Your Favorite Sports Tradition?

A lot of teams have a tradition that they are known for. My favorite tradition is from a team that I am not even a fan of, but I have always thought it wasill.

[h3]
340x.jpg

[/h3] [h3]
[/h3] [h3]Fan Tradition: The Octopus
[/h3]
Main article: Legend of the Octopus

The "Legend of the Octopus" is a sports tradition during Detroit Red Wings home playoff games, in which an octopus is thrown onto the ice surface for good luck.[sup][15][/sup]

During the playoffs, Joe Louis Arena is generally adorned with a giant octopus with red eyes, nicknamed "Al" after Joe Louis Arena head ice manager Al Sobotka.

The 1952 playoffs featured the start of the tradition-the octopus throw. The owner of a local fish market, Peter Cusimano, threw one from the stands onto the ice. The eight legs were purportedly symbolic of the eight wins it took to win the Stanley Cup at the time. The Red Wings went on to sweep both of their opponents that year en route to a Stanley Cup championship. The NHL has, at various times, tried to eliminate this tradition but it continues to this day.

There is a certain etiquette that must be followed for fans that wish to throw octopuses onto the ice. The most appropriate time to throw an octopus onto the ice is after the national anthem is sung or after the Red Wings have scored a goal. Under these circumstances, the eight-legged creature must be thrown onto the ice surface in an area that is clear of all players. It is never acceptable to aim for opposing players. Beforehand, octopuses are usually boiled in by fans to reduce the amount of "slime" coating and facilitate the time it takes to clean up the ice and prevent further delay. Since Joe Louis Arena does not condone the throwing of any foreign objects onto the ice, fans often sneak the sea creatures in wrapped around their bellies in trash bags. The boiling process also lessens the odor and allows the fans to get past security. Tactics are also used to protect the identity of octopus-throwers from arena security. It is common practice for the hurler to ask the surrounding people to stand up with him to shroud the task in anonymity.

Al Sobotka is the man responsible for removing the thrown creatures from the ice. He is known for swinging the tossed octopuses above his head when walking off the ice. On April 19th, 2008, NHL director of hockey operations Colin Campbell sent a memo to the Detroit Red Wings organization that forbids Zamboni drivers from cleaning up any octopuses thrown onto the ice and that violating the mandate would result in a $10,000 fine.[sup][16][/sup] Instead, it will be the linesmen who will perform this duty. In an email to the Detroit Free Press NHL spokesman Frank Brown justified the ban because "matter flies off the octopus and gets on the ice" when Al Sobotka does it.[sup][17][/sup]This ban, however, was later loosened to allow for the octopus twirling to take place at the zamboni entrance.[sup][18][/sup]

What's yours?

[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Redwings#cite_note-17[/sup]

Haha when i saw the title it was the first thing i thought of.

G.O.A.T. of sports tradiations. Wings
pimp.gif

that is cool....

the waving of the towels before the playoffs in Vancouver is cool even though every team's fans wave rally towels now.

I like whenever football teams all hit something before running out onto the field (Like the "PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION" sign @ Notre Dame or the rock atClemson) I think that is cool as hell. I dunno I am struggling to think of others right now...damn

^
laugh.gif
What is that? They're just burning their flags. As a Laker fan, I was not aware of that.

Originally Posted by CL2423

^
laugh.gif
What is that? They're just burning their flags. As a Laker fan, I was not aware of that.

Nah fam thats the championship celebration

Originally Posted by Frankie CALentino

"YOOOOO MELKKKKYYY!!!!" *clap clap clap clap*

First thing that came to mind
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Box seats suck, Box Seats suck
roll.gif

Other than the aforementioned Octopus (which spawned many bad imitators... see Florida Panthers), there are a few that I've always been partial to. In noparticular order:

1. The Post-Series handshake between hockey teams. More sports should do this. It's just plain right. Its not team specific, but so what?
2. Clemson coming down the hill. I always thought it was mad dangerous to have a bunch of dude running dow a relatively steep hill before a game, but it'sstill cool as hell...
3. Miami running thru the smoke. I know many a team have adopted the practice, but dude... Miami in the 80s and 90s running thru that smoke cloud was DOPE.
4. Go Blue! The M Club Supports You!
5. J-E-T-S, Jets Jets Jets! I dunno why. I guess because professional teams dont really have fight songs that aren't thought up by drunken idiots or oldfat guys with brat grease on their shirts, I've always been partial to this, cuz it never changes, no matter how bad the team is...
6. Skating around the ice with the Stanley Cup. That's like the best tradition ever created. Nobody comes close. I know it's not a team thing, butit's the best one.

Now that I think about it, Hockey probably has the most traditions out of any sport I can think of.

Oh and they always play "In the air tonight" prior to the start of each home game. Don't think its that widely recognized but still an awesomesong right before a game

1. The Post-Series handshake between hockey teams. More sports should do this. It's just plain right. Its not team specific, but so what?
Co-sign. I think they sort of do it in football too (the handshake between the coaches, etc.), but they never do it in the NBA.
tired.gif
Or, they rarely do it.

Back
Top Bottom