Y go to Maryland if you want to make it to the league?

I was just watching the MAryland and Fld St game and thinking where gist is playing...i googled him and he plays international ball. I cant think of any othersuccessful NBA players that were a product of Maryland... Dont say stevie francis cause he stayed one year, same thing with chris wilcox

baxter is in jail
profit dont know where he is.
blake is an exception
DO you think gary williams and scout team choose players who are sucky enough to stay 4 years?

College has nothing to do with playing in the L.

If you've got the talent and the drive, they'll find you.

My-T.

Wilcox left after his Sophmore Year... And yes, it's abot talent. I mean there are plently of guys who are beat in college and don't oan out when theyreach the league (word to the majority of over hyped Duke players). I would hope most GMs in the L don't draft based on school name
eyes.gif

In the case of Gist and other MD players the real question to look at is this:

Why stay in the league and make a sub par TAXABLE salary when you could go overseas and make just as much or more money TAX free?

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

College has nothing to do with playing in the L.

If you've got the talent and the drive, they'll find you.

My-T.
yeah this is the case for the lebrons kobes and etc ....

A lot of kids still have faith in Gary Williams, and UMD is probably the most respected school that recruited them.

Juan Dixon even though he has a subpar NBA career.
Sarunas Jasikevicus came to NBA after successful international career.
Joe Smith, Buck Williams, Walt Williams.
We all know Len Bias had the biggest upside though. RIP

But in reference to Gary Williams, supposedly when he recruits he does look for players who are gonna duke it out (np intended) with him for 4 years. Playershe'll be able to rely on for the 4 years. That's why you never hear about UMD getting any superstars and their mostly local recruits. (ie Gist,Vasquez, Francis, Dixon, T. Morris, W. Williams, Baxter, Blake, Booth, etc).

Originally Posted by DaRaiderfan

In the case of Gist and other MD players the real question to look at is this:

Why stay in the league and make a sub par TAXABLE salary when you could go overseas and make just as much or more money TAX free?

I think it's just the lifestyle in general. Even though they may not make as much as they would in Europe, the facilities and perks of playing in the NBAare much better. Plus moving to another country might be a big reason why also.

Every major college program goes through "boom and bust" type cycles that last anywhere from 2-10 years. Duke, UNC, UConn, Cuse, Wake, MSU, Kansas,Kentucky, and Georgetown have all been through it in the last decade and they will continue to. Recruit's just dont make out as good as they thought theywould and the program rebuilds, it's just something that happens in college sports. The talent is def here in the area, Montrose, Good Counsel, Dematha,MacNemara(sp?), Dunbar, Notre Dame are all huge names on the National scene yet UMD only gets a hand full of their players. I'm not a Terp fan and neverhave been(Hoya house ftw), but UMD will be good again.
I also think that Gary Williams is "old school" coach in a sense that he stresses fundamental basketball before ANYTHING else, even personal talent.This type of basketball is really successful in college because most college coaches share this way of thinking. Then when these dudes get to the league afterbeing so focused on the "team" concept, they have no idea what to do when a coach just let's them play like most coaches in the NBA do. It'skinda hard to be successful when you play systematic ball for your college career, then someone passes you the ball and says "go" with no in-depthplays. The only players that end up being successful in the league after coming out of a "system" are the ones that had the most individual talent tobegin with, and were able to incorporate their talents into the system.

I've heard that when players of the caliber of Kevin Durant and Michael Beasley meet with Gary Williams that they don't like him which is why theeydon't come to Maryland. I mean you have pllayers staying 3 to 4 years at other schools that are from this area, but apparently they just don't likeGary. He honstly needs to go if we are ever going to go anywhere but they aren't going to let him go or Friedgen so we will continue to be subpar and havedoodoo recruiting classes for our flagship sports.

Not "liking" your coach isn't always a bad thing...

Williams took over an ACC program in complete shambles, and eventually won a NCAA championship. And took a very young team (Simpkins, Rhoads, Hipp, Booth,Smith) farther than any other coach would have IMO.

He ain't going no where until he's ready to go.

Have you seen Beasley play this season in Miami or last year at State? Even with all the talent he has, he ain't Gary Williams material for obviousreasons...

Steve Blake an "exception"?
grin.gif
Dude been playing like he playssince his high school days. NBA is all about opportunity, fit, luck, and he's getting the PT.

