YELLOWED MIDSOLES on AF1s - any advice pls ?

I am not saying "grind down on them midsoles" I am saying that if you "chip away" you will be able to get at the white in a thin thin layer...

I am not saying "grind down on them midsoles" I am saying that if you "chip away" you will be able to get at the white in a thin thin layer...

wooow ive been tryanna make my jordan camp23 midsole white.. thanks for the info!

wooow ive been tryanna make my jordan camp23 midsole white.. thanks for the info!

I tried the toothpaste thingy over the weekend. I brushed the gel into the midsoles and let it sit for 2 days, then rinsed/brushed off. It came out aight, but nowhere near scones' snakes. Can someone please share their technique? I looked at the restoration post, but it is a huge post.

I tried the toothpaste thingy over the weekend. I brushed the gel into the midsoles and let it sit for 2 days, then rinsed/brushed off. It came out aight, but nowhere near scones' snakes. Can someone please share their technique? I looked at the restoration post, but it is a huge post.

Mr. Clean magic eraser. The two or four pack. I guarantee it will work. Your welcome.

seaglow_02-786837.jpg

Mr. Clean magic eraser. The two or four pack. I guarantee it will work. Your welcome.

seaglow_02-786837.jpg

I've been using the whitenin gel for a minute. I apply before bed, then let it sit over night and most of the day til I get home from work.

From there I brush it off with a toothbrush and water. Then repeat the process again a few hours later before I go to sleep.

You gotta do it 3-4 times at least. But depending on the yellowing it could be more.

I've been using the whitenin gel for a minute. I apply before bed, then let it sit over night and most of the day til I get home from work.

From there I brush it off with a toothbrush and water. Then repeat the process again a few hours later before I go to sleep.

You gotta do it 3-4 times at least. But depending on the yellowing it could be more.

^^^Thanks for your input, bro. I used to use the Mr. Clean eraser thing, but I swear the shoes I used it on were the ones that yellowed. Thank God I only used em on a handfull of pairs, and not all of those yellowed. Out of close to 300 pairs of shoes though, the only ones that yellowed were the ones I used the Mr.Clean on. Maybe I didn't rinse em off good enough. I'm gonna try reapplying the tooth gel and see how it works.

^^^Thanks for your input, bro. I used to use the Mr. Clean eraser thing, but I swear the shoes I used it on were the ones that yellowed. Thank God I only used em on a handfull of pairs, and not all of those yellowed. Out of close to 300 pairs of shoes though, the only ones that yellowed were the ones I used the Mr.Clean on. Maybe I didn't rinse em off good enough. I'm gonna try reapplying the tooth gel and see how it works.

if I may chime in, MaZA has it exactly right. that is precisely the process I've used the 3 times I've done it on forces and it's worked wonders with minimal effort. you can do it for several days to varying levels of affect. this will work on any rubber midsole shoe that has yellowed from age.

sanding also can work, and it's actually helpful for any pesky spots you can't get to whiten from the gel. you have to use a fine grit, and you don't want to rub all the texture off the midsole. I have taken tough stains out with sandpaper without noticeably altering the texture of the midsole.

seaglow also works (I haven't tried, but i've seen before and after from other restorers), but it's a lot more expensive than the plus white, so there's no point in using it unless you already have extra laying around.

and of course, the rubber can yellow again, it's oxidization, all it takes is time. but at least you know what to do if you really want to get them white again.

also, I'm pretty sure the kicks Zach13g posted are ajko's, not af1's. correct me if i'm wrong.

if I may chime in, MaZA has it exactly right. that is precisely the process I've used the 3 times I've done it on forces and it's worked wonders with minimal effort. you can do it for several days to varying levels of affect. this will work on any rubber midsole shoe that has yellowed from age.

sanding also can work, and it's actually helpful for any pesky spots you can't get to whiten from the gel. you have to use a fine grit, and you don't want to rub all the texture off the midsole. I have taken tough stains out with sandpaper without noticeably altering the texture of the midsole.

seaglow also works (I haven't tried, but i've seen before and after from other restorers), but it's a lot more expensive than the plus white, so there's no point in using it unless you already have extra laying around.

and of course, the rubber can yellow again, it's oxidization, all it takes is time. but at least you know what to do if you really want to get them white again.

also, I'm pretty sure the kicks Zach13g posted are ajko's, not af1's. correct me if i'm wrong.

sorry that I don't have "before" pics, but here's a vintage pair of '95 canvas AF1's I just finished whitening this weekend.  they were very yellow, took about 6 applications of the plus white gel over about 12 days (i left it on for a couple days in most cases because I wasn't home).  this pic is in 100% natural light.  before, the midsole was nowhere close to the same color as the swoosh/heel tab. I'll try to edit this and add the before pic later on. 

sorry that I don't have "before" pics, but here's a vintage pair of '95 canvas AF1's I just finished whitening this weekend.  they were very yellow, took about 6 applications of the plus white gel over about 12 days (i left it on for a couple days in most cases because I wasn't home).  this pic is in 100% natural light.  before, the midsole was nowhere close to the same color as the swoosh/heel tab. I'll try to edit this and add the before pic later on. 

Multiple applications of the whitening gel worked wonders for me. I'm currently experimenting with the technique on a pair of old Trainer 3's (the hard plastic parts). I'll let y'all know how it works

Back
Top Bottom