You guys ever apply or take a job on the other side of the country/ far away from "home"

My boy has a sweet gig, told me I should look into cause of the amazing benefits and ability to move up.
I look at their site, looks like most the openings are in Cali and stuff. I`m from GA. This is an Entry Level Job. I make decent money now for a great company, but its OD political and kinda stressful at the spot Im at. Thinking about applying to this gig for the heck of it. 

Thoughts?

Only if the money was significantly more then what I was currently making. Ain't no place like home but you gotz ta get to that money mane.

if its the ssame moneis then u gotta consider the living cost of the job in cali.

I got an offer from Virginia, were going to hire me straight up, no interview other than the phone calls, just off my resume and recommendations from my supervisor, but I didn't think the money was worth it since I know cost of living is OD expensive up there. They have cost of living calculators out there so you can compare your current lifestyle to your potential new destination, plus figure at least 2 grand in initial expenses like security deposit where ever you are going to live, moving, cut on fees of cable, internet, etc. If you make good money now, to make the same kind of money comparibly in California is going to be a lot because GA has one of the best cost of livings in the country.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/...living/costofliving.html

http://www.bankrate.com/c...f-living-calculator.aspx

applying to jobs on the west coast right now...lazyj
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by odog24

if its the ssame moneis then u gotta consider the living cost of the job in cali.

oh of course I would assume that the pay would be market based. 45k in GA def aint living normally in Cali especially a place like San Fran or something.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

I got an offer from Virginia, were going to hire me straight up, no interview other than the phone calls, just off my resume and recommendations from my supervisor, but I didn't think the money was worth it since I know cost of living is OD expensive up there. They have cost of living calculators out there so you can compare your current lifestyle to your potential new destination, plus figure at least 2 grand in initial expenses like security deposit where ever you are going to live, moving, cut on fees of cable, internet, etc. If you make good money now, to make the same kind of money comparibly in California is going to be a lot because GA has one of the best cost of livings in the country.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/...living/costofliving.html

http://www.bankrate.com/c...f-living-calculator.aspx
yea mane, I wish they had something in GA but its like EVERYTHING is in Cali, my boy got a company car and gas card that he gets to use and doesn't have to turn in, but apartment and all that is probably OD high in cali

Consider a roommate, an NTer even. I've seen posts like that. They also have those temporary house share type programs. I'm in a similar boat as you though, I make good money for where I live, if I move somewhere else to maintain this standard of living at the least would have to double my pay. Some cost of living calculators between here and NYC said 2.2x and even doing the math and looking at CL apartment ads just hypothetically, I think that is a low estimate. I kind of want to move out there to ATL but all their bases are closing or reserve bases and I'd prefer to work for the military as a DA Civilian or CTR.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Consider a roommate, an NTer even. I've seen posts like that. They also have those temporary house share type programs. I'm in a similar boat as you though, I make good money for where I live, if I move somewhere else to maintain this standard of living at the least would have to double my pay. Some cost of living calculators between here and NYC said 2.2x and even doing the math and looking at CL apartment ads just hypothetically, I think that is a low estimate. I kind of want to move out there to ATL but all their bases are closing or reserve bases and I'd prefer to work for the military as a DA Civilian or CTR.

like right now I work in the Retail Channel for one of the top Tech Companies out there, I took the job primarily so I could get my foot in the company and then apply to a position in Corporate because its near impossible to get into corporate unless you intern with them because they only higher from within. With my degree of course I feel over qualified to be working Retail hours, but I make more then the avg college grad, and Im single with no kids so I make a good living with full benefits and tuition reimbursement. I want to apply to a manager gig because it will look better when I apply to MBA programs, but I gotta wait a full year, and a ton of gigs in ATL just opened up and I was trying to get placed there since thats where I`m from. My manager said shed talk to me about these positions so we can go over my qualifications (I was hired directly by the District manager so she hasn't even seen my resume) because she could approve me to be able to interview for those gigs but I doubt she will 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by odog24

oh of course I would assume that the pay would be market based. 45k in GA def aint living normally in Cali especially a place like San Fran or something.
even if you are going to pay more for housing and stuff it might be worth it depending if you can move up on the ladder in your new job and get in a better position and you will get more experience. 

Do it if you're young and single. I'm probably going to be doing it pretty soon because I don't really have any one/thing tying me down to where I live now. Gotta go out there and experience new things, people, and get a different perspective on life. If you hate it, move back.

Back
Top Bottom