hard belive me!!! thats what leads cats to do what they have to ( hustlein , pimpin , robbin , stealin ) not because they want to , but out of necessity . like pac said" i aint never done a crime that i didnt have to do " if you dont give us a good education , or help provide for us then we will just become aproduct of our invirorment and just be some thugs . thats what the system wants thats what the system gets , and this is the final outcome . . .another deadbother . .. . dont be mad at lovell , be mad at his comunity for makeing him the man he became . RIP LOVELL !!!!!!

Originally Posted by dunwitjayz

you guys must be some silver spoon fed mother fuks that aint ever had to struggle or fight for a simple meal . thats where i came from and im one of the lucky ones that got the oppertunity to get out . +!*! i make over 80k now and im only 24 years old . but i stay humble to the fact that i came from nothing . i know what the " have nots " have to do on a daily to get by . i know what it feels like to not be able to provide for your family . sh!ts hard belive me !!! thats what leads cats to do what they have to ( hustlein , pimpin , robbin , stealin ) not because they want to , but out of necessity . like pac said " i aint never done a crime that i didnt have to do " if you dont give us a good education , or help provide for us then we will just become a product of our invirorment and just be some thugs . thats what the system wants thats what the system gets , and this is the final outcome . . .another dead bother . .. . dont be mad at lovell , be mad at his comunity for makeing him the man he became . RIP LOVELL !!!!!!
number 1: What does this situation about a guy that killed 4 cops have to do with anyone growing up. Homie popped 5 cops, the first two he poppedthem, stopped, and once they were down he unloaded more times.

number 2: you dont know me PERIOD. Don't assume cuz I actually agree with the cops in this situation that i must be silver spoon fed.

number 3: if you making 80K than if anything YOU eatin your cheerios with a silver spoon right now. You sounding real ignorant right now.

dunwitjayz wrote:
i just heard what his family has to say and the system completely failed this man !!! his parole officer after three weeks would not even see him to get him started on looking for work or food or houseing !! and when he went to go see him at his office , he told him to leave and to " not go looking for him at his office , he would go looking him when his time was ready " what do they expect a man to do , just starve ??? i donno if any of you grew up out here in these streets , but when times get ruff you gotta do what you gotta do to servive . homie proly had some dope on him and didnt want to go back !! bottom line . .. the system failed him just like it does to countless others , and now the system gets what it deserves !!!! rip to all my fallen soldiers on the streets and in iraq . . . one love !!!!
indifferent.gif
And how does it justify killing four people? BTW hewas a suspected for rape. Yup, I'm sure when you're family is in need of help they don't call 911 but, rather drug dealers,paroles and othercriminal element to help the out. $80k a year? I didn't realize that Mc Donalds paid that much?

Originally Posted by dunwitjayz

you guys must be some silver spoon fed mother fuks that aint ever had to struggle or fight for a simple meal . thats where i came from and im one of the lucky ones that got the oppertunity to get out . +!*! i make over 80k now and im only 24 years old . but i stay humble to the fact that i came from nothing . i know what the " have nots " have to do on a daily to get by . i know what it feels like to not be able to provide for your family . sh!ts hard belive me !!! thats what leads cats to do what they have to ( hustlein , pimpin , robbin , stealin ) not because they want to , but out of necessity . like pac said " i aint never done a crime that i didnt have to do " if you dont give us a good education , or help provide for us then we will just become a product of our invirorment and just be some thugs . thats what the system wants thats what the system gets , and this is the final outcome . . .another dead bother . .. . dont be mad at lovell , be mad at his comunity for makeing him the man he became . RIP LOVELL !!!!!!
the community doesn't make who he is. Sure he grew up in east O, so what plenty of dudes make it out without becoming a psycho. Just causeyou were born and raised in the hood don't mean you have to be a hoodlum.

Dunwitjayz.. you're an idiot.. thats all i gotta say... and you're probably just some little teenager still living off mommy and daddy trying to justact tuff online... and if youre done with jays why do you got some in your avi then?...

Back
Top Bottom