Young Cannabis Smokers Risk Lower IQ's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19372456

cliffs:

• a 1,000 subject study was conducted over the last two decades tracking adolescents (now in their 30's) people who smoked cannabis 4+ times a week
  • the subjects' IQ was tested at the start of the study (age 18 or under) and at the end (age 20-30).
  • for those starting smoking before they're 18, there seems to be a correlation between smoking often and declining IQ's

What do you guys think?
Personally, I was inclined to believe this even before reading the study. Smoking for non medicinal purposes more than 4x a week is O.D anyways, IMO.

Having taken into account other factors such as alcohol or tobacco dependency or other drug use, as well the number of years spent in education, they found that those who persistently used cannabis - smoking it at least four times a week year after year through their teens, 20s and, in some cases, their 30s - suffered a decline in their IQ.

So they take into account alcohol and tobacco dependency which is a neurotoxin and is scientifically shown to kill neurons, and Cannabis is the reason? Give me a break. :lol: :smh: I don't know who is to blame the researchers or the irresponsible reporting? :lol:

So don't let your kids smoke weed till they become adults. It reports that its only harmful to youth. Your IQ will pretty much remain the same when you reach adulthood. Not very shocking, less harmful than tv imo

For any benefit they find cannabis has, they will publish a counter detriment to match.

Too many variables plus the fact that the IQ was originally a propaganda test created to justify sterilization and ill treatment of non- whites.

IMO if you smoked everyday since 18 - 30 of course your iq gonna drop. But what else do these people do? What do they do for a living? How much do they have to stimulate their brain to complete their daily task?
What I'm getting at is how often does said person have to use their brain??

If you work the same menial task that doesn't require much thinking for 20 years straight and don't vary or do anything outside of that norm, I'm sure there would be a comparable IQ drop as well.

OMG seriously :wow:

PANDEMONIUM!!!!!!!

late pass 4 u op

So they take into account alcohol and tobacco dependency which is a neurotoxin and is scientifically shown to kill neurons, and Cannabis is the reason? Give me a break. :lol: :smh: I don't know who is to blame the researchers or the irresponsible reporting? :lol:

True.

I started smoking @ 20. Today I'm 25. I have a career, degree, etc. I'm well off. My classmates who started smoking @ 13 have no jobs, are doing nothing, and are already being labeled failures by their peers.

I can't say for certain there is a correlation..but I think that there could be one.

there is some weight to the study when you see a lot of these bone heads who started smoking in their younger days...

I didnt become a regular smoker till my last year in high school + college

I took that sentence to mean that they were controlling for variations in possible alcohol and tobacco use amongst subjects, but I could be wrong.

For any benefit they find cannabis has, they will publish a counter detriment to match.
Too many variables plus the fact that the IQ was originally a propaganda test created to justify sterilization and ill treatment of non- whites.
IMO if you smoked everyday since 18 - 30 of course your iq gonna drop. But what else do these people do? What do they do for a living? How much do they have to stimulate their brain to complete their daily task?
What I'm getting at is how often does said person have to use their brain??
If you work the same menial task that doesn't require much thinking for 20 years straight and don't vary or do anything outside of that norm, I'm sure there would be a comparable IQ drop as well.

It's so weird because we were just talking about intelligence in ky psych class the other day and how the IQ isn't as substantial as people make it out to be. There are many different theories mbout intelligence. So people think its concrete and something you're born with while others think its developed and can increase.

This could measure IQ itself but it doesn't really mean much to me. Giving a still developing kid weed as well as a number of other things will impact some brain function and intelligence.

Typos due to my phone

Last edited:
ha, people will ALWAYS refute any type of study where it says weed is bad for you in any way.

It's so weird because we were just talking about intelligence in ky psych class the other day and how the IQ isn't as substantial as people make it out to be. There are many different theories mbout intelligence. So people think its concrete and something you're born with while others think its developed and can increase.
This could measure IQ itself but it doesn't really mean much to me. Giving a still developing kid weed as well as a number of other things will impact some brain function and intelligence.
Typos due to my phone

The more "scientific" studies I have seen about intelligence lately leads more to the idea that smartness is flexible. It's like muscles. You could have certain predispositions to make you better in certain areas, but if you don't stretch, tear and rebuild your muscles ( work them out) they become atrophic.

Like me, I'm 5'11. Not ideal height for basketball considering the avg height of most good players, but there are still guys my height and smaller that have tuned their bodies to compete.

I read an article on PhysOrg that I can't find at the moment that spoke about the flexibility of memory and how we never really forget things. It's just the nueral pathways in the brain get burned out, clogged up and unable to transmit signals and we can't reach that part of the brain like we used to. There is a form a neural maintenance that can be very beneficial to human brain function. It made an analogy to the brain (neural network being like a network of trees much like in Avatar movie) being like a wild un-kept forest with age with things growing every which way and chaotic. Says a healthy brain is more like a well kept garden that is tended to. If I can find it I'll post it.

Back
Top Bottom