Did you guys read the article about PG county.....none of those kids went to Maryland all im saying is that Maryland is not known for great NBA players... Andthey are boring to watch the last couple of years

Originally Posted by Rightguard

Did you guys read the article about PG county.....none of those kids went to Maryland all im saying is that Maryland is not known for great NBA players... And they are boring to watch the last couple of years
Great NBA players, no....but, you do know that UMD has put more dudes in the L, than schools in the DMV like G'Town.

*and are you talking about UMD not being known for great NBA players, or the state of Maryland as a whole??? Cause if it's the latter, you are off base.

Fifteen locals suit up for BCS conference schools, including UNC's Ty Lawson, Duke's Nolan Smith, Pitt's Sam Young and Georgetown's Austin Freeman and Chris Wright. In the past three years, the county has produced six McDonald's All-Americans-more than any state except California, which has 43 residents for every one of PG's. "This place is unique because of the level of talent and commitment to the game," says Hoyas coach John Thompson III. "People here are highly knowledgeable about basketball, and kids start learning at a very young age."

eek.gif

this is the part that gets me...If I was a UMD alum *cough* Rock *cough*, I'd be pissed....

"This summer we got about 40 college coaches at our games," Malone says. "We'd have had 50, but our two top players [Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton] had already signed." And Duke's Mike Krzyzewski is the one who landed them. The local pipeline runs off to the mid-majors, too. "If we don't canvass Prince George's, we can't compete," says George Mason coach Jim Larranaga. He has two assistants who scout PG regularly.

smh.gif
no mention of Gary ANYWHERE in the whole article...

here's the link for those of you who haven't read it...it's a GREAT read, and gives some wonderful insight...

Link

im speaking UMD itself... Im not going into research and find every player that amde it to the league that was an alum of maryland, but concentrate morerecently who the terps are scouting. Do you think any terp has a chance to develop in the league? Vazquez no milbourne maybe

basically its not exciting to watch them anymore.. TI beleive that there basketball program has been falling off the radar since 2002

yall are underestimating overseas ball. they put you up and give you a good amount of bread so thats a win win to this guy even though it isn't nba bread

I personally think Garys time has run its course. I AM a UMD Grad and not that Im a Booster, it says alot that I hold on to school ties of Texas A&M (WhereI went my Freshman Year) more than I do UMD.

Gary is known for putting guys in the L, and I think he even uses that as gab for recruits...but again. Stevie Blake is the exception as well as Javvi forCleveland. Gary DOES have his way of doing things, but he must realize these aren't the same types of kids coming up and hard love ALL the time aint ALWAYSgonna cut it when you have middle of the road talent surrounding a few good guys.

Plus kids talk when they are on the AAU circuit as well as the All American Circuit and although I am now a big fan of Under Armour they aren't goin tohelp recruiting. Let me add this nugget which is actually well known around Alums.

Debbie Yow is not a fan of Gary Williams at ALL.. All she needs is huge backlash from Boosters and another poo poo season and GW is GONE.

G-town owes their Basketball Life to John Thompson Jr (Big John) because they will always be known and regarded nationally. Maryland will NEVER be that. HavingJordan outfit them doesn't hurt either.

Being able to tell your Recruits MJ may visit your school once a year and designers will come out to you every season to get insight on what you want in yourshoe goes a long way and pretty much wants you to stay AT LEAST 2 years to see whats coming next.

I look at the Terps yearly and sadly I say they all could easily be Wizards and the Wizards wouldn't lose a step.

Thats not a compliment.

its because the players that have the talent dont wanna play for gary williams. and some coaches dont teach players to be great nba players, they teach how tofit in the college system like gary and coach k

Lets also look at Gary's scheme. He runs the flex offense. Traditionally Maryland always had decent big men (Obinna Ekezie, Wilcox, Baxter, Holden, evenRyan Randle
eyes.gif
)to balance the offense. No one shines in that scheme unlessyou're an exceptional offensive threat.

Juan Dixon was an exception.

Imagine if Mike Jones was in a different offensive scheme...

If I was Debbie Yow I'd be upset to

Gary Williams base salary: 381,840
Debbie Yow's Salary: 366,000
I'd be salty too....

Didn't read all the replies, but I will say that talent is going to be found. Look at Stephen Curry. No one outside of the area in which the school islocated knew anything about the school. But on the biggest stage, he played lights out ball and now has commentators all over his nuts.

Back
Top Bottom